• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Now don't get me wrong, I truely love S&W revolvers, but I think the LCR has the better grips out of the box. You will notice that the SP101 and the LCR357 have a thicker backstrap and keep the fingers below the trigger guard in thier design, better than the out of the box J frames do. This allows you better control over the recoil of a 357 magnum I believe...

Also and just my opinion, but a full house 357 magnum at 10 feet is a much better hammer than the 380 or 9mm is and really who's worried about recoil under the pressure of having to use a handgun for self defense. Were not talking about going out and target shooting all day with it...

SyntorX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have shot the BG38. It is a really smooth shooting pistol. I did notice the laser was intermittent..I'm not sure if the recoil was causing it or the battery wasnt tight??? not sure. It had no more than 20 rounds thru it when I shot it.
    Either way, I have been looking at the LCR for my wife- we both really like the smooth trigger action on it. I think the LCR has a better trigger than the Bodyguard .38
    -->one vote for LCR

Catsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2011
    Ft Wayne
    My wife didn't care too much for the recoil on my XDm 9mm so we looked at a bunch of 380's. She felt much more comfortable w/ a manual safety so that ruled out alot. We bought a BG380 late spring/early summer. I like it alright (for a pocket/purse pistol). LONG trigger pull and fairly stiff also. Round count is in 250-ish range... hoping the stiff trigger will loosen up a bit. Funny thing now is.... she's getting more comfortable w/ the XDm. Go figure!!!

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I rented a LCR at Blythe's....back when they rented guns. I did not care for it, especially the trigger. I went with a .380 Bodyguard and have since graduated to a Sig P238 and love it.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Love my LCR! It's been my carry, since Ruger came out with them.

FYI- even the 38spl was very snappy with some hot ammo I bought... my hand could only take about ten rounds. I started reloading 38's, and with a standard charge, I can shoot a hundred rounds, and not have any problems from recoil. If I were going to shoot factory loads, I'd buy several different types to test for comfort and accuracy before stocking up on one in particular.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Now don't get me wrong, I truely love S&W revolvers, but I think the LCR has the better grips out of the box. You will notice that the SP101 and the LCR357 have a thicker backstrap and keep the fingers below the trigger guard in thier design, better than the out of the box J frames do. This allows you better control over the recoil of a 357 magnum I believe...

Also and just my opinion, but a full house 357 magnum at 10 feet is a much better hammer than the 380 or 9mm is and really who's worried about recoil under the pressure of having to use a handgun for self defense. Were not talking about going out and target shooting all day with it...

I have a 2 1/4" snubbed nose SP101 357. I love this gun. It is a few ounces heavier than the LCR revolver but if recoil is an issue with the LCR, you will barely notice it with the SP101. I notice it more with 158 gr 38 & 357 loads but it isn't horrible. Of course by going with a heavier gun it reduces the recoil you feel. Just my :twocents:.

funkeecowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    Marion County
    If you're thinking about pocket carry I found the LCR to be too big. The frame seems taller, top to bottom, than my j-frames and I really struggled with pocket carry in anything other than cargo pants. It's a great gun and I wouldn't mind having another one but not for pocket carry.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    I have a 2 1/4" snubbed nose SP101 357. I love this gun. It is a few ounces heavier than the LCR revolver but if recoil is an issue with the LCR, you will barely notice it with the SP101. I notice it more with 158 gr 38 & 357 loads but it isn't horrible. Of course by going with a heavier gun it reduces the recoil you feel. Just my :twocents:.

how is the sp101 for concealed carry? i'm stuck between the lcr and the sp101. i've held an lcr (.38 version), but not an sp101 yet.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The number of people responding to this thread who have never shot either gun cracks me up!

Having said that, I have owned both. The Ruger feels better in the hand but the Bodyguard has vastly superior sights on it. The laser built-in to the BG is great as a training aid too. I own and carry the BG380 and love it. I sold the Ruger many moons ago.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    LCR 357 hands down. Easy to conceal, lightweight and you can trust it to go BANG when you pull the silky smooth trigger. And it's a Ruger!

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    how is the sp101 for concealed carry? i'm stuck between the lcr and the sp101. i've held an lcr (.38 version), but not an sp101 yet.

The biggest thing with concealing the SP101 is the weight. It looks like the newer 2.25" are between 25 & 26 ounces. I am petite and I have worn it in the waist band and didn't feel it there. For me the biggest thing is to find the right belt to use with it so my pants don't sag.

It conceals easily in my purse but it is a killer on the shoulder since it is a little on the heavy side. Plus I carry it loaded & I have 10 extra bullets with me.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    The biggest thing with concealing the SP101 is the weight. It looks like the newer 2.25" are between 25 & 26 ounces. I am petite and I have worn it in the waist band and didn't feel it there. For me the biggest thing is to find the right belt to use with it so my pants don't sag.

It conceals easily in my purse but it is a killer on the shoulder since it is a little on the heavy side. Plus I carry it loaded & I have 10 extra bullets with me.

thanks. i'm definitely not petite, and already have a good gun belt, so i'll definitely look at the sp101.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    thanks. i'm definitely not petite, and already have a good gun belt, so i'll definitely look at the sp101.

I think Ruger really dropped the ball on the stock grip on the SP101. The gun itself is sexy, the grip is just plain ugly. The grip pin is just an ugly screw that doesn't even have an Eagle on it.

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow INGO member who sent me a Hogue grip, my SP101 is now all sexy. Below are before and after pics of the grips.

0311122041a.jpg

223891_4123617130852_2097417994_n.jpg

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    I think Ruger really dropped the ball on the stock grip on the SP101. The gun itself is sexy, the grip is just plain ugly. The grip pin is just an ugly screw that doesn't even have an Eagle on it.

Thanks to the generosity of a fellow INGO member who sent me a Hogue grip, my SP101 is now all sexy. Below are before and after pics of the grips.

0311122041a.jpg

223891_4123617130852_2097417994_n.jpg

thanks for the info. i'll try to remember to look at this tonight. stupid filters are work block most images.

exphys2010

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I have personally shot both of those, and I preferred the way the Bodyguard felt when shooting. I noticed that many people had mentioned a semi-auto in 9mm. I would have to agree with those individuals for preference in carrying a semiauto, especially with how slim some of the 9mm pocket guns have become. I personally debated between several 9mm pocket guns and I wound up buying the Beretta Nano, and I have never regretted my decision. It is extraordinarily easy to conceal without printing, it is very accurate at Self Defense range, and the trigger is awesome. But I dont think you could go wrong with either of those 38 special revolvers. Both are lightweight, accurate, and fairly easy to conceal. I was debating between the Bodyguard and the Taurus 617 in 357/38 special for a carry revolver and I wound up going with the Taurus, which has also performed very well. Good luck in your choosing.

Top Bottom