• ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    My grandpa is in the market for a new revolver. Originally he thought he wanted a Judge or Governor, but apparently has now landed on a 638. We used to have a 642 in the collection but it was stolen a few years back out of my college rental house.

Should he go for the 638 or replace the 642? He has a friend that carries a 638, which is why, I think, he thinks he wants one.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd go with the enclosed hammer over the bodyguard style. So, if I had to choose between those two, then I'd go 642.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I used to have an older S&W Model 38 Bodyguard which I really loved. Trouble is it had the old thin blade sights which I can no longer pick up well. A few years ago I traded it for a 442 and while I like it also, I prefer the Bodyguard style but unfortunately S&W only makes the Bodyguard in stainless now a days and once again I have trouble picking up silver sights. So the 442 it is....

BlueDog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    NE Indiana
    The 642 is great. I've never had the 638, but can't imagine shooting one single action much. The 642 sits slightly differently in my hand than the 638 (a little higher on the grip), and I think this may a very slight difference in controlibility. By the way, I think the 642 is pleasant to shot, but this is all relative.

turn n shoot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    One drawback of the 638 is that if you pocket carry it is more prone to getting lint & dirt into the action through the opening for the single action hammer. Some people have this problem though, and some don't.

Tom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    Better Yet Ruger LCR

My grandpa is in the market for a new revolver. Originally he thought he wanted a Judge or Governor, but apparently has now landed on a 638. We used to have a 642 in the collection but it was stolen a few years back out of my college rental house.

Should he go for the 638 or replace the 642? He has a friend that carries a 638, which is why, I think, he thinks he wants one.

I own and carry a S&W 642 which was originally purchased for my wife but because of the significant recoil she never took to carrying it. It conceals good and has a very good round for the size of the gun however the recoil and strength required to pull the trigger are a significant drawback. Since we purchased the 642 I have fired the Ruger LCR. The Ruger has decided advantages on terms of felt recoil and a smooth trigger.

Just my opinion.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Just bought a 442 last night and took it to the range. Very nice gun. It handled +P no problem and, with the bigger grip I put on it, I thought the PR was not uncomfortable at all. It does take some time and effort to become proficient with one of these snubbies.

nebulous

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My daughter loves her 638! She loves to shoot it single action, and that was the determining factor choosing the 638 over models with fully exposed or enclosed hammers. For those that do not know, the 638 has a shrouded hammer. It barely protrudes from the shroud surrounding it, but it is enough for your thumb to grip and cock it.

Product: Model 638

HDFLHRC08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Grant County
    I really like my 438, which is a 638 in black. I have had it for a couple years now and have enjoyed shooting it and carrying it. I use .38 special for practice and +p for carry. (of course I do SOME practicing with the +p to be prepared for the extra bite, which isn't all that much)

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I have enjoyed the 638 for the option of using it SA vs DAO. After carrying it in the pocket of either 5.11 pants or Duluth Trading Fire Hose Work Pants for 3-4 months, I do show some lint in the hammer channel, but I'm also trying to use it / clean it at least that often for some range drills. I use a "blue gun" for draw practice.

Top Bottom