• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The other day paperboy told me that, if I wanted to find out how accurate my Russian SKS is ...all I have to do is look below the front sight on the business end of the barrel. The accuracy was checked at the factory by firing 3 rounds, and if it obtained sniper quality it was marked on the front sight base with the #1, with #2 and#3 as accuracy decreased.
    Mine is marked #1

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    The other day paperboy told me that, if I wanted to find out how accurate my Russian SKS is ...all I have to do is look below the front sight on the business end of the barrel. The accuracy was checked at the factory by firing 3 rounds, and if it obtained sniper quality it was marked on the front sight base with the #1, with #2 and#3 as accuracy decreased.
    Mine is marked #1

I could be wrong (Been that way before) but I think this has been proven wrong. I've gotten better accuracy from a ChiCom before than the two Russkies i've had. I will try to find out.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    I could be wrong (Been that way before) but I think this has been proven wrong. I've gotten better accuracy from a ChiCom before than the two Russkies i've had. I will try to find out.

www.carbinesforcollectors.com/sks.htm

Russian SKS model 45 (CKC45g)
    Tula- Weapons were produced in this area by artesians starting in the 16th century because of the mineral deposits close at hand and in the 18th century Tula Arsenal which is the oldest arsenal in Russia was built and was the first to use water powered machinery to produce weapons. Producing SKS's 1949 through 1955 with early model receivers in 49-50-51 and 52, late model receivers in 52 through 55. The guns that were manufactured starting in 1946 through 1948 were trials guns and use a bayonet that looks like one from a Mosin Nagant Model 1944, and there were two styles of locking mechanism for the blade bayonet made as well. There were also early model bolts on 49-50-51-and maybe the early part of 52. Tula's mark is a five point star with an arrow inside, found on the bolt carrier cover and on the 55 model it can be a small star on the left side of the receiver as well.
    Izhevsk- producing 1953 through 1954 with no variations known by me as I have only seen two of them. Izhevsk's mark is a circle with a triangle inside, with an arrow inside that, also found on the bolt carrier cover.
    The stocks on the Russian SKS are made of Artic Birch and have an almost natural camo pattern when stained or oiled which ever it is. Actually smells like old used motor oil. Replacement stocks were made using laminated Birch, sometimes containing two reinforcing bolts.
    I have seen bayonets that were blued, satin chrome and polished chrome, actions that were re-finished in black powder paint and that were beautiful polished blue. The accuracy of an SKS was checked by firing 3 rounds at a target and if it obtained sniper quality it was marked on the front of the front sight base with the number 1, with #2 and #3 as accuracy decreased.

Yeah, like I said. Wrong:n00b:

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    www.carbinesforcollectors.com/sks.htm

Russian SKS model 45 (CKC45g)
    Tula- Weapons were produced in this area by artesians starting in the 16th century because of the mineral deposits close at hand and in the 18th century Tula Arsenal which is the oldest arsenal in Russia was built and was the first to use water powered machinery to produce weapons. Producing SKS's 1949 through 1955 with early model receivers in 49-50-51 and 52, late model receivers in 52 through 55. The guns that were manufactured starting in 1946 through 1948 were trials guns and use a bayonet that looks like one from a Mosin Nagant Model 1944, and there were two styles of locking mechanism for the blade bayonet made as well. There were also early model bolts on 49-50-51-and maybe the early part of 52. Tula's mark is a five point star with an arrow inside, found on the bolt carrier cover and on the 55 model it can be a small star on the left side of the receiver as well.
    Izhevsk- producing 1953 through 1954 with no variations known by me as I have only seen two of them. Izhevsk's mark is a circle with a triangle inside, with an arrow inside that, also found on the bolt carrier cover.
    The stocks on the Russian SKS are made of Artic Birch and have an almost natural camo pattern when stained or oiled which ever it is. Actually smells like old used motor oil. Replacement stocks were made using laminated Birch, sometimes containing two reinforcing bolts.
    I have seen bayonets that were blued, satin chrome and polished chrome, actions that were re-finished in black powder paint and that were beautiful polished blue. The accuracy of an SKS was checked by firing 3 rounds at a target and if it obtained sniper quality it was marked on the front of the front sight base with the number 1, with #2 and #3 as accuracy decreased.

Yeah, like I said. Wrong:n00b:

This was a comparison of the accuaracy of Russian SKS's . They didn't check the accuracy against the Chi-Com SKS

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I had a russian once apon a time, it was much more accurate than the number of china ones. better looking wood also.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got a 1954 Tula SKS and when I saw this thread I had to check mine. Mine has a 1 on the towards the #1. It has the Arctic Birch stock, the wood sure is purdy.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Its the 7.62 that is the weak link in accuracy not the rifle.

With Wolf and some other steel cased, "military pattern" ammo, this CAN be the case. I have handloaded for several Norinco SKS, you can get under 1.5MOA, as long as the load it matched to the rifle (and red dots, never did a proper scope :( ). Heck, I had a SLR-106FR that would do 2 MOA with 75gr handloads I made for it (and it is an AK!).

Now, that doesn't make every SKS capable of that accuracy. The Norks were great, had one Yugo that would do awesome. But alot of the rifles are abused (particularly the Yugos) and the Norks can be abused as well by former owners (hey, they were cheap back then, mentality of cheap guns is "I dont care about it").

The cartridge certainly isn't, its the manufacturer of the ammo that can bear some inspection.

People throw loose ammo in these guns and complain that the accuracy isn't there probably put cheapo gas in their car and complain when the filters clog! :D

Top Bottom