• ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    The Sigmas are on sale for $329.00

The P95 discount for a site supporter is $301.86 for the Blued version and Stainless version is $325.35.

Hope that helps with your decision, but maybe it makes it a bit more complicated. :)

You're the devil! :evilangel:

Looks like your getting my $ one way or another. Maybe on that smaller cc gun I spoke with you about if nothing else......

MillerIU

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Wabash
    I have the sigma 9 and it does have a lot of trigger travel. I have never had a problem with the gun and once I got use to the trigger pull it shot well. But I am going to get a spring kit to try to clean up the trigger pull and lighten it some. With that aside, the gun is fine for the money.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have had a Sigma before. The trigger in it's normal form is meh, but livable. Folks are babied on other guns, they automatically hate the Sigma trigger. When smoothed, its not bad, borderlining darn good. The accuracy is there, very good, just hindered by folks not used to the trigger. As for it as a carry gun, good choice. Yeah, there are better choices, but for a lot more money. For the value, they are great guns. Mine fed everything, recoiled fairly well (.40). Eric Rader (epsylum, RIP) absolutely hated them but after shooting mine, he changed his mind (actually liked the handling and ergonomics of the gun, but the trigger needed some work). I ended up selling. It was a great first gun, but as a second, I may get one just for fun.

Ruger P series is okay. But, they are bulky and heavy. Everyone that I have seen get one for "carry" ends up trying to sell it on a forum or FTF because of the weight. They are reliable and accurate, but not my idea of a carry gun (though a darn good bedside table gun). Just my two cents as a owner of both.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Only experience I had with a sigma is through a buddy. He bought one trying to save money and get the same thing as a glock. Well it had feed problems. After changing springs and getting the feed ramp polished and other gunsmith labor he was about $50 above the cost of a Glock.

So, if you can I guess get a Glock or take Britton up on that XD offer. But of the two, I would simply say Not the sigma. but again, not personal experience so take it for what its worth, :twocents:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I never had any feed problems with mine, either. I shot around 700 rounds through it and never had a burp with a wide variety of ammo. I ended up getting rid of it because of the trigger. Got an M&P and absolutely love it!

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just wait until the sights literally fall of your Sigma, since they're just glued on. If you're not willing to spring for a nicer gun, get a P95. Really though, spend the extra money and get an M&P or a Glock.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I owned a sigma 9 and ended up giving it to my brother. He is new to guns and I think that gun is a good one for beginners; inexpensive, simple to operate, just the right size. In the time I had it I put about 200 rounds through it, only one stovepipe from my fiance limp wristing. I honestly loved the crap outta that gun. Grip angle/size was PERFECT for me. It did have an incredibly heavy trigger that loosened up pretty good after a couple hundred rounds. This gun spent a lot of time in my nightstand. All in all I really liked that gun and would like to eventually get another. If you are planning on carrying I dont know of a whole lot of options for it. It doesn't seem to have near as many accessories/holsters as a glock (of course) xd, or even its cousin the smith m&p series. BTW, if a glock 17 interests you, pm me.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Pass on the Sigma. Save your money and get something that has a better reputation. When S&W first came out with the Sigma, they were really awful. The first generation Sigmas were the worst pistol one could have. Constant breaking of parts, jams, etc.. I had two before I finally told my employer to keep their junk and purchased my own weapon: An HK USP Compact. The two Sigmas I have had the following happen:

#1: After a week of _light_ shooting at the range, I noticed my slide wasn't setting properly after the slide would go forward after being forced back by the shot. I handed it to a co-worker who pointed it to the ground, dry fired the weapon, and the slide FELL OFF!! The problem: The piece which holds the slide from going forward and off the gun, after firing, is similar to a Glock. This piece is pushed upwards by a spring. Well, the Sigma's design is such that a lot of the residue from shooting was being "trapped" (for lack of a better word) inside the frame of the gun. That spot had so much residue in it, it forced the spring down, which pulled down that small plastic piece. As such, there was no "slide block" when the slide moved forward. There is no way that the gun should have been that dirty to require a full break down cleaning. A Glock would have never done this, it would have just blown up....just kidding!

#2: This was still the same pistol from above. I was drying firing the gun, which we were told (from a boss) was OK. I honestly don't know what S&W's manual said about that for the 1st Gens. Anyways, I rack the slide to dry fire again. I pull the trigger and _nothing_. I immediately knew something was wrong. I focused down on the floor and saw a metal piece which I recognized instantly. It is the rear part of the striker that extends down from the bottom of the slide. It is the piece that is pushed rearwards and then let go so the striker moves forward (due to spring action) and strikes the bullet. If this piece breaks, the gun is worthless. There is no fix for this, you _must_ leave a gun fight if you are in one and this happens. This happened to at least two other people that I worked with. I believe it may have happened to others as well, but I can't say for sure. This striker appeared to resemble that of compressed aluminum, so maybe that was an issue.

#3: After #2 happened, I was given a replacement. At the range qualification, I couldn't hit anything. I finally noticed that my front sight was cocked at a significant angle. The range master touched it to try and turn it, it fell right off.

#4: I do know that I had stovepipes, light strikes, and other jams with the Sigma.

Shortly after this, I finally got my HK UPS Compact. I can't recall one malfunction from this gun. I wish I would have never sold it and replaced it with a Glock. The Glock is 99%+, but it is in no way 100%, as I have had too many jams for me rate the Glock as excellent. Yes, it is likely my "limp wrist" shooting, but to me, a gun shouldn't have to fully cycle based upon muscle strength of the shooter. One should be able to shoot a gun with just their thumb and trigger finger and a quality weapon should fire and cycle fully. Even with this, a Glock is still 10,000x better than first generation Sigmas. Another co-worker just started carrying a 1st gen and had to go through two or three before he finally got one that worked...and he still doesn't trust it that much.

Just so you know, over the years, I have read numerous gun forums. As S&W changed the Sigma, the comments got _much_ better. Most folks don't know there were different generations, and it was the 1st, and maybe 2nd, Generations that had issues. I think if you are really tapped for money, a brand new Sigma would likely not be a bad deal.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My wife purchased a Sigma in 40, there will not be a second one. Long crappy trigger pull, "snappy" recoil, just a lack of comfort with it. This was not what I expected from a S & W. Between the two of us we have put a total of 20 rounds down the pipe. Tossed it back in the case and spent the rest of the day shooting the Taurus 24/7.
    With that being said, I would suggest that you give Taurus a look. They have good quality and at a good price.:twocents:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I loved my Sigma. However events transpired, I saw the light and was saved from the evil world of automatics. I am now a converted revolver nut case and only keep a S&W M&P because I really love the 9mm cartridge. The M&P is a lot better but I would recommend a Sigma to anyone looking for a middle end 9mm.

As for reliability, mine would not eat the cheapo silverbear stuff, but ate everything else just fine. It was very accurate (anything under 25yards was toast), and I loved the ergonomics. To each his own I guess.

teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    A buddy of mine has been carrying a Sigma 9mm for quite some time in small-of-back.
    I thought about getting one when they were onsale last October for $289 at Midwest.
    (now I think they are $300 onsale).

That same buddy hooked me up with a P95DC with 2 mags and case for $150.
    Awesome deal. I love that gun.
    The Ruger P95 is a tank (big and durable).
    I would trust mine over any glock.
    Takes a matter of seconds to field strip for cleaning (without any tools at all).
    I CC my wheelgun, but I usually OC my Ruger (cannot always pull a shirt over that big gun).
    Of course, it is heavier (especially with a full mag).
    Some people say this gun or that gun doesn't feel right (grip, trigger, etc).
    What might be true for them, won't be true for you.
    My friends don't like my P95dc, but my hands are a little larger and it fits perfect.

Another cool thing about that Ruger is that I found 35 round mags for it at Cheaper-than-Dirt. Now THAT's alot of shooting.

GoBoilers!

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    Tough choice...

I was looking for a low cost 9mm recently also, and I had it narrowed down to the very same two as you. I looked around, and you can't beat the deal at the the Bluffton store on the S&W. I opted for the S&W for two reasons: Fit/comfort and size for concealed carry.

I loved the Ruger P95 too, and I'll own one some day, but the grip felt a bit wider and it's heavier too, so I went with the Sigma. To be honest, the trigger on the Sima does not bother me a bit. I don't compete at targets, so the long and stiffer trigger pull is not a problem, and I acually like it for carry as it adds an extra measure of safety.

But it comes down to personal preference. The new generation of Sigma's have a pretty good rep. The Rugers are workhorses. You should be happy with either (or both...)

Bill- GoBoilers!

Raye7r

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Parke County
    Love my new 9 mm Sigma. No problems yet. Kinda like the heavy trigger, it's not going off till I want it to! Extra mags are too expensive is only complaint.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom