• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    IMO they are total crap. I bought one, and the trigger was every bit as bad as others on this thread have said. The one I had simply would not feed hollowpoints- it didn't matter what brand (I tried about half a dozen brands). I sent it back to S&W. They checked it out, dremeled the feed ramp, and sent it back with a note that they had performed some work on it, and that it now "operated within acceptable parameters." I still wouldn't feed hollowpoints, so I sent it back to them again. This time, they sent it straight back with a note claiming that their experts had tested it with ball ammo, and that it "operated within acceptable parameters." When I called to complain that it still wouldn't feed hollowpoint ammunition, I was told to use ball ammo instead. The S&W "expert" who tested my Sigma maintained that their firearm's inability to feed hollowpoints was completely acceptable.

I, on the other hand, did not find this acceptable. I sold that lemon and put the proceeds towards a Glock. I've never regretted it for a second.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Are these crap?

If they are 1st generation, yes. I went through three before finally getting a real handgun. Malfunctions galore. I am not sure about 2nd generation and others, I have actually heard they are OK.

I decided to post the problems I had:
    #1: During qualifications, I was cleaning the gun as you would normally do. This means field strip and clean as a Glock...nothing major. Well, eventually the gun got so dirty, that the gunk in the gun actually caused the slide release part to be forced down. I could tell that something was wrong when the slide was not seated properly. This was at the end of the day and only after two boxes of ammo that day. It likely had about eight boxes of 50 through it by that time, but cleaned every night (this was over a four day period). Well, as we were leaving, I showed the gun to our instructor. A co-worker grabbed it, made sure it was clear, and dry fired it at the ground. THE ENTIRE SLIDE FELL OFF!!!!! Yes, the slide release piece had been shoved down by so much gunk, that it was forced to the down position, thus allowed the slide to fall off. Thankfully we were able to break it down further and we really cleaned it out. It shot OK, was accurate enough for me to qualify, and went bang everytime I pulled the trigger.

#2: This problem eventually occurred with the above gun. This problem happened to two other co-workers. The striker pin is similar to a Glock. It is somewhat L shapped and the small piece hangs down from the slide and is pushed back and released so the striker moves forward and strikes the bullet. Well, that piece that hangs down broke. The scary thing is that you might have no idea this has happened. One co-worker of mine let a friend dry fire the gun, when nothing happened, he discovered the problem. There is no way to know how long he was carrying that gun around in that condition. If you dry fire the gun, or shoot it for the last time, you have no way of knowing if this piece breaks, making the gun totally worthless. When this happened to my gun, I was lucky. I was working in dispatch and was dry firing for practice. The piece fell out the mag well and I saw it and picked it up off the floor.

#3: I was then issued another Sigma after #2 happened. For some reason, I couldn't hit my target for anything. I was unable to qualify. The range instructor and I were up at the target, him asking what my issue was, as I never had a problem in the past. I look down at my front sight and it was badly cocked at an angle. The range instructor tried to turn it and it broke right off. He couldn't believe it was that weak. I have done the same thing with a Glock front sight and it never broke from the pegs that go into the hole.

That was it for me. Shortly after this, I got a real gun, an HK USP Compact. Never had a problem with that gun that I can recally.

Last edited:

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Wolf has a spring that solves quite a bit of the trigger problem. There are a few other quick fixes and some wear in and they aren't bad at all. The triggers still not as good as their revolvers but there aren't many that are...

dkc485

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Greenwood
    funny, i was just at a range yesterday with a work buddy who bought one. other than it coming with the sights off (shot to the right) and that MILE long trigger, i kinda liked it. hell and the paper work said it was made last month. not bad all in all

theslacker29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Pierceton
    i bought a SW40ve the other weekend with 2-14rd mags.. never had a problem with firing it with a JHP, or FMJ... my trigger didn't seem to bad, a bit long though... nothing like my old springfield XD .357 sig...

bRAD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Pros: good price point,reliable, lifetime warranty.
    Cons: trigger sucks, not many upgrades or accessories available.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    there are tons of other threads and i am lucky (or unlucky in some eyes) to own a sigma and a glock. I like the sigma better, i got a custom holster from the 1500 (raven) and love it. If you want to try before you buy let me (or im sure others) know and we would be glad to help you out. EVERYONE is different...and look at the other threads very helpful

m4_dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Central IN
    My friend bought the 40 cal sigma.It's a piece of crap.Trigger pull is so hard by the time you get the trigger pulled to fire it you can't keep it aimed and it jams all the time about every 3rd or 4th round.I would never buy one.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have a sigma 9mm. yet to have one jam in over 1000 rounds. i like the grip much better than the glock, but the trigger isnt great. put a glock trigger on it and you'll be set.

dcary7

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    East Coast
    I had a S&W Sigma .40 VE which i recently just sold to an INGO member. It was my first handgun as well. Its pretty well the same response from everyone. Mine never failed to fire or eject a single time. Was a great shooting gun and accurate (once I got used to the heavy trigger pull) I tended to pull a little bit especially with my off-hand. It was a great first gun. I did have the front site fly off, but S&W fixed that at no charge to me. It's not a bad gun, but I sold mine for a CC gun. Going with the G27.

Not bad, but not my first choice looking back on it. If you decide you don't like it and wanna sell/trade it to get a new gun... you rarely if ever get out of a new gun what you put into it. So I lost out quite a bit truthfully. Now I won't buy a gun I don't plan to keep for the long haul.

Good Luck

justwondeing01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    My first handgun was a SW9VE. I got it to shoot IDPA and it worked very well for me. I had no FTF or FTE and I didn't even notice the trigger pull when all the adrenelin (sp?) was going. I ended up getting a Glock 17 in a trade and shot it a little better due to the longer barrel so I traded my Sigma for an AK. I haven't shot it yet but the trigger is supposed to be sweet. :D

offroadking208

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    i have an SW40VE and have had no problems with it. it's my CCW, so i wouldnt trust my life with it if i didnt think it was a good firearm. no jamming, no feed issues, and while the trigger is heavy, you get used to it after awhile. I have a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on it with a rail adaptor and i have had no problems. I would recommend it to anyone :)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    My first handgun was a SW9VE. I got it to shoot IDPA and it worked very well for me. I had no FTF or FTE and I didn't even notice the trigger pull when all the adrenelin (sp?) was going. I ended up getting a Glock 17 in a trade and shot it a little better due to the longer barrel so I traded my Sigma for an AK. I haven't shot it yet but the trigger is supposed to be sweet. :D

:eek::eek::eek::scratch:

Man you did good ! :thumbsup:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    i have an SW40VE and have had no problems with it. it's my CCW, so i wouldnt trust my life with it if i didnt think it was a good firearm. no jamming, no feed issues, and while the trigger is heavy, you get used to it after awhile. I have a Streamlight TLR-1 mounted on it with a rail adaptor and i have had no problems. I would recommend it to anyone :)

When you CC, what type of ammo do you use?

Looking for some good HPs for mine.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    the more I think about it, I think the Sigma would be a good, inexpensive piece to keep in the Get Home bag.

S&W also has a $50 rebate or two mags offer going on these.

Top Bottom