• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GeoffM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Hello everyone! Here comes a NOOB question! I tried a search for this topic, but didn't find any specific to reloading, so here goes...
    After a few weeks of reloading, I have noticed annoying spots of rust appearing on my press handle and the dies themselves...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I wipe them down with oily rags and that seems to get it off mostly, but it concerns me a bit... The Lyman documents suggested de-greasing them and then wiping them down with oil. I did that first thing, but they are still rusting... I am beginning to wonder about the insides of the dies that I cannot see...
    What do you suggest to remove rust and keep it from reappearing, or is this the nature of the parts?

Also, while we're on the topic of tarnish... I notice my ammo getting really dull after a few weeks of sitting around, especially after handling (unloading/reloading the good self-defense ammo from mags at the range). Any pointers on this subject?

Thank you!!

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Do you keep your reloading stuff in a damp basement, or anywhere with high humidity? It's tough to keep metal parts from rusting in that type of environment, but a shot of spray rem oil couldn't hurt. Make sure ALL the rust is off before you spray it, or it'll keep coming back.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Rust is the result of the dies having no finish. Use a ScotchBrite pad, Green color to remove the rust. After cleaning use a good quality oil and spray them all over to protect the metal. Store then in a dry place inside the living area of your home.

GeoffM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    yes, they're in a basement. There's a dehumidifier about 4 feet away, so I didn't think it would be too damp... darn... Thank you for the suggestions!!! I have some 0000 steel wool... is that OK to try? I have motor oil, WD-40, Ballistol, and FP10.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Dies need to be cleaned and maintained exactly the same as the firearm they are being used to load for. Using exactly the same materials, oils, and brushes. The inside of a resizing die is an exact chamber for the cartridge being manufactured by you. It should be clean and dry while being used and cleaned and oiled while not being used.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What is a higher quality die? What is better than a Lyman? I own them all. RCBS, Forster, Lee, etc. In various calibers.

They all need to be maintained, cleaned, and oiled. They are all high quality steel but none are rustproof. None claim to be maintenance free.

Sean

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    yes, they're in a basement. There's a dehumidifier about 4 feet away, so I didn't think it would be too damp... darn... Thank you for the suggestions!!! I have some 0000 steel wool... is that OK to try? I have motor oil, WD-40, Ballistol, and FP10.

Having the dehumidifier is great but you need to know the actual humidity level. Does your dehumidifier display the humidity? If not buy a digital thermometer that displays humidity. I also have my reloading supplies in the basement and aim for 40% humidity. I had a small dehumidifier that would barely keep up so I bought a larger unit and it works significantly better and doesn't run all the time. I'm pretty lazy so I avoid water based lube, I only use alcohol with lanolin or sizing wax. When I'm done I wipe down the dies real quick and I've never had a problem with rust. Do you dump the bucket on your dehumidifier or does it dump to a drain? If you empty it and it's filling up and shutting off for hours at a time before you empty it you're just letting the humidity shoot back up. At about 45% RH or below it's nearly impossible for rust problems to arise.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    My dies are in a basement also I keep the tool head for my Dillon 550 on a stand I give them a light coat of oil and wrapped with a oily rag. My room does have a dehumidifier and the basement is air conditioned. If I don't check them they can get some surface rust on them just like yours. Before I had the set up that I have now I kept my dies in a plastic tub with desiccant moisture is not your friend.

GeoffM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    alright, thanx for the comments and suggestions guys! all good input!!
    Sloughfoot: that sums it up perfectly! I never thought of it like that...
    OK, so we have established I have a humidity problem. I do not have a moisture-o-meter, but will look into that. I never really thought it was a problem, but obviously it's a bit high! Anyways, as far as the dies: I'll see if I can get it (rust) off, then spray 'em down and store them upstairs when I am not using them (and clean them regularly!). Good stuff! Learning.:ingo:

Top Bottom