• ...and so much more!
  • bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    I had the opportunity to take my new Ruger SR9c back to Atterbury Saturday as well as a short trip today. I have now put 275 rounds down range with it and thought I would give an update. I had put one 50 round box of 115 gr. Federal American Eagles through it last weekend when I first purchased it. I have put a couple hundred rounds of 115 gr. Remington UMC and 25 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P as well. I have not experienced any malfunctions thus far.

IMG_20100911_190140.jpg

IMG_20100911_185903.jpg

I'm not overly proud of the pics below, but I'm starting to get the feel for it. I realize many of you can do much better. I'm sure I will improve with more time and practice with this gun. I posted them so you could get an idea of where I'm at currently. The gun seems accurate when I do my part. I'm still getting used to the shorter barrel. The three dot sights are fine. Nothing to brag about. The trigger has very little travel and breaks clean.

Yellow circles are 3" diameter:
    IMG_20100918_182641.jpg

IMG_20100918_181004.jpg

Recoil is very mild which makes it very easy for follow-up shots. Even the 124 gr. +P ammo. I did have problems with the Gold Dots as far as POI. I really need to pick up some more and do some practice to figure out how they shoot or what I need to adjust. I guess part of the issue may be the weight difference as well as the added pressures that I need to address. They shot consistently high. That target is not displayed in this thread. I may simply need to back down to standard pressure 9mm SD ammo or try some 115 gr. SD ammo and see if I get same results. Someone mentioned in another one of my threads that their SR9 preferred 115 gr. ammo.

I have cleaned and lubed this three times now applying a coat of Eezox and Tetra grease to all contact areas. I have applied Tetra grease the the slide and rails each time as well. I can already tell a huge difference in the pistol from the first time out through the third. I hope it will only keep getting better.

One thing I should note for current and new SR9 owners is to make sure you clean your striker and striker channel. There are detail videos on Ruger's website that will show you how to disassemble the striker assembly. It's easy! Mine had a lot of crud in it. I cleaned and coated everything with Eezox for protection. Runs like a champ! Here is the link to the vidoes: Ruger Videos

One feature that is kind of odd IMO is that this pistol has a slide stop and not a slide release according to Ruger. There is a lot of debate about this on the web. Some people can use the slide stop as a release and some can't. I can't. I slingshot release anyway so this is a non-issue for me.

Ergonomics of this pistol are fantastic IMO. Point is very natural. The grip has progressively tapered areas near the trigger guard. This makes the grip feel very comfortable and natural.

The pistol comes with a 10 round and full-size 17 round magazines. The 10 rounder has a pinky extension installed, but comes with a flat plate if you would like to change it out as well. I really like the pinky extension. It allows me to get a comfortable full grip on the pistol without any dangling fingers. The 17 round mag comes with a spacer the fills the gap between the compact grip and the full-size mag. It makes the pistol feel just like a full-size weapon. Pretty cool to have 28 rounds of SD ammo on you between the two mags.

With spare 17 round mag and spacer:
    IMG_20100919_193812.jpg

The chambered round indicator turned out to be very nice. I first thought this was rather hokey. A red flag indicator raises up when a round is chambered. It leaves NO doubt. I can see this being helpful if you use this as a night stand gun that you don't handle very often or when handling in the dark.

IMG_20100919_193709.jpg

IMG_20100919_193716.jpg

Overall I am extremely pleased with the gun. Very comfortable, light, more accurate than I am, ample safety features, and the price is right IMO ($419). The pistol is also very thin compared to my M&P. Should make an excellent EDC. Should be very easy to conceal. I have a new Kholster on the way to prove it out. I would not hesitate recommending this gun to anyone interested. :yesway:

Here is the link for the SR9c at Ruger's site for those of you who are interested:

Ruger® SR9c? Compact Centerfire Pistols

:)

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Something to note is that the SR9c has sights that are adjustable for elevation. If you want to use the Gold Dots as carry ammo, simply adjust the rear sight for a proper zero.

Nice range report, thanks!

bogus

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Columbus area
    Something to note is that the SR9c has sights that are adjustable for elevation. If you want to use the Gold Dots as carry ammo, simply adjust the rear sight for a proper zero.

Nice range report, thanks!

Yes! Absolutely. I should have mentioned that they are adjustable for both windage and elevation in my report. Thank you!

Last edited:

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Thanks for the report! I'd have already picked one up, but I'm pretty happy with my CC pistols right now.

I wouldn't worry to much about your shooting either; looks to me to some pretty good minute of bad guy shooting that I'm sure will shrink some as you get used to the pistol.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    The only thing I will say is make sure she racks the slide a few times before you buy. The spring on the SR9c is STIFF, too stiff for her. Her G19 is worked with no problems though.

I appreciate the heads up, it is really up to her but I have been putting together a list of 9mm pistols that fit into her purse.

Top Bottom