• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    WD 40 is a penetrating oil. It gets in to deep places but has no staying power. One of the cheapest and best oils I have used is 3in1. It leaves a cover and don't varnish. It cleans, lubricates and prevents rust. They also make a sae 20 motor oil that holds up well on the inside of a barrel for when stored. You do need to clean it out before use though.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I own the same rifle and I use simple old CLP. I wipe it down and store it in the gun cabinet. I've never had rust issues with my guns. If I take em out I wipe em down with a rag to keep fingerprints off. The problem here is that foam case. Never store firearms in a foam case as they suck the oil out of the gun and also hold moisture.:twocents:

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    WD-40 was developed fro NASA as a lubricant that would not thicken in the cold of space. The best stuff I've used to prevent rust is Rig, G96 and Inhibitor V80. Rig has been around for years, it's drawback is that the metal must be free from contaminates before it's applied. G96 does a good job, plus cleans as it is applied. Inhibitor is kind of like a wax and creeps into every crevice. Read an article years back stating that one fellow would cleaned his guns well, then applied high quality car wax. It made sense he hunted Alaska, where even gortex won't keep you dry....:@ya:.......<><Duce

Top Bottom