• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    So my workplace does not allow me to carry while I'm on the job. It specifically says in the paperwork that my firearm can come on to property, but that it must stay in the car (fat lot of good may it do me there).

But this leads to my question, where is the best place to stow it while I'm working? I've done so much research over the last few weeks that facts are starting to dance in my head, but I believe I remember that it needs to be in plain sight? Or do I have that exactly wrong?

Does anybody have experience with those holsters that mount under the steering wheel?

Or if it needs to be stowed out of sight, is glove compartment, center console, or trunk preferable?

I am already well aware that regardless of where I stow my handgun I definitely don't want it to be in the same spot as my registration and proof of insurance. I no more want to be reaching in the direction of a gun when a LEO is chatting with me than he/she would want me to.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Why would you want it to be in plain sight? Out of sight so people that may be looking to do a smash and grab won't see your stuff.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    There are many, many options. Just try one out and see if you like it.
    Storage in a 'holster' in the open would probably not be a good idea. Would be ok while driving.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Some front seats have a back pocket. I keep a couple extra magazines there and will slip a holstered pistol too when necessary. I keep a half a roll of paper towels or cloth rag to cover it.

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    My OWB holster slides nicely between the wires under the seat holding it secure. If you look under the seat you won't even notice it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Safest place in the car?

Deep conceal means deep conceal. :draw:

If you have to leave them in the car, why not get a gun safe and permanently mount it or cable mount it (easily clipped) for the handguns and receiver clamp-locks for your rifles and shotguns.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    So my workplace does not allow me to carry while I'm on the job. It specifically says in the paperwork that my firearm can come on to property, but that it must stay in the car (fat lot of good may it do me there).

But this leads to my question, where is the best place to stow it while I'm working? I've done so much research over the last few weeks that facts are starting to dance in my head, but I believe I remember that it needs to be in plain sight? Or do I have that exactly wrong?

Does anybody have experience with those holsters that mount under the steering wheel?

Or if it needs to be stowed out of sight, is glove compartment, center console, or trunk preferable?

I am already well aware that regardless of where I stow my handgun I definitely don't want it to be in the same spot as my registration and proof of insurance. I no more want to be reaching in the direction of a gun when a LEO is chatting with me than he/she would want me to.

Do not store it in plain sight. That's a good was to give a criminal a free gun. I would either invest in a number combo lock box (you can't loose the keys) with a cable wire or put it in a lock box in your trunk.

I can lock the trunk release from the driver seat in my car so that I can store it in there for safe keeping but I still prefer to get a lock box.

Whatever you do, don't make it easy for someone to steal.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

You are better off than some who can't even take it to the parking lot. At least the parking lot law allows you to have it on the way to work and back home. Want to go somewhere after right work? You can be armed. That was a big step forward when it was passed in 2010.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Storage should be in one of two areas, center console or glovebox. The trunk is no good because of the advertising factor. Plain sight always a no no. With an under the steering wheel holster never leave the gun in there, that should be for drive time only. I don't want a visible holster in the car, again advertising.

This is my set up. I have a visor storage place to keep my registration and other papers, pens, lighter, etc. in. I use the under the steer wheel system and a product called SeatCarry that I can put the whole rig in while seated in my car or you can use just to carry your gun in.

Perhaps one of the best things you can do is keep your mouth shut about guns at work as much as possible. I carried to work years ago even though it was against company policy and no one knew because I told no one.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I always have a bunch of trash and papers in passenger floorboard so I just put my gun under the floor mat and cover it with trash. Figure nobody will get past the napkins I use to blow my nose with. :rolleyes:

half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I always have a bunch of trash and papers in passenger floorboard so I just put my gun under the floor mat and cover it with trash. Figure nobody will get past the napkins I use to blow my nose with. :rolleyes:
    :laugh:

I once got pulled over for speeding, and the officer gave me a breathalyzer and asked if I had pills in the car (I think he was bored, I had already told him I was on my way to work). I was so shocked by the question that I answered immediately and told him no.

He then asked me if he searched my car, would he find any pills, and I told him I had a hard time finding my cigarette lighter when I needed it. Looking back, I think I was lucky my smart mouth didn't land me in hot water, he just laughed and sent me on my way. :):

sca1985

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    I would get a lock box bolted to the floor in the trunk. I have had a few friends get their cars broken into and the gun taken from the glove box or center consule. These are just the obvious place criminals are going to look if they break into your car. You can get the gun out before you drive home.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County

^^ lol, good idea ^^

I would get a lock box bolted to the floor in the trunk. I have had a few friends get their cars broken into and the gun taken from the glove box or center consule. These are just the obvious place criminals are going to look if they break into your car. You can get the gun out before you drive home.

^^ I totally agree ^^ I think they always look in glove box and center consule and probably a quick glance under the seats.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    My problem with the trunk lockbox is, instead of putting it somewhere inside the vehicle where you can discretely put the gun in, you would have to get out of the car, open the trunk, either pull the gun from your carry holster or put the whole carry holster into the lock box, all in plain sight of anyone around the area. I would say a lock box is a good idea, but only if you can put it inside the vehicle where you can lock the gun up without getting out and advertising that you are putting something in your trunk.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    My problem with the trunk lockbox is, instead of putting it somewhere inside the vehicle where you can discretely put the gun in, you would have to get out of the car, open the trunk, either pull the gun from your carry holster or put the whole carry holster into the lock box, all in plain sight of anyone around the area. I would say a lock box is a good idea, but only if you can put it inside the vehicle where you can lock the gun up without getting out and advertising that you are putting something in your trunk.

Unholste while in your car then hide it while safely walking it to your trunk. It's not hard folks.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    No safe means it's not safe

Don't believe for a minute your gun is secure in your car unless it is locked in a safe-like device out of sight and bolted down solidly. Locked consoles and glove boxes are so easy to pop it's ridiculous and will be opened by thieves. Getting out of the car and putting a gun in your trunk is much like placing a "steal my gun" sign in the window. Save the damage to your car and just leave your gun on the trunk lid. If you must leave your gun in your car, there are already too many people who know about it. Please tell us where you work and describe your car.

half-glocked

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    If you must leave your gun in your car, there are already too many people who know about it. Please tell us where you work and describe your car.

:D

I... ummmm.. well... OOOH, I know! I... don't work, I get to work by walking to the mailbox to pick up my unemployment check. False alarm everyone, but thanks anyway. :whistle:

Seriously, though, are there any lock-box brands that are sturdier/more thief-resistant than others. I guess I'm picturing in my mind how easy it was for my older brothers to break into my journal when I was younger. As upset as I was back then, I'd be wayyyy more upset if it happened with my baby. :boxing:

reesez

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Chevyville
    I would ask them about it. I did at Kenworth in Indy. They prohibit firearms on site. I told them I commute 45 minutes to work, I am not going back home to get my firearm just to shoot at the range after work. They asked HR, and I was excused as long as the ammo was not next to the gun and readily available.

Top Bottom