RX and over the counter meds we should have...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    The last time I checked on it here (about 5 yrs or more) it was $250.00 just for one course. And you had to have first aid first. I have no idea what it would be now, but I believe we would have to go to the U of I and still have Advanced First Aid first. (maybe a couple other classes/certifications too?)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    If you want to be an EMT join your local Volunteer service they usually will pay for the training. They just expect a little of your time in return...

indysafe317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Just curious

Is there a good resource for pet antibiotics and that type of thing that can cross to humans. I have some from past illnesses but everything requires a prescription. Just curious if there is a legal way around this. Also what is everyone's thoughts on the Tami flu. Just trying to get a basic kit ready for ?????

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    This would come in handy when I decide to tape my husband to a tree!

Now that is just TOOOO sexy........TMI. You and your husband just might have to tone things down a bit in a situation such as we are discussing! :)

Good info everyone, thanks for some things that weren't on my list.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Also what is everyone's thoughts on the Tami flu.

I wouldn't worry about Tamiflu. For normal, healthy adults, it isn't worth it. It's only good against certain types of flu and it may decrease the duration of flu symptoms by 1 or 2 days. It's not cheap either. Look to pay around $90 per person (unless you are willing to fraudulently bill your insurance company).

As far as Motrin (ibuprofen), Tylenol (acetaminphen), and aspirin. All can be used for pain or fever. Tylenol won't help inflammation as is usually the case in "athletic" type injuries. Plus if you are stocking up on other pain relievers such as Vicodin, you won't want to add Tylenol to that. Aspirin and ibuprofen work the same general way, but aspirin has more anticlotting activity. If you are trying to stop bleeding, that is not good. If you are having a heart attack though, it is good.

If we are looking for a kit for bug out purposes, I wouldn't worry about all three and just take ibuprofen. I also wouldn't worry about vitamins in a bug out kit. You can make it a couple of weeks without. If you are looking for long-term that may be different.

I'm also curious why a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope are needed. What steps are you going to take if the readings are out of "normal range"?

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I wouldn't worry about Tamiflu. For normal, healthy adults, it isn't worth it. It's only good against certain types of flu and it may decrease the duration of flu symptoms by 1 or 2 days. It's not cheap either. Look to pay around $90 per person (unless you are willing to fraudulently bill your insurance company).

As far as Motrin (ibuprofen), Tylenol (acetaminphen), and aspirin. All can be used for pain or fever. Tylenol won't help inflammation as is usually the case in "athletic" type injuries. Plus if you are stocking up on other pain relievers such as Vicodin, you won't want to add Tylenol to that. Aspirin and ibuprofen work the same general way, but aspirin has more anticlotting activity. If you are trying to stop bleeding, that is not good. If you are having a heart attack though, it is good.

If we are looking for a kit for bug out purposes, I wouldn't worry about all three and just take ibuprofen. I also wouldn't worry about vitamins in a bug out kit. You can make it a couple of weeks without. If you are looking for long-term that may be different.

I'm also curious why a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope are needed. What steps are you going to take if the readings are out of "normal range"?

Couldn't you use warm baths for extended periods to lower blood pressure?

Depending on when the shtf I would have @ 30 to 90 day supply of fentanyl and vicodin. I would have to immediately begin to wean myself off or risk going into even worse withdrawls I figure. Man I pray we never have to find the hard way to detox me. I have kept my narc reliance in check the best I can but I get the creepy crawlies after about 4 hours without my fentanyl patch. Usually after a shower I will reapply but once in a while I forget. Man does that ruin my night.
    Thanks for the great tips to add to our kit.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Also Benzodiazepine class medications such as Alprozolm (Xanax) or Atavan (Lorazepam) will temporarily relax the nervous system for people with withdraw or severe anxiety/stress issues. Benzodiazepines for nervous system and beta blockers will lower HR and BP especially in a high stress environment.

Last edited:

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Also Benzodiazepine class medications such as Alprozolm (Xanax) or Atavan (Lorazepam) will temporarily relax the nervous system for people with withdraw or severe anxiety/stress issues. Benzodiazepines for nervous system and beta blockers will lower HR and BP especially in a high stress environment.

I wouldn't recommend Ativan, Xanax, Valium, etc. especially if you don't normally take them. They can have the same affect as alcohol as far as depressing the central nervous system. The high stress situation is your body at its height of awareness. If you are needing to use your firearms, being under the influence of a benzodiazepine is not what you want. Just like driving under the influence.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I wouldn't recommend Ativan, Xanax, Valium, etc. especially if you don't normally take them. They can have the same affect as alcohol as far as depressing the central nervous system. The high stress situation is your body at its height of awareness. If you are needing to use your firearms, being under the influence of a benzodiazepine is not what you want. Just like driving under the influence.

True but at a very low dose, it may benefit more than intoxicate. Kinda like how some armies used medications to ease battlefield stress and allowed them to make the shots count; especially for snipers. Breathing exercises may help up to a point but beyond that....

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The only meds I might have in my FAK would be Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Tylenol. Any patient beyond what those three can care for will need EVAC anyway. I might keep some stronger stuff in the base stash. Where having someone confined to a bed is a lesser issue.

Top Bottom