• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetiredSteve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    My wife just bought a Bodyguard 380 and I don't know if it's supposed to be this way or not but here's the issue :

When inserting the magazine, the only way it will go in is if you push the magazine release.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    It is a little stiff at first, I don't have one, but I have heard that. I was looking at one at Gander Mtn and tried to insert the mag and had to press the release as well, guy said that is normal.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    That's just a little outside the realm of "normal" -I'd be calling S&W on that one. Had two of them, they needed a firm bump with the palm of your opposing hand to seat them but being forced to use the release button isn't right.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If you look up inside the magazine well you will see that the mag catch does not have much lead-in on the angle. You can soften the angle either with an emery board or through repeated insertions of the magazine. You certainly can send it back to S&W, but they will likely do the same thing. I'd go the multiple magazine insertion route, giving the magazine a good slap to seat it, but by all means if it doesn't loosen up for you send it in.

RetiredSteve

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    I wish I could get a good pic....but I bet the mag catch sticks into the mag well close to 1/16th inch. One the exterior right side, where the mag release is, is not flush with the frame. I hate to send it back to S&W, she just got it today and has zero rounds through it.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I would try the suggestions of working it a few times with a mag, see if that makes any difference. My wife also went the S&W way when she picked up a pocket .380, but I dont recall her ever having issue #1 with hers at all.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Got 2 bodyguards here at the house. New, out of the box, both guns showed a little resistance about the last 1/16th when loading magazines. A good tap on the base of the mag seated the mag into the magwell. After some range time, say 75-100 rounds, we no longer have the issue and now mags take a just take a very gentle tap to seat.

Dudley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    Lafayette
    My wife just bought a Bodyguard 380 and I don't know if it's supposed to be this way or not but here's the issue :

When inserting the magazine, the only way it will go in is if you push the magazine release.

Mine is the same way, has been from day one. The magazine goes about halfway then stops, push the release then it slides and sets in just fine. I just thought that was the way it was made.

PurdueBoilermaker, I haven't had any problems with mine. I have about 1,000 rounds through it.

mwaym

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Okay.... just hit it with a few licks of a nail file..... smooth as butter now.... :rockwoot:Thanks for the advice......

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    For the boilermaker-only issue with one of our bodyguards was that the laser quit working(probably never use it in a real life situation) around a month after purchase. Called s&w and they instructed me to send just the laser in to a specific person at their address. Took about a month to receive replacement. I did try fresh batts before calling them but had no luck.

shortbusbob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    east
    For the boilermaker-only issue with one of our bodyguards was that the laser quit working(probably never use it in a real life situation) around a month after purchase. Called s&w and they instructed me to send just the laser in to a specific person at their address. Took about a month to receive replacement. I did try fresh batts before calling them but had no luck.

Ours too . I had my lgs install a xs big dot night sight . Much better . We did not bother with new batteries .

HollowPoint

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    My magazines hung up on the magazine release when new as did others commenting. I found that just a light tap with the open palm of the hand on the bottom of the magazine when inserted made it slide in just fine. Just repeat a few times with each magazine. I don't believe it needs to go back to the factory.

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    Mine requires the light tap method too, but I might try a little polishing as see if that makes it smooth.

Top Bottom