S&W M&P9mm Compact (CC/Magazine/External Safety questions)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I plan to purchase a S&W M&P 9mm Compact within the next month or two because it is the handgun i feel most comfortable with holding/shooting and plan to carry once my LTCH arrives.

With that said, with the "hypothetical 10 round magizine capacity" ban that could be pushed along this week:

Do you suggest i push my purchase sooner and get the handgun this week? It would not be favorable financially, but (it could be done) and do you think i could run into problems if i wait untill LTCH is here?

The second question I have is:

What are the pro's and cons to having an external safety?
    - I don't own any guns without a safety so, to me, even though i have confidence/experience with firearms the thought of an external safety gives me peace of mind (especially when carrying, being new to CC). The way I think of this (correct me if i'm wrong) when i get comfortable carrying and want no safety for quick access if needed, couldn't i simply just holster the weapon with the safety on fire?

Fire away, any help/thoughts are appreciated!:ingo:

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    When I went to buy m&p 9c I initially was going to buy it with the thumb safety as well but after talking to people I decided against it. I was also a little apprehensive about CCing without a mechanical safety but the more I trained and practiced I became comfortable with it. Just make sure you have a good quality holster that covers the trigger completely. I have a crossbreed super tuck and love it. The down side of a thumb safety would be of it accidentally got applied when you were carrying with it off and ergonomics of CCing.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I have the M&P 9c with the safety. I like it and don't see it as an issue at all. If a bunch of old, crusty 1911-heads can remember to bring their thumb down on the safety, I think I can.

As for buying now or later- I doubt anything will become law immediately (famous last words), so I don't think a week will make a difference. USUALLY, even if something were to become law (and an Executive Order is not the same thing as a "law"), there must be a time it is published and an effective date. Of course, there are always exceptions, but I really doubt that anything will take effect this week in the form of a mag ban. I have 2-12 round mags and 2 -17 round mags for mine.

As an aside, here I sit, a person licensed to commit lawyering for the past, almost 15 years, and I've never heard of something being made a crime by Executive Order. Not saying it has never happened, just saying I've not heard of it and I'd be interested to know the history on that.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have a 9c, my primary carry. Mine does not have a safety and I wouldn't want one. I have the two 12 round mags that came with it and am trying to acquire as many 17 rounders as I can.

Khazik

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    IMO you should get it as soon as you comfortably can, as right now there is a run on guns and all things guns. I got the M&P .40c because I didn't like how slim the shield was, I wanted a main carry not a smaller backup carry at the time. Overall happy with my purchase except the frame (NOT the slide) rubs my thumb knuckle every recoil, didn't have the problem with my glock, so right now it's literally a pain to shoot and not sure why (grip? holding wrong? not for me?).

I went without an external safety because when CC'ing, when I draw, I need the only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is my own cognitive action. The last thing I'd want is a need to draw, do so, and cant pull the trigger because the safety is on... It'd do nothing but **** me off and maybe cost my life or another's. You can carry fine with a safety, even condition 1 (round in chamber); due to the trigger design, the firing pin in the slide can only go forward enough to strike the primer if that lil round stainless 'button' in the slide is recessed, and that button isn't recessed unless the trigger is pulled back. Just be proficient, snap in/practice a lot, get comfortable and you'll be fine without an external safety.

Now if other people (cop, family, etc..) coonfinger your weap and dumb enough to not check for themselves if it's loaded or not, thats another story.

As a former active-duty Marine, I abide by the 4 weapon safety rules (and they're pretty good) drilled in my head that I'll remember til the day I die, and I always at every point in time know what condition my weapons are in. I usually remain Cond.1 with my handgun because if I'll want it, I'll need it, and dont care to be like adam savage on mythbusters in their 'Knive v Gun' tests (taking time to draw and rack the slide then aim and fire).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks guys! i will probably end up getting this asap then! So, what do you think about the external safety? is it really much of a hastle other than the slight disadvantage of drawing your weapon? i don't see the big deal?

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I was told earlier this week that all m&p pistols are drilled for an external safety, meaning that if you are unsure, you can buy one with the safety and if you don't like it, you can remove it and use a plug. Personally, I don't have an external safety on mine. The only safety I use is between my ears, except when I'm carrying a 1911, naturally.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Someone talk me into having a safety or talk me out of having one.??

Having carried Revolvers, Beretta's, SIG's 1911 and just about everything else in a 27 year LE career revolvers and S&W M&P's are all I use any more. I have a full size and compact M&P 9mm WITHOUT the thumb safety. I would suggest going without the safety for a couple different reasons.

1st because a DAO/Safe Action or whatever you want to describe it is designed to point and shoot. Thumb safeties are best left tom 1911's Browning Hi Powers and SA only firearms they were designed for. With most DA or DAO fireams there isn't really a need for one unless you personally prefer that extra safety. Remember Revolvers and most traditional DAO auts have no safety of any type at all.

The 2nd reason is a manual thumb safety takes a little bit of training to master and unlike the safeties on 1911 style pistols that on a M&P is not quite as easy to manipulate under stress due to I feel they are small and easily misses under stress when you loose your fine motor skills. (I had a M&P 45 with the safety). As an instructor who's agency uses SIG's there is a little bit of muscle memory involved in learning a decocker as well if you choose a handgun with a thumb safety.

Now my exception to that is if you also use 1911's having the thumb safety on an M&P would make since due to the same maunal of arme aka muscle memory.

JMHO

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I prefer no safety. But i got mine with a thumb safety because it makes my wife more comfortable, and she carries/uses it also. (Can't afford another right now)
    My FS and pro do not have safeties.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I was told earlier this week that all m&p pistols are drilled for an external safety, meaning that if you are unsure, you can buy one with the safety and if you don't like it, you can remove it and use a plug. Personally, I don't have an external safety on mine. The only safety I use is between my ears, except when I'm carrying a 1911, naturally.

Where did you hear this? If that is the case then i will just get the external safety.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The 9c that I traded into a few years ago came with the thumb safety.

I removed it - and didn't plug the holes.

The safety is just a physical block to keep the trigger bar from moving - it's not "integral" to the function of the gun like is the case on some other firearms)

If you buy a non-safety gun, you cannot mount one post-facto. If you buy a safety-equipped gun, you can remove it and reinstall it as you desire.

-J-

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    On the safety issue- to each their own- I have it, but understand why others don't. One issue I want to address- because I have one, is the notion that the safety does not sweep off naturally in the manner of a 1911....I beg to differ. It is well placed and with just a bit of training, sweeping it off with the thumb is as natural as ANY gun out there. In my case, at least, the safety falls under my thumb when the gun is gripped naturally- no hand repositioning. This is UNLIKE the Shield, which in my opinion, has a too-small, difficult to manipulate safety that is best ignored.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I bought all mine from Greg Cote for $24.95.

If this goes through, I may sell my Ruger SR9c (I use it for IDPA) and all of my 17 rounders for it and just get a M&P 9c that I can share my M&P mags with.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm a bit late to the party on the thumb safety discussion, I know. I own 4 M&P autos and 3 have the safety and one does not. What matters is your training. IF you decide to go with a thumb safety on your weapon you MUST practice drawing it and getting the safety off every time. I personally like the thumb safeties and initially started with a 1911 so it wasn't much of an ordeal to switch to the M&P. In the end I am a Glock guy so I have more 'point and shoot' weapons than anything. If you've ever atteneded a pistol match you'll quickly see who does and who does not practice their draws when the thumb safeties come out. All too often a good shot will forget to turn it off and you know they've never practiced drawing their gun from the holster.

Practice is the key! Now just be sure to tell us what you get when you get it and post some pics for good measure!

Top Bottom