• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Since the beginning of June I've been following a half marathon training plan for the Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon, which I ran today (sorry if you were caught in the traffic mess). The training plan said that if I followed it I should be able to run 1:52:28! That was a crazy number! I ran this same race last year in 2:10, and my previous personal record was 1:56 in May 2010 at the mini. But, I gave it a shot, and I've logged 485 miles since June 1. That's more than most non-runners will run a lifetime, I'm sure :)

Weather conditions this morning were about picture perfect for a race. Low 40's, partly cloudy, not much wind. This screenshot won't mean much to non-runners, but it impresses me.
    splits.jpg

Yes, I ran the race in 1:52:04! That's 24 seconds faster than my goal time, a 4 minute personal record, and an 18 minute improvement over last year.

Here I am after the race:
    IMG_3428.jpg

Just thought I'd share because I'm as pleased as a peach right now. Anyone else run today?

jimmythang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Nice work! You ran so others didn't have to! I need to run tomorrow but it will be slower and not near as far.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Congrats! As a runner I understand the screen shot. Excellent pacing and a kick for the finish! Well done!

I like that race. I really should do it again. I set my PR there.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    There was a 16 year old girl that ran the full marathon in 2:41, qualifying for the Olympic Trials. That is blazing fast!

And a 91 year old man that ran the half marathon in 3:35. Absolutely amazing. I'd be doing good to make it to 91, nevermind still being able to run half marathons!

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    If you sign up before the end of November you can save a few bucks for next year's race :)

I always hated running until I decided to try to get in shape about 5 years ago. I did my first 5k in June 2009 and the bug hasn't let me loose since, though my weight has yo-yo'd a bit during that time. This was my 7th half marathon, though just my first this year. I'm signed up to do the Carmel Marathon next April, but I'm thinking now that I'll just do the half. I wanna do one full marathon at some point, to say I did it and call myself a marathoner. It's just that running for 4 hours is such a long time! The half is much more approachable and less time consuming to train for.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you sign up before the end of November you can save a few bucks for next year's race :)

I always hated running until I decided to try to get in shape about 5 years ago. I did my first 5k in June 2009 and the bug hasn't let me loose since, though my weight has yo-yo'd a bit during that time. This was my 7th half marathon, though just my first this year. I'm signed up to do the Carmel Marathon next April, but I'm thinking now that I'll just do the half. I wanna do one full marathon at some point, to say I did it and call myself a marathoner. It's just that running for 4 hours is such a long time! The half is much more approachable and less time consuming to train for.

Do a full at least once. Then you can say you did it. I have done a few along with some other long distance endurance events.

However, the half has attributes that I like much better than the full. Shorter long runs, shorter race day and after a half I still have some day left to go to something else. Plus, fueling during both training runs and the race becomes more critical.

I can carry enough fuel to run 10 miles in training, but not 18-20.

Plus if you set a goal to always be in half marathon condition, it is a good way to live. You will be healthy without harming yourself physically or shirking your other "life" requirements.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I did a few trail runs over the past few months and had fun. I'd like to try more of those in the future. But those dang trail runners seem to enjoy those long races. I talked to a guy a couple weeks ago that was going to run the last 40 miles of a 100 mile race with one of his friends as a pacer. Both of those feats just sound nuts!

Normally after my long Saturday runs I am pretty well beat. Today wasn't nearly as bad for some reason, though I'm sure I'll sleep soundly tonight.

I do my long runs over the summer with Indy Runners and they put out water coolers along our routes on the Monon and Central Canal Towpath. I carry a small water bottle and refill at those coolers, then sip as I go. So the fueling isn't too big of a deal. I do have a hydration pack but the longest I've done with it is 11 miles (still had more water).

I am glad this training cycle is over, but I now have my eye on a 5k on Thanksgiving and would love to PR at that distance. I ran a time trial last weekend and would just need to knock 30 seconds off that.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Congrats
    Give the mud/adventure races a look. I did the Derby Triple Crown and swore I would never race that distance again. I switched over and started doing the mud runs and will never look back. I ran the Tough Mudder a few weeks ago it was 10.6 miles I believe and it was a blast. Breaks up the monotony of running and adds elements of teamwork. I signed up for another TM and The Super Spartan in April really looking forward to them.
    Check out the Mud Ninja, Tough Mudder and Spartan Series they are the best of the adventure races I have ran.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Thats awesome! Congrats!

Would love to do a half marathon one day. I just got to where 4 miles doesn't kill me anymore, so its time to step it up. Thanks for the motivation!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I've ran one marathon (Disney) and about two dozen half marathons. I broke 2:00 once. I was just happy to get to the line and when the gun went off get to the finish. About 20 seconds into the first race, I knew that I would never win. The only person I was competing against was myself.

Great job! Keep it up.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Yes, I ran the race in 1:52:04! That's 24 seconds faster than my goal time, a 4 minute personal record, and an 18 minute improvement over last year.

Kudos!!! I ran (ok, slow jogged, but never walked) my first 2 this year, times of 2:40:15 & 2:34:48. The first time I ran over 3 miles (in my life) was mid-June. Clocking under 2 hrs is great, sure makes all those early morning long runs pay off doesn't it? Great job.

PS, what program did you use?

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I've ran one marathon (Disney) and about two dozen half marathons. I broke 2:00 once. I was just happy to get to the line and when the gun went off get to the finish. About 20 seconds into the first race, I knew that I would never win. The only person I was competing against was myself.

Great job! Keep it up.

I compete with the guy in front of me! Last year I was injured in September / October and ended up taking it easy to a 2:10 finish, and knee pain in August had me worried and I even took a week off completely... so I was pleased to make it to the start feeling pretty good. You can see the patellar knee straps I was wearing in my picture... just in case. My knees felt pretty good.

Kudos!!! I ran (ok, slow jogged, but never walked) my first 2 this year, times of 2:40:15 & 2:34:48. The first time I ran over 3 miles (in my life) was mid-June. Clocking under 2 hrs is great, sure makes all those early morning long runs pay off doesn't it? Great job.

PS, what program did you use?

Getting in 2 halfs during your first year is awesome! I started the couch to 5k program in spring 2009 and did my first mini in May 2010.

I bought a training plan from Running Wizard. It's made by the guy that runs the logging site I use, Running Ahead. I gave it a recent 5k time and it spit out a semi-customized training plan based upon my then-current level of fitness and my race date. It predicted I could do a 1:52:28 half marathon, which was the goal I beat by 24 seconds. The plan is based upon the coaching of Arthur Lydiard and leads you through five distinct phases - aerobic base building, hills, anaerobic (involved some track intervals), coordination, and taper. I was running slower than I would have without a plan, but also running more miles. If you look at my log going back to June, you'll see very few miles logged near the 8:31 pace I ran for the race. I was very worried about that going in to the race, but it worked out quite well, obviously.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Nice job, I was just behind you with a 1:59:08. This was my second half, and was exactly one year after my doctor released me to resume normal activity after having my left ankle rebuilt (5 years after my right ankle rebuilt). I am doing Carmel full in April too, the half is a really nice race and the roads are much better than what they were between 6-9 of the half course this weekend LOL. Going to do the mini and trying to plan on Rock N Roll San Diego as well. Might work out to be able to do Montreal as well since I may be up there for school at the same time. Anyone looking for a program check out Hal Higdon. He's actually from or lives here in Indiana and he has several free programs for all levels of runner and all types of distance. They also don't beat you up. Good luck to all and don't be afraid to get in, I've always considered myself fit, I wrestled and grappled for a long time, did some kickboxing and other martial arts but never was a runner until almost 40.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Nice job, I was just behind you with a 1:59:08. This was my second half, and was exactly one year after my doctor released me to resume normal activity after having my left ankle rebuilt (5 years after my right ankle rebuilt). I am doing Carmel full in April too, the half is a really nice race and the roads are much better than what they were between 6-9 of the half course this weekend LOL. Going to do the mini and trying to plan on Rock N Roll San Diego as well. Might work out to be able to do Montreal as well since I may be up there for school at the same time. Anyone looking for a program check out Hal Higdon. He's actually from or lives here in Indiana and he has several free programs for all levels of runner and all types of distance. They also don't beat you up. Good luck to all and don't be afraid to get in, I've always considered myself fit, I wrestled and grappled for a long time, did some kickboxing and other martial arts but never was a runner until almost 40.

Just under 2, nice. Yea, Hal Higdon is from up north. I follow him on Twitter. I tried his novice marathon plan two years ago and ended up getting plantar fasciatis half way through. The reason I'm thinking I'll switch to the half at Carmel (did that the first year, the 8k the last two) is because of that GoRuck event a week later. That and I don't want to do 3 hour runs in January!

I've only traveled for one race - a half in Dublin, OH. It was after that race that the plantar fasciatis started up. I did that in 1:58 and HURT for several days afterwards. I have been sore since Saturday, but mostly feel fine today. Due to work / time, I probably won't get out to run until Friday morning though. I don't really have the cash flow to travel much, so I feel fortunate that there's enough races (4 halfs in the spring, 2 in the fall, that I know of, plus many trail races) in the Indy area to keep my occupied. I'd love to do a Disney marathon though, like lrahm has done.

Top Bottom