• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    So, I was given a 14 gun sentry safe and have the combination. We used the to open it before it was transported to my home.

Once we got it to the house and set up in a temporary location, we attempted to open it and it refuses to cooperate. We follow the instructions to the letter and I am confident that we are using the correct code. The handle acts like it wants to turn but it only rotates about 1/4 an inch before it stops. It acts as though something is hung up and stopping the bolts from retracting.

Aside from damaging the safe, does anyone have any ideas? I've tried applying pressure to the handle and pushing the door in while entering the combo as well as reversing the direction and any other trick the interwebb has offered up.

Any suggestions?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think you are on the right track. A locksmith is probably needed to get it open. (but you wont like the results)

FIRST call the manufacturer if you can. Their support can probably help you work through any gotchas like "did you transport it other than upright? You had it on its left side? You arent supposed to transport them except upright, so the whatchamadoozits probably shifted. try this to dislodge it...."

Support may be able to get you fixed without a locksmith. Unfortunately every story of "I had to call a locksmith" for anything but an antique safe resulted in "Good news, I got in to get my guns. Bad news the 'smith had to drill a hole, ruining the safe.".

Definitely call support first because they can tell you whether calling a 'smith on an empty safe is actually worth picking up the phone. (I'd be surprised if it is.)

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any weapons in the safe but I would like to use it. I planned on contacting Sentry in the morning as well.

Unfortunately, it was transported on its back but it had been transported like this originally too. As for being level, it wasn't when we first tried it but I have since leveled it and got the same results.

We will see what Sentry has to say.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    My uncle bought a Liberty safe and had the same thing when he got it home. They had to drill out the lock and put in a new one.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't have any weapons in the safe but I would like to use it. I planned on contacting Sentry in the morning as well.

Unfortunately, it was transported on its back but it had been transported like this originally too. As for being level, it wasn't when we first tried it but I have since leveled it and got the same results.

We will see what Sentry has to say.

Dont forget to try the vending machine trick... grab it by the top and rock it back and forth slamming it a few times against the wall to see if anything shakes loose. :): (not sure if purple)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just take the door off and bring it to the locksmith. It would be a lot cheaper to do this than his expensive service call to come out......

Um........Wait...

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I gather from you using the word "code" that it is an electronic lock. What do you hear when you type in the code? Can you hear the motor trying to drive the worm gear and retract the lock bolt? Do you hear a "clicking" sound?

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    I work at a safe and lock company. I would suggest:

-make sure handle is completely in the closed position prior to entering code, my AMSEC Safe will not open if it is not.
    -make sure batteries are good, replace if not sure.
    -like said above, give it a little shake back and forth.
    -call Sentry CS.
    -the is a you tube video about resetting combo code, looks pretty easy.

if you have to call a locksmith, keep in mind it won't be cheap.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    To reset the code on mine you have to punch in six zero's then wait five seconds, punch in the existing combination then wait five seconds. Finally punch in the new combination of your choice.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    Dont forget to try the vending machine trick... grab it by the top and rock it back and forth slamming it a few times against the wall to see if anything shakes loose. :): (not sure if purple)

Can I hold you accountable for the results of following your advice? Because....... I may or MAY NOT have done this prior to reading your comment..... :D

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I work at a safe and lock company. I would suggest:

-make sure handle is completely in the closed position prior to entering code, my AMSEC Safe will not open if it is not.
    -make sure batteries are good, replace if not sure.
    -like said above, give it a little shake back and forth.
    -call Sentry CS.
    -the is a you tube video about resetting combo code, looks pretty easy.

if you have to call a locksmith, keep in mind it won't be cheap.

It is a combination lock, not electronic. Do you have any other advice? Would it be cheaper to get worked on and possibly have the combination lock replaced if I were to take it to a locksmith instead of having them come to me? Is there an INGO discount if I have you out to do a little shooting and replace my lock? :))

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    OK, what make is it? S&G? LaGard? Other?

Make sure you are dialing the sequence correctly. You need to make sure the dial is cleared by rotating at LEAST 4 complete turns before stopping at the first number; then depending on who the maker is you will need to pass the next number twice before stopping on it, and then pass the next number once before stopping on it.

Also, the less expensive dial combinations can lose their index by a number or two. Try a combination that is off the "correct" combination by 1 digit each way, each number. That works a surprising amount of the time.

It is possible that the relocker has been engaged, at which point you'll need to have it drilled.

Last edited:

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    It is a Sentry 14 gun safe with a combination lock.

I have cleared it by starting at 0 and then turning it left, passing the 0 at least 3 times (sometimes 4) before stopping on the first number.
    Then I turn it right, stopping on the second number after passing it once (I've also tried passing the second number twice before stopping on it)
    I then rotate the dial to the left, stopping on the final number. I haven't (yet) tried to pass the final number before stopping on it.

I have thought about the possibility of the combo being off by a number or two but I don't really know how to go about attacking that one. There are so many possible combinations when you throw in the possibility of 3 numbers being off by a digit or two.

It seems as though I'm to the point of having it drilled. Sad puppy face.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Can I hold you accountable for the results of following your advice? Because....... I may or MAY NOT have done this prior to reading your comment..... :D

I have an an unconditional money back guarantee. I'll refund 110% of what you paid for my advice. :):

Top Bottom