• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    mid southern Indiana
    My 624 has a recall for a bad cylinder. I received this when my father passed away in 1987. Been looking at the recall issue for awhile and finally emailed S&W and sure enough, it is on the recall list. I am going to call them Tuesday and see what my options are. This is more of an heirloom than an actual shooter. I was going to pass this on to one of my kids but don't want them shooting a heavier load and having the cylinder crack. It has only had maybe two boxes of shells shot through it and no problems. Does anyone have any info on this?

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Far as I'm concerned, if it were mine, I'd get it checked out. There is a possibility of the heat treat being messed up. And even if you pass it along with a warning that's not going to keep hot rounds from getting into the cylinder.
    S&W's customer service is pretty damn good, they will square you away.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    The recall if I remember correctly was for a bad batch of stainless steel that was used in the Model 624. I was running fairly hot loads thru mine in the late eighties and had no problems. I received the recall twenty years ago, and was shocked that my gun was on the list. It functioned fine and handled hot reloads, but to be safe I sent my gun back to S&W. They had the gun for several days, tested it, and sent it back to me within a week. My gun passed the inspection and has served me well for the last 25 years. But....every gun in the recall should be tested by S&W so send it in.

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    Send it in...no sense in wondering whether or not it's safe to shoot, especially if you're going to be handing it down to your kids. If my kids are anything like me they'd shoot hot loads through it just because you said not to. That's probably why I had girls, maybe they won't be so much like me! haha:laugh:

hammers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    mid southern Indiana
    Just got around to calling S&W. They are sending a shipping label to send my 624 back. They gave me a # to check status. Not sure on how long it will take. Will keep updating. As this seems to be a problem with these revolvers, I'm surprised no one on Indygo has done this. Maybe rarity of gun? Sorry, forgot what DEET posted.

Last edited:

hammers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    mid southern Indiana
    Called today and my name wasn't even on their list for shipping labels. Another 7-10 days.Hope this isn't normal for S&W as I have a 638 on my buy list whenever I get my ltch. 11 weeks and holding.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    +1 Here..

That's odd. These days I would think they'd just email you a label to print yourself. Keep after them.

^^^That's exactly what Ruger did for me when I had a service issue on a GP-100. I just printed the e-mailed shipping label+sent off. Got it back after a few weeks in "Like New" condition..Bill.

hammers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    mid southern Indiana
    624 recall

Got the shipping label. Since I don't have the original box, can I just box up the plastic pistol case I keep it in or do I need to get a box for the the gun? I appereciate every ones input on this.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I hope you held it and told it how much you loved it. If it is a bad one you will never see it again. They are no longer in production and there are on repair parts. If one of the bad ones you will get a certificate for a new S&W.

hammers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    mid southern Indiana
    Tomorrow ( Friday ) will be six weeks since my 624 was delivered for cylinder inspection. Plant shutdown was one week, I'll give them that but five weeks? First 12 - 14 days now I'm supposed allow 2 - 3 weeks for shutdown? Emailed them again so we'll see what they say this time. I own (I guess I still own the one they have.) two S&W handguns but after this I will probably never own another one. Very dissapointed. Hope no one else has these issues.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Sorry to hear you are having issue with your S&W. Hopefully it will come back better then new. Delays really suck!

Top Bottom