• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Which is the better gun for the money and the long haul? Wear and tear? Maintains its value? Thank you.

S&W, hands down. Go ask any gun dealer that sells both, and ask which one is in for repairs the most.

Plus, S&W customer service is outstanding, Taurus is extremely slow and unpredictable.

You can't go wrong with a S&W. Just avoid their Sigma series.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Well, there's a few different questions there.

S&W will hold its value more, but a lot of folks won't buy a key-hole S&W, so the long term collectability/price for new purchases is more questionable than older models.

Which will hold up longer? Ruger. Rugers are overbuilt by design. Whatever caliber its chambered for, you can run a bazillion rounds through it and not worry it. Its unlikely you'll ever wear out a S&W or Taurus, either, but a Ruger will outlive you by a good margin.

Best for the money? That's really subjective. Taurus is cheaper up front, and all but their earliest models are "good enough" for about any use. I use one of their .38s as my backup and its a great pistol. Is a S&W better? I didn't shoot the comparable S&W any better, and certainly not $150 better. The only 5 shot I've ever done better with is a Colt, and I don't like the cylinder release on those, but I'm wondering off topic.

the internal locks can be removed very easily. There is a youtube video showing exactly how, takes about 30 minutes, at most. And even with the lock, I would trust a S&W with my life far more than I would a Taurus.

speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    Thank you everyone for the comments. I'm really leaning towards a S&W revolver and will plan to go that route unless someone can convince me otherwise. The nickel plated caught my eye at first, but I'm convinced that stainless is the way to go.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    S&W or Ruger. like BehindBlueI's noted above rugers where made for people who reload, ya can run 'em hot with no problems, i love my .357 , not sure how they compare with S&W on keeping thier value.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you everyone for the comments. I'm really leaning towards a S&W revolver and will plan to go that route unless someone can convince me otherwise. The nickel plated caught my eye at first, but I'm convinced that stainless is the way to go.

If you are ok with a .38 keep an eye out online for a S&W 64. It's a stainless .38 and they show up a lot as police or security trade ins for ~$300, usually in fantastic mechanical shape (some minor scratches and wear on the outside is pretty common though). They often seem to be the more desirable pre lock versions as well.

LD36

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    Taurus resale isnt good. I have had several Taurus revolvers and have only has one issue with a 22 caliber (cylinder timing was off but quickly fixed). I regretfully sold my Public Defender Judge (probably the most fun i have ever had shooting a revolver) but still currently have a 454 Raging Bull and love it. No problems and Taurus is definitely cheaper than S&W. Ruger makes a damn good gun for the money too. If resale potential was a concern, I'd go with Ruger personally.

Top Bottom