• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    So who has this firearm and what do you think? What is the trigger pull? It seems to break well and being striker I like. Looking to carry it and seems a better option than my PX45 Beretta. So I am asking the guys who own one what do you think?

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Hmm, I have an SR9c, an SR40 and a 9E which is just a full sized SR9 without the safety chamber loaded flag and other differences and I haven't any complaints nor do I get bit racking the slide. I find that a lot of Ruger products are looked at as though they are cheap and never as good as other popular brands but I don't see it. Many feel that you have to pay more to get the best and I don;t see that either.

Personally I am very happy with the SR series pistols I own and will eventually get myself the SR45. Until then I will carry and keep my P345 which I must agre is one of the most accurate and best shooting 1911-like pistols I have ever shot. They never should habe discontinued it.

So the answer to the OP's question is that I would get it and carry it. If you can dry fire it, do so to see if you like the trigger (I am sure you will as I like the rest of the SRs). The decide and if you like it get it as I am also sure it will be a winner. I plan on getting mself one as soon as I can save up.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I have one. It is pretty accurate and I think manages recoil of 45 well. But with that said, I have found I lean towards heavier steel handguns (1911s mostly). Mine has been in my safe for last 9 months and has not been fired. Just not my go-to gun. Never carried it so can't say much about that pleasure. Do know it was hard to find holsters for, at least when I first bought it 2 yrs ago. May be easier now. I do think it is a nice gun, especially for the price you can get them for.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    There are holsters now. Ruger shows and sell a few at ShipRuger plus there are bpth a Fobus and a Serpa for it too if you like that kind of holster.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    As mention in the OP I really like what I have but the crazy DC on the thing drives me crazy. The trigger pull is great on the SR and the magazine disconnect safety is an easy enough thing to remedy. Thanks for the input.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've EDC'ed a full size SR9 for about a year and a half now, and have just recently switched over to the SR45. I took the NRA basic handgun course this last Saturday, and used the SR45. It performed great! I've put about 600 rounds through it flawlessly, and finally found an OWB holster I liked for it, so I'm going on week 3 of carrying it everywhere I go while not at work (I pocket carry a smaller 45 there). I was using a Bianchi Evader holster, because I really like the carry-loc feature, but the holster itself just kinda sucked, so I found a Bulldog molded leather holster that, so far, I really like. Trigger pull is fantastic on my SR45, light to light/medium, and the gun has been as accurate as I can be with it. I love mine, absolutely love it. Have not been bit by the slide on it, either, nor have I been with the full size SR9

I've carried a lot of different guns over the last 30 years, from Glock 17s, 1911's, revolvers, even occasionally a single action revolver, and the SR45 ranks up near the top in carry guns that make me smile. It's a joy to shoot.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Mine shoots very well. Safe to dry fire without damage to the striker if a magazine is inserted or the magazine disconnect (striker block) is removed. The only carry gun I like better is a 1911; only because it fits my hand better and has a narrower profile.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I handle them alot at my work and to be honest I don't care for them nor does anyone I work with. It seems the 'SR' series are all poorly made. When you rack the slide it seems to bite your palm with the positioning of the thumb safety, has made me bleed before pretty badly. I do like Ruger and love my LCP and 10/22 but their 'SR' series pistols are their downside.

Just my 2 cents

ACTUALLY, the SR models are their strong suit. The LCP is the "lesser" model (FTE).

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I handle them alot at my work and to be honest I don't care for them nor does anyone I work with. It seems the 'SR' series are all poorly made. When you rack the slide it seems to bite your palm with the positioning of the thumb safety, has made me bleed before pretty badly. I do like Ruger and love my LCP and 10/22 but their 'SR' series pistols are their downside.

Just my 2 cents

I call FUD on this. I've never handled an SR45, but I own 2 SR9Cs and have handled an SR40C. The SR9C is my EDC, and is an absolutely phenomenal pistol. Perhaps the SR45 has issues, but even if so, those issues wouldn't be reason to castigate the entire SR series.

I've put thousands of rounds through the SR9C, and have never cut myself on the slide.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I must agree, I have a 9E (which is an SR9 without some of the SR9's safeties), SR9c, and an SR40 and never had a single bit of trouble nor do they feel or act like a cheap piece. Rather they are more a quality firearm that is as solid as any Ruger with a nice, striker fired trigger set up. I too have put thousands of rounds through these pistols and I carried my 9E all summer. I change to a revolver, an SP-101 357 mag in the winter because that is wht I have aways done.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    :yesway: here on the SR series. I own the SR9 and SR9c and am actually in the market for an SR45. These are the only two handguns I've owned that are 100% ALL OF THE TIME. Love the SR series.

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I liked the SR45 and had one but moved on to better guns. I have considered getting another used if I can find it. They are accurate but I think to big to carry.I have a Star Firestar 9mm that is smaller I carry concealed but weighs a lot more then the SR45 due to it being a steel frame.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    ACTUALLY, the SR models are their strong suit. The LCP is the "lesser" model (FTE).

If you're having FTE out of the LCP chances are you're limp wristing the gun.

For what the LCP is, it's very well made. I've shot the Taurus TCP, Kel-Tec p3at, Sig 238, Ruger LCP, and S&W Bodyguard. My obvious choice would be sig but it's a little more than I want to spend on a pocket gun. The TCP has a nice trigger but practically no sights, I hate the p3at, I owned and carried the LCP for over a year and never had an issue, only reason I sold it and went with the bodyguard was the sights on the bodyguard are much better, trigger is smoother, and the grip fits me better

Top Bottom