• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Just for your own peace of mind, although its not required by law, you might ask if they have an LTCH. If they do, then you know they've been checked out to be a "good guy". If I were doing a face-to-face in the Walmart parking lot, I would ask for an LTCH and a driver's license and make sure the info matches up, and check that the buyer is 18 or older. If they don't have an LTCH, you might consider using the services of an FFL for the transaction just to be sure you are selling to a good guy. Again, that is not a requirement for a private transaction, it just gives you the peace of mind of knowing you are selling to a "proper person".

Also, for a face to face transaction with a stranger, you might want to bring a friend along for safety.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    This is INCORRECT: You are correct if your purchasing from a LICENSED DEALER as they are bound by Federal regulations, however a PRIVATE Citizen (not a licensed dealer) may sell a handgun to any INDIANA RESIDENT 18 years of age or older.

The federal law states you can sell to any RESIDENT of the same state as you reside as long as you do not "KNOW OR HAVE REASONABLE CAUSE TO BELIEVE" that the person is not legally allowed to possess a firearm. Therefore if you view a valid INDIANA drivers license showing the person to be 18, and don't know or have a reasonable cause to believe that the person is not illegal to possess a gun, you have no liability to be concerned about. You are not required or asked to do any research on a persons background, in fact there is no way an individual can acquire the information from the NICS check.

I know of many people that purchase and possess firearm that do not have a LTCH, these include my own elder sisters and BIL and good friends that are exemplary persons. They possess firearms for hunting, targeting, home protection, etc. but do not carry for personal protection.

If I wanted to sell any of my collection, I personally would not require any more information than that required by law. It is everyone's option, however although I have my lifetime LTCH and also a FFL-03 (collector of Curio and Relics), I probably would not purchase a firearm from anyone that requires more information than the law requires. I really think we have far more "laws" and rules than necessary, in the recent tragedies it has been proven that none help prevent crime. In my opinion these rules and laws only hinder honest citizens from possess the right to protect themselves and raise the cost of firearm ownership. As a true supporter of the 2nd Amendment RIGHT, do not believe I or anyone else should add more!

A criminal or person not legal to possess a firearm certainly can obtain one through many channels, Theft, purchasing from other criminals, trading for drugs etc. so I don't believe concerns that require lawful citizens to "prove themselves" have any effect on criminal gun use.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^
    Follow the law, don't add to it, don't subtract from it.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    It has nothing to do with hiding from the federales. It has nothing to do with being off the grid. It simply has to do with gun owners adding hurdles that are not required by law. There is no requirement to have a LTCH to buy a long gun. Sorry if that raises your "red flags". But why have flag poles when big brother doesn't require. You probably think registration is ok too. I mean what does a law abiding citizen have to hide.

Not trying to make an argument about this but I think your missing what I was saying. By checking (Not recording) your info I can make a reasonable effort to make sure your not a felon or ex-felon. There are no guarantees with this but its an effort you see? Why is this unreasonable?
    And no, I do not believe in registration. And ive done transactions with several law-abiding INGOers who had nothing to hide and walked away unscathed.

StuBob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Funny that a bunch of people who are so uptight about infringements on their rights will put up artificial barriers to gun sales. Perhaps it makes us feel more bada$$ that we're selling something so exclusive and dangerous that we meet in remote corners of parking lots and check ID's. I've sold two guns on INGO in the past week. FTF, cash. No checking ID's because I can't spot a fake. No checking LTCH because it's irrelevant. The important phrase is "cause to believe." If I show up for the sale and the guy doesn't give me cause to believe he's a criminal, there's no reason to believe he's a criminal, and no reason to withhold the sale.

That said, it's good to check the other guy's feedback on INGO. It's probably more reliable than a NICS check.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Funny that a bunch of people who are so uptight about infringements on their rights will put up artificial barriers to gun sales. Perhaps it makes us feel more bada$$ that we're selling something so exclusive and dangerous that we meet in remote corners of parking lots and check ID's. I've sold two guns on INGO in the past week. FTF, cash. No checking ID's because I can't spot a fake. No checking LTCH because it's irrelevant. The important phrase is "cause to believe." If I show up for the sale and the guy doesn't give me cause to believe he's a criminal, there's no reason to believe he's a criminal, and no reason to withhold the sale.

That said, it's good to check the other guy's feedback on INGO. It's probably more reliable than a NICS check.

There are pretty severe penalties that could be laid against one for selling to a known prohibited person though. That flat out scares some people.

I ask 2 questions, are you a proper person and do you live in Indiana?

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There are pretty severe penalties that could be laid against one for selling to a known prohibited person though. That flat out scares some people.

I ask 2 questions, are you a proper person and do you live in Indiana?

FIFY. Look it up - even in a BATFE sting they couldn't make the arrest without being able to prove knowledge.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Exactly.

The same people asking for Larry's and DL here are the same people who decry MO's (former) use of a handgun ownership license and IL's FOID. Oh, sweet irony.

Hey y'all - what if I don't WANT to carry and get a Larry? Won't sell to me?

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.

zu49e0.jpg

If I show up for the sale and the guy doesn't give me cause to believe he's a criminal, there's no reason to believe he's a criminal, and no reason to withhold the sale.

Lot of people probably felt the same way about this guy too...........just saying.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    zu49e0.jpg

If I show up for the sale and the guy doesn't give me cause to believe he's a criminal, there's no reason to believe he's a criminal, and no reason to withhold the sale.

Lot of people probably felt the same way about this guy too...........just saying.
    Qui?

Are you arguing for UBC's? Because they don't physically take away your Larry...

Top Bottom