• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shawno31b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I am trying to decide between the dark earth S&W .45 compact and the dark earth FN FNP .45. I know color doesn't matter but I have three smith and wesson hand guns already and love them. My buddy is trying to talk me into buying the FNP now and I am considering one. Just looking for what all of you have to say.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt the FNP have some issues? Those issues were corrected which led to the FNX models.

If I were you, I'd play it safe and look in to the FNX or FNS line (if I were to go FN). That's what I did.

P.S. Maybe it was just the FNP .45 Tactical

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    How well versed are you in the double/single action transition? The FNP/FNX series are hammer fired. The M&P is striker fired, with the same trigger pull every time. Granted, the FN can be carried cocked and locked so you could have the same pull every time, I suppose.

And do you want a gun with a safety (or is the M&P you're considering a safety equipped model?)?

Shawno31b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I have both double and single action weapons, I am not too worried about having a safety on the gun. I guess I was wondering which one shot better, and if the FN's are having any problems. And personal opinions on which ones they like.

LostLake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    West Side
    I have both double and single action weapons, I am not too worried about having a safety on the gun. I guess I was wondering which one shot better, and if the FN's are having any problems. And personal opinions on which ones they like.

Do yourself a favor and google "FNP problems"

Again, these issues were corrected with the FNX line if you decide to go DA/SA. I'd lean on the safe side and steer clear of the FNP .45. I've heard about feed issues, etc.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Very different animals, is kind of hard to compare since one is a compact vs a full size. Other than personal preference the deciding factor would be aftermarket parts are more plentiful for the M&P than for the FN, both quality guns but it boils down what feels better in your hand.

Last edited:

Shawno31b

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    I have a full size Kimbers, Glocks, and S&W .38 revolver and .380 bodyguard…. I like the compact, just have not shot it yet… Only reason I bring up the FN is because a buddy of mine bought one and swears by it…. But he is the only one I know who has one..

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    I have four FNX 45's and can tell you they seem industructable at this point. I have one I'm deliberately trying to kill, current rd count 12,250, and no signs of wear or slowing down. But they are bricks. heavy and big.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I love my FNP Tactical. It has been flawless thus far. Boring reliability and great accuracy.

You really are talking apples and oranges with these two choices though.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    I understand the FNP 45 and FNX 45 both standard and tactical to be identical looking , unlike the FNP 9 and FNX 9 - which are noticeably different guns.
    the FNP 45 even with its identical outside appearance is different on the inside compared to the FNX 45 ( FNP 45 and FNX 45 mags are not interchangeable)
    the current version of the 45 is an FNX, FNS (striker) in 9 and 40 , or FNX (hammer) 9 , 40 (same exterior dimension) , 45 (larger frame). My neighbor has the FNX 45
    and it's been flawless , I have the FNX 9mm also flawless. oh and the 45 holds 15 +1 rounds :)

Top Bottom