• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    To answer your three questions directly, and in order, S&W, S&W,and S&W! Seriously though, Taurus has a few decent guns. It depends on what type of gun you're in the market for. A little more info. would help! Revolver or auto? Are you going to shoot it alot, our just something to practice a little, here and there? There are plenty of good makes available that fit all of your criteria. Ruger for instance, makes great revolvers and autos!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    To answer your three questions directly, and in order, S&W, S&W,and S&W! Seriously though, Taurus has a few decent guns. It depends on what type of gun you're in the market for. A little more info. would help! Revolver or auto? Are you going to shoot it alot, our just something to practice a little, here and there? There are plenty of good makes available that fit all of your criteria. Ruger for instance, makes great revolvers and autos!

YOU all, already KNOW what I am going to say, DITTO.... :yesway: :twocents:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What are you asking about? Polymer striker fire or revolver?

Wait.....either way, s&w. /thread

Polymer: smith, springer, ruger, hk, Walther
    Revolver: smith, ruger

speedywillie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Fishers, IN
    Thank you for the comments. I'm leaning towards a revolver and plan to shoot a fair amount at the range and want to have around the house for self defense.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Ruger gp100 is a GREAT revolver. Near bulletproof,and you can shoot 357 mag or 38 special from them. It's a great, versatile, gun. And you'll have it the rest of your life.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'll vote for S&W but will say that if you're on a budget there is nothing wrong with Taurus. I've got a 66 and a 605 that I would trust my life with and that I've shot the heck out of. Plus Taurus CSR is pretty decent and back their guns with a lifetime warranty. Haven't had to use them for my revolvers but I did when I HAD my 24/7.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Well, there's a few different questions there.

S&W will hold its value more, but a lot of folks won't buy a key-hole S&W, so the long term collectability/price for new purchases is more questionable than older models.

Which will hold up longer? Ruger. Rugers are overbuilt by design. Whatever caliber its chambered for, you can run a bazillion rounds through it and not worry it. Its unlikely you'll ever wear out a S&W or Taurus, either, but a Ruger will outlive you by a good margin.

Best for the money? That's really subjective. Taurus is cheaper up front, and all but their earliest models are "good enough" for about any use. I use one of their .38s as my backup and its a great pistol. Is a S&W better? I didn't shoot the comparable S&W any better, and certainly not $150 better. The only 5 shot I've ever done better with is a Colt, and I don't like the cylinder release on those, but I'm wondering off topic.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Only Taurus I've liked (owned four, now none) is the 92 series. Probably because they didn't design that gun. I've seen the internals of Taurus vs Smith, and there is no comparison. I've had the transfer bar break on a Taurus, not much you can do when that happens.

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I cannot recommend a Taurus in almost any circumstance...especially for EDC. They do have lifetime warranty, but 2 major breaks under mild conditions made me a Glock convert. S&W and Ruger both make fine revolvers...Smiths generally have better triggers and Rugers are built like tanks.

theboilermaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    F.W.
    First Taurus I had went back to the shop to be repaired. Customer service was good, and the repair was prompt. That being said, I will no longer even look at buying one. One failure is one failure too many on a gun you trust your life too. On the other hand, if it is just a range gun I would not hesitate to throw one into the mix just for price comparison. Just know if you a person that has to have the best Taurus is not it. Resale is also not good on Taurus. If you don't sell them and just like to shoot now and then at the range it is a great option.

Love my rugers and Smiths :)

Top Bottom