• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B4Dark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    S & W MP Series Pistols-Manual Safety Upgrade

Can my new MP9 be upgraded with an external lever and internal lock like the MP45?

Last edited:

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    You mean the manual safety? If so, the answer is no from what I have heard from the guys on MP-Pistol. I'm not sure if the internal lock mechanism can be added or not.

S&W is going to start making the whole M&P line available with the external safety sometime later this year I think.

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Can my new MP9 be upgraded with an external lever and internal lock like the MP45?

Interesting... I, and most shootersI know, do not want those features. In fact, I will never buy a firearm with an internal lock and on "external lever" safties on striker fired pistols (Glock or M&P for example) are not needed.

Why would you want these feature?

B4Dark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    I've never owned a semi-auto and feel uncomfortable pulling it out fast from the holster knowing it is armed without any trigger safety. I am a rooky I guess............

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I've never owned a semi-auto and feel uncomfortable pulling it out fast from the holster knowing it is armed without any trigger safety. I am a rooky I guess............

Take some good training... learn how to handle your firearm safely, work on your drawstroke. It'll all come to you. Just take it slow and be safe! :thumbsup:

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Please do practice your gun handling skills, including drawing from the holster and take a class or two so that you learn to do these things correctly. Most importantly, when you practice drawing and other manipulations, practice with an unloaded weapon.

Remember that if you follow the four rules, especially the one about keeping your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target, you cannot have a negligent discharge. Guns don't spontaneously fire by themselves.

Mini-14

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    New Palestine,In
    Please do practice your gun handling skills, including drawing from the holster and take a class or two so that you learn to do these things correctly. Most importantly, when you practice drawing and other manipulations, practice with an unloaded weapon.

Remember that if you follow the four rules, especially the one about keeping your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target, you cannot have a negligent discharge. Guns don't spontaneously fire by themselves.

Then how do they go on a rampage and kill people? :dunno:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This was a big portion of Matt Pierce's PD Training Basic Pistol & Marksmanship course.

Prior to that day I hadn't really drawn from my holster. I'd watched a lot of videos online of people from Gunsite, thunder ranch, and the Sig Academy. But doing it in person, with instructors there makes a world of difference.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...er_basic_class_in_new_castle_on_may_10th.html

I'm sure there will be more of these if you want to take a class and get training. Pami and I have decided as a rule we must have at least an equal number of classes under our belt as we have pistols. Having the tools is good, knowing how to use them is better.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    Big +1000 on training! Even if you think you're good at shooting and drawing and all that stuff, there's always something you can learn. Take training.. then take more.

B4Dark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    I have been told that some carry the semiauto without a cartridge in the chamber. They draw, then cock with slide and shoot. Is this a good idea?

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I'm pretty sure that you can retrofit your MP9 to have the internal lock, but you might be the first person to actually do it. If you go to the mp-pistol forum, there is a post that shows you how. I think you have to order $9 in parts. You cannot add the external safety from what I have heard.

Take everyone's advice on the training and in the meantime if you are carrying, then just don't have one chambered for safety.

The internal lock mechanism is not a good choice and most MPs don't have them or the mag safety.

That's a great starter semi-auto pistol. I love mine.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have been told that some carry the semiauto without a cartridge in the chamber. They draw, then cock with slide and shoot. Is this a good idea?

This is, if I remember correctly, called Israeli Carry. It's acceptable, videos I've seen show it being a fast enough draw, however the people who do this practice a LOT. They also have gone through pretty serious training.

(notice a trend here yet?)

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I woudn't recommend it. If you have a good holster, it's always better to carry with a round chambered IMO. Over on the MP-Pistol forums we had a HUGE debate over this.

B4Dark

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Thanks everyone. For now I am going to carry loaded but not chambered. That way I will still have all five toes on my right foot 'til I get my confidence up with this gun.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here is a something that I've heard others suggest for those who are squimish about a loaded chamber:

With the magazine out and the gun unloaded, rack the slide and let the trigger get in a "firing position".
    Insert magazine.
    Put the gun in your holster of choice.

Carry it in that condition as you normally would. At the end of a week, take a look at the trigger and see if it has been accidentally "fired". Chances are it will still be in the exact same postion. This should get your confidence up.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Here is a something that I've heard others suggest for those who are squimish about a loaded chamber:

With the magazine out and the gun unloaded, rack the slide and let the trigger get in a "firing position".
    Insert magazine.
    Put the gun in your holster of choice.

Carry it in that condition as you normally would. At the end of a week, take a look at the trigger and see if it has been accidentally "fired". Chances are it will still be in the exact same postion. This should get your confidence up.

Yup. I was concearned about carrying a Glock with one in the chamber at first, but the more experience I had with it, the more comfortable I got. Now I carry a 1911 cocked and locked and think carrying a 1911 any other way is silly.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I must admit that carrying with a round in the chamber makes me nervous, but I do it and make sure to be especially attentive.

Top Bottom