• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    A question for S&W M&P owners or anyone. I noticed the safety has been removed from the versions that come equipped with the CT lasergrips. Does this pistol have any form of safety other than not pulling the trigger?

I just realized this upon getting the pistol home and the salesman made no mention of the fact, S&W fails to state this on their website or even in the users manual. This makes me very nervous to carry a pistol with a chambered round that has such a short trigger pull and no safety of any kind. Or is this something I just have to get used to?

I've never owned any gun that didn't have a safety of some sort. Had this been brought to my attention at the GS, I would have opted for the non-laser version and saved myself a couple hundred bucks.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't believe any of the 9c's come with a manual safety. It was my understanding that it was an option on the 45's but I have never seen a 9c with one and was told when I inquired about it that they had never been produced. My 9c has no cutout for a safety while my 45 has one that is filled in.

Best,

Joe

:+1:

I have a .40c and have no problems carrying it without a manual safety. As a previous poster stated, I also used to be concerned about carrying without a manual safety, but over time I've gotten used to it and prefer not having one.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    No safety on my full size M&P 9mm, the first trigger pull is longer then the next, I got used to the no safety I just got a good holster that molds around and blocks the trigger well. Desantis speed scabbard.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I personally would not want a carry gun with a safety on it, It will act no different that a revolver! they don't have safety's if you don't pull the trigger it will not shoot, that is what I am looking for in a carry gun/ combat gun. Remember that action is always faster than reaction anything you can do to cut down on your reaction time is a Win!.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I personally would not want a carry gun with a safety on it, It will act no different that a revolver! they don't have safety's if you don't pull the trigger it will not shoot, that is what I am looking for in a carry gun/ combat gun. Remember that action is always faster than reaction anything you can do to cut down on your reaction time is a Win!.

and at your age that is a big plus!!!!!!!!!:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    No safety on my full size M&P 9mm, the first trigger pull is longer then the next, I got used to the no safety I just got a good holster that molds around and blocks the trigger well. Desantis speed scabbard.

I don't think your first trigger pull is longer then the next is it? They are DAO so they should be the same. And the DAO is your safety.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis

I have a full size M&P 9 and I have NEVER noticed any difference in the trigger pull from the 1st round to the next in over 1500 rounds. Is that even possible?

Sorry to threadjack

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

Though I have my own opinion I understand everyone has their own preferences, the right to carry as they see fit and all that. As such I'm not telling anyone what they should or should not do. However, there are some misconceptions that need cleared up. The revolver argument is always the first one in line when talking about safeties. It just happens to not be applicable to semi-auto pistols. The long, heavy trigger pull of a double action revolver makes it near impossible to snag fire. Semi-autos are a different animal with their shorter and lighter triggers. Another thing is that disengaging a safety adds absolutely no time to the draw. It is part of the draw.

Preferences being what they there are no strategic or practical advantages to not having a safety equipped semi auto. That compared to the minimal but real increase in risk from the absence of the safety is enough to make a safety a wise choice as well as prompting most manufacturers to offer manually operated safeties as either standard or optional even in conjuction with the passive, internal, trigger operated systems. The standby arguments of it's like a revolver, it's quicker and less complicated (not yet mentioned in this thread) are misconceptions.

To the OP: If you really want a safety equipped M&P9c then trade yours in and get one. You may end up taking a loss but IMHO it would be worth it for the presence of a safety.

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I've carried the M&P 9c for about two years now. I use a Galco IWB holster. I feel the trigger is all the safety I want/need. If you feel different, do what you gotta do to fix it.:dunno:

P.S. I really like this pistol. Great accuracy and has not had a single failure of any type. Hope I didn't just jinx myself.:cool:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I don't think your first trigger pull is longer then the next is it? They are DAO so they should be the same. And the DAO is your safety.

I have a full size M&P 9 and I have NEVER noticed any difference in the trigger pull from the 1st round to the next in over 1500 rounds. Is that even possible?

Sorry to threadjack

I think you guys are right. It was something that was in my mind and I believed it was true or it's just the anticipation of the first shot. The M&P is "striker fired" so it's the same all the time.

For sure I did notice that the trigger pull got smoother and maybe quicker as I put more rounds through it.

Back to out regularly scheduled program.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I think you guys are right. It was something that was in my mind and I believed it was true or it's just the anticipation of the first shot. The M&P is "striker fired" so it's the same all the time.

For sure I did notice that the trigger pull got smoother and maybe quicker as I put more rounds through it.

Back to out regularly scheduled program.

Btw...I love the M and Ps. I have quite a few handguns and my MP9 is by far the most accurate. At about 500 rounds the trigger is like butter. Totally underated and will out shoot Glocks and XDs all day long (at least the ones I have). Don't get me wrong I do like Glocks but my MP is more accurate and with about 1500 rounds through it 100 percent reliable. I remember when you could get them for $400 with a $50 rebate and 2 extra mags just a couple years ago :)

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    If you don't feel that you are competent enough with a firearm to maintain the discipline and vigilance necessary to keep from blowing a hole in your foot, then by all means, trade your M&P for something with a manual safety. Preferably, something with a manual safety AND a double-action first shot. And leave the chamber empty, as well. If you need a manual safety device to make up for incompetent and sloppy, careless gun handling, you might as well go all the way and carry with an empty chamber.

I've carried a Glock for well over 15 years, and recently switched to an M&P for off-duty and plainclothes use. I've never had an ND. A person who doesn't pay attention to their gun handling will eventually have an ND with any weapon. In addition, a manual safety adds a step between drawing and firing. Something else to forget when you are focused on a threat to your life and need your pistol to work right now.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My M&P9c is equipped with the manual safety.

I would like to remove it at some point, but I'm not at all confidant in my ability to do so. MOST gunsmiths decline to do this, too.

I've read instructions on how to do it, I've looked at the photo sequence. It just...intimidates me.

I traded for the pistol that I have because I couldn't find one with out the safety.

As another note, I think it's interesting to hear that people don't want to carry a weapon that doesn't have a safety... As well as those who say that they wouldn't carry one WITH a safety.

Well, folks, just about ever single modern revolver and pistol made today will have at least ONE safety. Heck, even Glock has THREE safeties.

It's rather cliche now, but it's true. The best safety on any firearm is the one that's between the user's ears.

-J-

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Thanks for the advice. Last thing I expected though was that my concern for safety would lead to being called an incompetent and sloppy gun handler. :bash:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    If you don't feel that you are competent enough with a firearm to maintain the discipline and vigilance necessary to keep from blowing a hole in your foot, then by all means, trade your M&P for something with a manual safety. Preferably, something with a manual safety AND a double-action first shot. And leave the chamber empty, as well. If you need a manual safety device to make up for incompetent and sloppy, careless gun handling, you might as well go all the way and carry with an empty chamber.

I've carried a Glock for well over 15 years, and recently switched to an M&P for off-duty and plainclothes use. I've never had an ND. A person who doesn't pay attention to their gun handling will eventually have an ND with any weapon. In addition, a manual safety adds a step between drawing and firing. Something else to forget when you are focused on a threat to your life and need your pistol to work right now.

:ugh:
    snap.gif

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. Last thing I expected though was that my concern for safety would lead to being called an incompetent and sloppy gun handler. :bash:

What else would you call someone who must rely on a switch or lever in order to keep from shooting something unintentionally? Modern arms do not fire unless the trigger is pulled. Seems like a simple concept to me to keep the finger and foreign objects out of the trigger guard, but hey, what do I know. :rolleyes:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The brain is the best safety and the only one that should be trusted. Keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until you are ready to fire is the way to go about being safe. Your pistol is fine for carry if you do your part. Mechanical safeties are not necessary, but if you feel that you would be better off with one make a trade nothing wrong with that.

You should be at ease and comfortable with the gun you are carrying. What the rest of the world thinks does not matter.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom