• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    It's the old "looking for a gun for my mom" thread again... I found a Smith 22lr Air Lite for sale and was wondering how easy it would be to shoot DA. I know recoil should be more manageable than .38, but would the trigger be easier if she doesn't have a lot of hand strength? Or same as any other revolver?

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Honestly I would assume it would be the same trigger pull. Most revolvers I've shot that were same make model but different caliber the trigger was the same. Then again sometimes they will change them. Best wait for someone more knowledgeable.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Honestly I would assume it would be the same trigger pull. Most revolvers I've shot that were same make model but different caliber the trigger was the same. Then again sometimes they will change them. Best wait for someone more knowledgeable.

They are not...Believe me when I say they are not....The airlite .22 has a bobbed hammer and smith and wesson was concerned about light hammer strikes with 22 rimfire...The coil spring they replaced it with is STRONG!!! Some guys have replaced the spring with the standard J frame spring and had good results...I have not changed mine out but the thought has crossed my mind..

Even with the strong spring and heavy trigger, accuracy with this gun is exceptional.....

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you are not set on a revolver I would take a look at a M&P22, it is a great beginners handgun as is really easy to manipulate and a joy to shoot.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I will second what indiuky said. My uncle has 351 which is 22 mag hammerless j-frame and the trigger pull was 13 pounds before I replaced it. You might consider either the Ruger lcr or S&W .38 Bodyguard. In my opinion they have nice triggers for j frame size revolvers. She could use the classic 148 grain wadcutter for practice which has very little recoil.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I gave my mother a Smith Model 10 made in the year she was married (1964). It has the OEM stocks on it but I put a Tyler T on it.

No trigger job but the action is like butter from use and she dry practices. I taught her hand and finger exercises to keep her hands functional and keep arthritis away.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We might be able to get away with an LCR. I know that the LCR trigger is smoother and lighter than the trigger on a Smith of the same size. Still thinking about whether this is a good idea period.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    If you are not set on a revolver I would take a look at a M&P22, it is a great beginners handgun as is really easy to manipulate and a joy to shoot.

I kind of agree here. Unless there is some reason the preference is for a revolver over a semi auto. The trigger pull is all of about 5-6 lbs. A very good semi auto (pull & recoil) to learn on. Mine is slightly finnicky on ammo (round nosed, copper plated preferred)... others have reported otherwise.

Top Bottom