• Status
    Not open for further replies.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I'd be interested to know what CO and security guard experience has to do with your take on pistols with manual safeties. Licensed security guard? Wow. That's impressive. In the People's Republic of New York, no less. I'll only mention that I have over 22 years in the criminal justice field, including positions where we actually use firearms, like the US Army (MP), and for the last 13 years, actual law enforcement with a major metro agency. Perhaps I, too, will aspire to be a "licensed security guard" one day....after I retire. :rolleyes: :):

You wanna carry a DA or striker fired pistol with an unnecessary point of failure? Fine. Have at it. Hillary Clinton would be proud. She also loves unnecessary safeties on firearms. (Hmmm...doesn't she have something to do with New York? I think I read that somewhere.) You be safe out there, guarding whatever it is you guard. Have a nice day.

It has been a tradition for many many years that firearms have a manual safety... are you implying that our forefathers got it wrong? dao/striker fired firearms are a recent development and while they are just as safe many prefer to have the presense of mind with a safety. I am in honest disbelief that you are arguing the point that a manual safety is a bad thing, regardless of what type of firearm it was on... i am a glock man and therefore do not have have TRIGGER BLOCK safteys on my carry guns. If glock offerd a factory gun with an easy to manipulate and cosmetically sound saftey, I would own one as my primary carry piece. Not because i dont trust the other three safetys on it, not because i am not well versed in my firearm, but because its ONE MORE safety device, and MY preference.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    It has been a tradition for many many years that firearms have a manual safety... are you implying that our forefathers got it wrong? dao/striker fired firearms are a recent development and while they are just as safe many prefer to have the presense of mind with a safety. I am in honest disbelief that you are arguing the point that a manual safety is a bad thing, regardless of what type of firearm it was on... i am a glock man and therefore do not have have TRIGGER BLOCK safteys on my carry guns. If glock offerd a factory gun with an easy to manipulate and cosmetically sound saftey, I would own one as my primary carry piece. Not because i dont trust the other three safetys on it, not because i am not well versed in my firearm, but because its ONE MORE safety device, and MY preference.

Forefathers have nothing to do with recently developed striker-fired designs, all of which are safe to carry without a manual safety. The internal safeties prevent firing if the trigger is not pulled. No further safety device is necessary. A manual safety IS a bad thing, if you pull your pistol to defend your life and, in that extremely stressful moment, forget to disengage the safety. I've seen this happen in training, and I'd hate to see a fellow officer killed because his pistol has an unnecessary switch or lever to take the place of proper gun handling.

As I said before, if you prefer an unnecessary manual safety....have at it. It's your life. I find it to be an unnecessary complication on modern striker-fired pistols. If you get right down to the heart of the matter, the ONLY thing a manual safety is good for is to prevent negligent discharge because of sloppy or unsafe gun handling. Glocks are the #1 issued pistol to LEOs, the large majority who are NOT what I would call gun enthusaists. And still, NDs are rare...certainly no more than when the majority of LE used DA/SA guns with decockers.

You are amazed that I don't like manual safeties. I am amazed that the simple concept of trigger discipline and safe gun handling is not glaringly obvious as THE only insurance against NDs. Coupled with the widely accepted premise that muscle motor skills are usually compromised during a lethal force encounter, I am genuinely surprised that people advocate for MORE steps being necessary to get a defensive pistol into action.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I've always wanted to meet Jesus.

And so you shall.

466px-Notagain-jeez.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom