• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Besides Gander, Carson Arms in Terre Haute was directly across the street from a high school. No gun cases were required there either. Rural King is just making up store policy and claiming it's the law. My issue isn't with their policy, but the fact that they claim it's legally mandated.

Contact the atf and ask them, I'm not saying what is and what isn't a crime, not sure where you got that from.

I could also contact the ATF and ask abound the legality of rail guns, but that doesn't mean I should. :rolleyes:

I have read the law and it really is a law that isn't a law. Look it up yourself.

That makes no sense.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It amazes me that no one will take a moment and educate the offender. I always read that someone cut and run on the situation. Wouldn't it be better for the community if we instead corrected this bad behavior?

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Besides Gander, Carson Arms in Terre Haute was directly across the street from a high school. No gun cases were required there either. Rural King is just making up store policy and claiming it's the law. My issue isn't with their policy, but the fact that they claim it's legally mandated.

I could also contact the ATF and ask abound the legality of rail guns, but that doesn't mean I should. :rolleyes:

That makes no sense.

The reason it makes no sense is because I agree with you. I never said I agreed with the law, all I was saying is this is what I was informed by the atf as well as rk main office so I can tell you for a fact that the atf informed them that this was the law, Rural King did not make this up. If you want to believe otherwise then so be it. Sorry I got your panties in a bunch. Have a good day my friend.

p.s. I have read the law and I agree it don't apply.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Guys like the jackwagon with the baby are why I constantly advocate for mandatory training, qualification, and re-qualification.

This is a guy that should NOT carry a gun, should not have a gun, and shouldn't have a kid, either.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Ya know that's the first thing I had to change when I started carrying, I'm not carrying my son in his car seat with my holstered pistol pointed at his head. I suppose it's a good idea to keep my strong hand free as well.

Ya know, all this time I've thought people killed people, not holstered guns killing people.

And going off all by themselves to boot.

I've been so ill informed.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    He should not own a gun or have reproduced.

Guys like the jackwagon with the baby are why I constantly advocate for mandatory training, qualification, and re-qualification.

This is a guy that should NOT carry a gun, should not have a gun, and shouldn't have a kid, either.

Not saying I disagree, but where does this fall in the whole "...shall not be infringed..." thing?!?

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    What should I have done. I just hightailed it away from this guy.

At at rural king getting plants for garden. I went to gun section because...well....because it's there. I was window shopping and saw a young kid open carrying a large holster with what looked like a mp9c of some sort in it. He was looking at holsters. As I was about to leave he brought his baby(in child carrier) over to counter and asked if they had any plastic holsters that would fit his gun. She said something and next thing I know he has pulled gun by 2 fingers out and jacked a loaded mag out of it. If he didn't muzzle sweep his baby he came damn close. At that point I didn't stay around to watch. I never heard a slide jacked open. He left a minute later as I checked out.

For all you gun grabbers rights deniers, just what did the "kid" in Rural King do wrong? I have read and re-read the original post, and NOWHERE do I see anything that says he did something wrong. Man goes shopping for a holster, takes his child along with him, and thru the expert testimony of the star witness, this kid is condemned.

According to the only version of the event available, a gun was drawn safely from a holster, then cleared, prior to trying it in a holster. A child was in the area.The OP did NOT see if the guy "swept" the baby, nor did he witness whether or not the chamber was cleared. On such flimsy, thin, 2nd hand information, a person is deprived of both his right to own and carry a firearm, and to have a family.

Some days, I am just so damned ashamed of this place.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    And the guy is probably a INGO member who knows all.

yeah...deff. the INGO type, probably has a lecture about the founding fathers at the ready had anybody said anything. Most likely owns one of these

large_concealed_carry_permit_badge_gold.jpg

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    According to the only version of the event available, a gun was drawn safely from a holster, then cleared, prior to trying it in a holster.

It's a farm store that happens to sell firearms accessories, not a gun store. You wanna go all "excuse me while I whip this out" then buy at a gun shop if they don't care. Otherwise just take it home and return it if you don't like it.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    For all you gun grabbers rights deniers, just what did the "kid" in Rural King do wrong? I have read and re-read the original post, and NOWHERE do I see anything that says he did something wrong. Man goes shopping for a holster, takes his child along with him, and thru the expert testimony of the star witness, this kid is condemned.

According to the only version of the event available, a gun was drawn safely from a holster, then cleared, prior to trying it in a holster. A child was in the area.The OP did NOT see if the guy "swept" the baby, nor did he witness whether or not the chamber was cleared. On such flimsy, thin, 2nd hand information, a person is deprived of both his right to own and carry a firearm, and to have a family.

Some days, I am just so damned ashamed of this place.

+1. Guilty of being an idiot until proven otherwise. By his own admission he did not know all the details but assumed he was doing it all wrong.

I can understand not saying anything, because some people don't take criticism from a stranger well, but to condemn him without sticking around to see what actually transpired is a bit much.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Many gunstores allow you to clear your weapon at the counter under supervision. If he swept someone or failed to clear the chamber then that's a problem. If I had to guess I'd say he probably doesn't carry with one in the hole so he assumed it was "safe" with the mag out. He should have cleared the chamber regardless. Of course the OP can't really say for sure that he didn't.

Its funny to me that we talk about Anti folks who think the gun is gonna go off on its own and start killing people and then we post stuff like this that implies the same thing. Let's look at the facts:

1. Gun owner looking for a better holster.
    2. Gun owner removes loaded magazine.
    3. Gun owner removes gun. No evidence of "muzzling" anyone.
    4. Gun owner may have cleared chamber. No evidence otherwise.

Yep, he is guilty. Let's crucify him.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    There are a lot of gun enthusiasts that are simply uneducated. If I witnessed something similar I don't know if I would leave or tried to give polite & unrequested advice on proper handling in public. If someone tells this individual that this is inappropriate who knows, they may be receptive to it. Either way they will remember.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Assume all guns are loaded(one of 4 rules for those that have never heard that). I don't care that he 'knew' there wasn't one in the chamber. If he didn't sweep his baby with the muzzle it was pointed in The kids close proximity. As far as ANY one is concerned that gun was loaded. He cleared the mag AFTER he swept his baby. Yes he may not have pointed it right at the kid but it was within a foot of the kid. That's why I put the clarifyer in the OP. He did NOT immediately follow it up with a chamber check. If he did it was MUCH after the mag drop. Until the chamber check that gun was still loaded.

There was nothing wrong with what he did until that gun left its holster.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Assume all guns are loaded

Why would anyone assume anything, you do know what does to you and the one you are referring to, don't you?

Once again lets temper our safety concerns with common sense, and not condemn someone for something they did when we were not even there. Being judge & jury with limited facts seems a little far fetched.

I'm getting more than a little sick of the "Zero Tolerance" society we try to make today.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom