Russia vs Ukraine anyone watching this ignite?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Once again you're making a "If you aren't for X then you're supporting Y" kind of statement.

No, being against one thing doesn't make you support another.
    Negative. Pointing out that 'the US didn't keep its promises' is not a behavior that Putin (or anyone else) can unhypocritically bemoan

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    While we've been talking about NATO's promise not to expand eastward, I think it would only be fair to bring up the 1994 Budapest memorandum in which Russia was a signatory. Under the terms of the memorandum Ukraine agreed to give up their nukes in exchange for assurances respecting their independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine.

Now according to those terms Putin's decision to disregard Ukraine's sovereign boundaries with this current incursion is in direct violation of that memorandum.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While we've been talking about NATO's promise not to expand eastward, I think it would only be apropos to bring up the 1994 Budapest memorandum in which Russia was a signatory. Under the terms of the memorandum Ukraine agreed to give up their nukes in exchange for assurances respecting the independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine.

Now according to those terms Putin's decision to disregard Ukraine's sovereign boundaries with this current incursion is in direct violation of that memorandum.

And who is the current head with veto powers over the general assembly? The same one that vetoed sanctions against Russia for invading, this memorandum not withstanding? (at least I presume that wasnt brought up)

Yep Same thing will probably happen here.

Apparently Whatever country currently with somebody in the big boy chair can do pretty much anything they want during that time frame.

Step 1 Wait for your turn at bat.
    Step 2 Once in power, do bad things.
    Step 3 veto any resolutions attempting to punish you for those bad things.
    Step 4 profit.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    While we've been talking about NATO's promise not to expand eastward, I think it would only be fair to bring up the 1994 Budapest memorandum in which Russia was a signatory. Under the terms of the memorandum Ukraine agreed to give up their nukes in exchange for assurances respecting their independence and sovereignty and the existing borders of Ukraine.

I thought about that too and honestly I don't have much faith in things like that. Whenever there's a regime change, the new administration of any country conveniently ignores things their countries agreed to in the past. We're notorious for that whenever one party replaces the other in the White House. With that in mind, its no wonder a person like Putin would ignore memorandums he doesn't agree with, especially taken into mind he doesn't even believe the Ukrainian state should exist.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I thought about that too and honestly I don't have much faith in things like that. Whenever there's a regime change, the new administration of any country conveniently ignores things their countries agreed to in the past. We're notorious for that whenever one party replaces the other in the White House. With that in mind, its no wonder a person like Putin would ignore memorandums he doesn't agree with, especially taken into mind he doesn't even believe the Ukrainian state should exist.
    Hey if Putin wants to go all the way back before he was even in power to bring up a non-binding promise that he wants NATO to adhere to, which predates the Budapest memorandum btw, then he must also acknowledge a binding agreement that Russia was a signatory to. Can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

The lesson of the post Cold War era: Never ever give up your nukes in exchange for words.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Because if the convoy goes into the city, it can get chewed up.
    But if you leave it there, you can draw out a force trying to attack it.

You shift the odds in your favor.
    Well neither situation has materialized, so how long do you park? Maybe they're trying to break the Canadian record. Do the vehicles in the convoy have horns? ;)

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    How old are you?
    I only ask because I was a senior in high school when the wall fell in Germany.When I was in elementary school in Peterville Indiana the basement of the school was a fallout shelter,and we drilled for tornado's,but even that late in the cold war the shelter still had supplies(civil defense drums and loads of shelving full of things I had not clue about) and signs it was a fallout shelter.
    I remember the talks that led up to the soviet union accepting members leaving,and our agreement not to expand NATO.

We expanded NATO all the way to Russia already. Ukraine though is different as it puts missiles 6 minutes from Moscow,and Crimea was(even before the Soviet Union)home to the Russian black sea fleet.

Both sides had a buffers,expanding NATO eliminated it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom