• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Anyone ID this S&W revolver (circa 1955)? It was turned in at a local (Michigan City) police gun buyback along with the original box and some paperwork ... in exchange for a $50 gift certificate.

52b4fc4a8daed.preview-620.jpg

Assuming it was in excellent condition, what would be the value?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Looks like a model 10. Swing open the cylinder and have a look.

View attachment 24295

If it is say a 10-5 the value may be in the $300 to $500 range. There are a lot of model 10's out there.

Thanks. I don't own it. It was in the newspaper as an example of another gun "taken off the street." I was just wondering how badly the owner was taken by the police buy-back program. The gun looks to be in excellent shape plus it had the original stuff. Now it will end up scrapped or put on display to "educate people about the dangers officers face daily."

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It is a model 10 and it is undoubtedly serviceable.

The big question is why it is on the market? It should be on the way to getting destroyed after the "buyback"...

It is worth far more than 50 bucks.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I keep saying it over and over again, educate your loved ones about your firearms and related gear. Even if they don't "love" shooting or firearms, they should be educated as to their value. They should also be educated about the fraud of "buy-back" programs or any other benevolent government program.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Could this be an early 64? The color and lighting are a bit tricky , to me it looks like it could be stainless.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    This makes me truly want to cry. Not only is a beautiful gun being destroyed or stolen but someone who didn't know any better has been ROYALLY SCREWED by someone they trusted and believed.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wait a second while I put my flame suit on, ok.... To me it looks like a stainless frame and cylinder. The trigger and hammer are hard chromed and they didn't do that until later S&W guns. Oh, I guess the whole thing could be hard chromed. I can't really see it very well on this computer. If the ser# dates it to the 50s my guess would be it has been plated by the owner.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Wait a second while I put my flame suit on, ok.... To me it looks like a stainless frame and cylinder. The trigger and hammer are hard chromed and they didn't do that until later S&W guns. Oh, I guess the whole thing could be hard chromed. I can't really see it very well on this computer. If the ser# dates it to the 50s my guess would be it has been plated by the owner.
    Take off the flame suit......
    It's a Model 64 with the standard 4" Bbl.
    The 33rd edition of Gun Traders Guide has a pic of one on page 162.
    I handled one in the mid 70's as well as the Heavy Barrel version.
    I bought the Heavy Barrel model because it balanced better in my hand.

Top Bottom