• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff-223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I am thinking about buying a S&W 9mm Sigma pistol. Can anyone who owns one let me know what you think of them? I like how if feels in my hand and the price.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I had one. It was "ok". Felt good in the hand and I never had any feeding/ejecting malfunctions with it - however - the trigger was absolutely horrible and the firing pin snapped in half after 500ish rounds.

I didn't even bother getting it repaired. I sold it for $150 bucks and never regretted it.

It's not a horrible firearm, but it's nothing close to great either. Just do a search on this forum. The common feedback is always "O.K. gun - horrible trigger". Personally, I'd up the budget 50-100 bucks. That will open your options up to firearms that are leagues better.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Like Jag stated above you will get very mixed reviews with the common being not a bad gun but horrible trigger.

I tend to agree. I have shot several and I personally do not think they are bad. In my experience they have been reliable and I have always said they are not a bad gun at all. I just do not like the trigger on them personally. I do know several people that own them and they are ok with the trigger. Everyone is different, if it works for you then that is all that matters.
    If it is at all possible for you to shoot one prior to purchasing that would be great, just so you can be sure you are comfortable with it.

I have also seen and experienced myself in my new shooting days that sometimes a bad trigger is fine when you don't know any better and then as you shoot different guns and see what else is out there, you then realize that you may want something else. I am not trying to say you don't know any better, because I do not know what your handgun experience is, just stating that sometimes this happens with newer shooters.

Trav43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Northern Shelby county
    I just bought one at the last 1500. The trigger pull was 13 lbs., hard enough not to be accurate. After removing the pigtail spring and some polishing trigger pull is 6lbs. not great but reasonable. 200 rounds thru it and I am starting to like it.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I have the 40 cal sigma and love it. I have put several hundred rounds through it with no problems. Trigger pull is hard but it was partially designed that way. I like the gun, great bang for the buck. Got it when I couldnt afford to go for more expensive models.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    For not much more money, you can invest in a S&W SD-9... Or for even a little more money ($450 used) step up further to an M&P 9.

The latest iterations of the Sigma are a much better product than the originals...but there are certainly better options out there.

I'm not sure if they've actually stopped production of the SD line yet or not, but they're going to (for some idiotic reason).

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Why not a police trade in S&W 5906? Usually the trigger has been smoothed out for you. Only $300-$340 online. Magazines are cheap and so are holsters.

That's another FANTASTIC option, especially if the gun is meant for nightstand duty.

The 5906 is a BIG pistol, though. Much larger & heavier than the other S&W products mentioned in the thread.

For an experienced handgunner / carrier of handguns, it probably wouldn't be an issue ($$ for a GOOD belt, $$ for a GOOD holster, etc), but for someone just looking to get into an entry -level carry gun, I'd recommend either a S&W SD-9 or even a beat-up Glock 19. (amongst others)

-J-

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I am thinking about buying a S&W 9mm Sigma pistol. Can anyone who owns one let me know what you think of them? I like how if feels in my hand and the price.

Welcome to INGO!

The Sigma pistol is one of the most discussed (and disgusting) pistols here on INGO. To help you out a little if you go to the top of the page and click the search tab, go to advanced search, type Sigma in the box and click search titles only you will find multiple threads about this pistol. For what it's worth, I had one, sold it quickly and never looked back. You will find a wide range of opinions though and to each their own.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    Havnt had a Sigma but have owned an SD9 and currently own an M&P9. IMO, the SD line is fantastic for the money. The feel of the gun in my hand and how comfortable it was too shoot has been the best out of all the handguns I have shot! I sold my SD(which I regret) and upgraded to an M&P9. I dont regret buying the M&P at all but I wish I still had the SD. They are both fantastic guns. As far as the Sigma, IMO try to save money for either a SD or M&P. You wont regret it. The Sigma just doesnt have the overall performance and reliablility of its bigger brothers. The trigger is despicable!

Either way, buy a S&W! :patriot:

simpleman44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    white county
    I carry mine everyday. Have never had a single failure. I always have found it funny to hear comments from people who have never owned or shot one. The trigger lightens up some after a couple hundred rounds, but is definately heavy for a semi-auto. Designed that way as the guns 2nd safety, u being the 1st. I bought mine because of the great value and the fact it is extremly comfy in the hand, unlike a glock. Oops did i say that.

Eric05

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    New Palestine
    I carry mine everyday. Have never had a single failure. I always have found it funny to hear comments from people who have never owned or shot one. The trigger lightens up some after a couple hundred rounds, but is definately heavy for a semi-auto. Designed that way as the guns 2nd safety, u being the 1st. I bought mine because of the great value and the fact it is extremly comfy in the hand, unlike a glock. Oops did i say that.

definitely agree that they are very comfortable

Bollorollo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If it is a S&W you want than look at the SD models. You will find them for around $60 to $80 more and are a nice gun. Like you will read a lot here and also will hear at the dealers the trigger has a long pull and many don't care for this. Happy search on your new pistol.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I thought Smith was getting rid of the SDs?

As for the Sigmas, I've only shot 1, a 9mm, but I put 100 rounds through it. When it was new it shot high and to the right, the more it got shot it centered and was fairly accurate at 25 yards. The trigger does get better too with more shooting.

True, the Sigmas aren't the prettiest of looking pistols, but they work fine and are solid. Besides, you ever have any issues, send it back to Smith and they'll take care of you.

On a side note, I was shooting the Sigma (and still fairly new at it), and outshot my friend and his Glock (which he's out 600 rounds through it). I felt good about that :D

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    I just bought one at the last 1500. The trigger pull was 13 lbs., hard enough not to be accurate. After removing the pigtail spring and some polishing trigger pull is 6lbs. not great but reasonable. 200 rounds thru it and I am starting to like it.
    ^^^Yup! A buddy of mine has one, and I initially thought something was wrong with it, as the trigger was so bad! I helped him remove a spring, and it is leaps and bounds better, but still not good by any stretch!

3shots

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Doans,Indiana
    I edc a S&W40ve the trigger is revolver like, good work can be done with it.You are not going to shoot yourself in the leg with this gun. my glock 22 shoots tighter groups but the 40ve shoots much softer with same ammo.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I edc a S&W40ve the trigger is revolver like, good work can be done with it.You are not going to shoot yourself in the leg with this gun. my glock 22 shoots tighter groups but the 40ve shoots much softer with same ammo.

It's interesting that you say the trigger is revolver-like. I primarily shoot double action revolvers and have dabbled here and there with semi-autos, but I think I honestly prefer the heavier trigger pull of my snubbie over my Glock or the wife's XD. There's a certain tactile satisfaction as the trigger makes that long trek back, you know?

Do any of you who hate the Sigma trigger have anything to say about comparing it to a revolver trigger?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    To help you out a little if you go to the top of the page and click the search tab, go to advanced search, type Sigma in the box and click search titles only you will find multiple threads about this pistol.

or make it simple and copy:

sigma site:ingunowners.com/forums

and paste in to Google.

Much better search engine, that Google ;)

davedolli

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Clinton IN
    I had a .40, and I didn't think it was that bad at all. The trigger pull was not the best, but it wasn't that hard to get use to it. I got it in a trade, and later traded it for something in 9mm. I agree with other posters who mentioned the 3rd gen S&W pistols, they are really nice.

Dave

Top Bottom