• ...and so much more!
  • sinnful

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox
    I recently was given a early 80's winchester 9422 that has some surface rust. Curious the best way to remove this before it goes in the safe. It holds a special place in my heart as it was my grandfathers. So I am just looking for a way to preserve it. Any and all help is greatly appreciate.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    If it really is just surface rust, I would use Eezox on a cotton patch to rub the rust off. I would then give the whole gun a light coating/film of Eezox. Hopefully, others will weigh in.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    If the eezox doesn't work maybe some fine steel wool or sandpaper and some cold blue? How is the bore BTW? I'd be more interested in cleaning and protecting the bore than anything cosmetic first. Some local yokel dealer here has some soft aluminum shaving coil stuff he swears will remove any bore rust and make that thang purdy (as he puts it). Just run it down the barrel a time or two and Voila!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've actually had some pretty good results with using fine steel wool and just about any brand of gun oil. Takes off surface rust and leave a coating of oil and your ready for the safe!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I use OOOO Steel wool and Break Free. Just put the Break Free on the bbl and lightly rub with the steel wool. If it's just surface rust it should clean up nicely.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    Hit a wrong key there. DO NOT USE SAND PAPER OR STEEL WOOL, EVER!!!!
    Use a brass bristle brush, brass or copper kitchen scrubber pad or if it is heavy, a brass cartridge case with the end flattened out, to make a scraper. Don't be in a real hurry. Remove a little, then let it soak some more. Remove brass or copper residue with a good bore cleaner...

henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    sandpaper!!??

Never use sandpaper on the exterior of a gun!

If three sessions with Breakfree and a cotton rag do not remove the rust, gently use 0000 steel wool with Breakfree.

Even though the gun is not yet "vintage" I would not use any touch up bluing on it as this would decrease the collector value.

hoagyfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    i recently purchased some copper wool and it seems to work but takes a little more effort than steel (0000) wool...

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I bought a few of these Rust Removal cloths from MidwayUSA a week ago to try out. They cost like $2.00 so I figured why not? They wipe the rust off like it was dirt. Now I am talking surface rust here, not deep pitting rust. It will remove that too but you have to hold the cloth on the area for a while to let the juice soak in then start rubbing and it will come off. Cleans right down to the bare metal and it will remove bluing so atch it aroun those areas. I used the ones I bought to clean up some reloading dies and bullet molds that had rusted a bit in my garage over the winter. I should have known better than to store them out there but it wasn't supposed to be for long. It turned out to be longer than I had hoped as usual so the rust happened. Thankfully only surface rust and even more thankfully, those cloths from MidwayUSA took it all right off like it never happened.

Top Bottom