• Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I'm talking a brand new one.

Do they mak e a decent carry peice?

Will they conceal better than a Ruger P95?

Kinda tron between the 2 with Britton's sale and all.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Thanks for the replies Anyone think I'm better off with a used p95?

Is the Sigma considerably smaller than the Ruger?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Between the two, I'd go with the Ruger. It's got an unblemished reputation for reliability and ruggedness. The same cannot be said of the Sigma, though many of it's owners like the gun.

If the P95 is bigger, it's not THAT much bigger.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK. I have shot and like the P95's very much.

Now what about price? They are likely within $30-40 of each other. The P95 is used.

Yes, I know you can't put a price on self-defense but both are solid companies.
    Also if the Sigma isnlt that much smaller I may b leaning Ruger.

Thankls for all the replies.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had a Sigma .40 awhile back. It was true about it being a "Glock knockoff". That said, it was also about half the price. It was a decent gun with a crummy trigger. I wouldn't buy another one. I'd rather save my money and get a Glock, M&P or a Sig (or the XD I ended up buying to replace it).

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Between the two, I'd go with the Ruger. It's got an unblemished reputation for reliability and ruggedness. The same cannot be said of the Sigma, though many of it's owners like the gun.

If the P95 is bigger, it's not THAT much bigger.

Joe I've heard that Ruger, particularly the P95 is as relaible the the expensive guns like Sig, Glock, XD just not as nice looking. WHat's your take on that? And for that matter the S&W M&P that Fintlock suggested?

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I've heard the trigger really sucks from a co-worker. How about a sig 2022? I just bought one after shooting a friends? The trigger is excellent, it is SA or DA.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Joe I've heard that Ruger, particularly the P95 is as relaible the the expensive guns like Sig, Glock, XD just not as nice looking. WHat's your take on that? And for that matter the S&W M&P that Fintlock suggested?

I've owned a P85, P89, 9mm P94. None of them ever jammed, with several thousand rounds through each of them. Good guns. I've not owned a P95, but from it's rep I'd expect nothing less. They aren't as pretty or refined as more expensive guns, not necessarily as smooth operating, but functionally every bit as good as the more expensive brands. I've never had a second thought about trusting a Ruger.

Cathy's M&P 9c was a good gun. It felt good, was reliable and accurate, as shown in the pic below. But it didn't feel right to either of us when we were shooting it. Felt like a greased pig trying to get out of our hands. A purely subjective thing.

If you are going to go to the price range of the M&P, don't forget the XDs and Glocks, either. Cathy's XD9 Tactical went through several thousand rounds without a malfunction, and felt right in both our hands. I'm really fond of my new XD9sc, and given how easily it carries, how well it shoots, and how good it feels I'm very impressed. I've only had it for a couple days and only put 150 rounds through it, though, so you'll have to talk to folks who've owned them longer for a long term eval on toughness.

All that said, if you've got a bead on a P95 at a good price, I wouldn't necessarily buy one of the others in preference to it. Make sure it fits you, and the P95 will provide you a gun every bit as good as the M&P, XD, or Glock. I would ask around amongst those who have owned them, though, about the grip. It always felt to me like they would be kind of slick if they got wet, cold, or with sweaty hands.

And for the record, I think the Ruger semi-autos are very attractive guns, in their own right.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i carry my sigma 9ve a decent amount. i dont think the trigger is that bad. mine eats everything and has never given me a single problem. accuracy is more than adequate for self-defense. i would trust my life to this weapon.

if you get a good deal, its worth it. but for $400, i would save a bit more and get a glock 17/19.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    i carry my sigma 9ve a decent amount. i dont think the trigger is that bad. mine eats everything and has never given me a single problem. accuracy is more than adequate for self-defense. i would trust my life to this weapon.

if you get a good deal, its worth it. but for $400, i would save a bit more and get a glock 17/19.

Both guns I'm looking at are sub$330

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Now what about price? They are likely within $30-40 of each other. The P95 is used.
    The Sigmas are on sale for $329.00

The P95 discount for a site supporter is $301.86 for the Blued version and Stainless version is $325.35.

Hope that helps with your decision, but maybe it makes it a bit more complicated. :)

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My own experience is with the Sigma .40 but it translates to the 9 as well. I had some FTF , and stovepipes with mine not to mention the trigger caused me some considerable problems. The long crunchy trigger pull was difficult to adjust to after shooting Glock or XD. Long story short my Sigma is gone and has been replaced with an XD 45 compact and a G 19. Wouldn't consider going back.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Go with the M&P instead. You won't regret it.

I second that without a doubt,

I would have to have and handle a sigma with a spring kit in it but the one I have I hated, I had a ruger p85 and it was a work horse but not very ergonomic, the m&p is definitely the top of the heap on the pistol market right now for a combat pistol

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm voting P95. I've shot a handful of the P-series, and they are exceptional. Besides, saving a couple bucks may make you feel better now, but you have to live with this decision. Ruger all the way.

neil221211

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Anderson
    I used to have a S&W Sigma in 9mm. Worst pistol ever owned. Bought a Glock and never looked back. :rockwoot:. First few times shooting the Sigma constant jam and ftf.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom