• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Not having any luck finding a good used S&W Mod 10 heavy barrel, or a Mod 13. Would really like a 3 in barrel, but that might be next to impossible to find. So, I am thinking of getting a Ruger SP101 instead. This will not be a pocket gun, but I just love short-barreled revolvers. This will be shot alot, so I am asking those who have one to let me know how you like it. Found one new, locally for around $500, but can't convince myself I need one !

bglaze

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Muncie, IN
    A 3" SP-101 is an excellent choice! I've owned mine now for about 3 weeks, and I couldn't be happier. I shopped around and found at least three 2 1/4" models at at the Indy 1500 for $450 new, but I didn't see a single 3" model at the entire show. I left without buying one, because I wanted the 3"... So, I went to my local shop, and he had new 3" SP-101s at $510. It isn't a "good" price per se, but it was fair enough for me to go ahead and make the purchase. I haven't had even the slightest bit of buyer's remorse. I don't think you will either.

I ordered a set of Badger grips for it, and they came in this week. Here are some pics of it:

sp101_badger1_nosn.jpg

sp101_badger2_nosn.jpg

Be sure to post pics when you get yours!

Oh, and I've shot mine, and it shoots like a dream! 158gr Magnums were very comfortable to shoot!

Also, I found the trigger a bit sharp on the edges, so I took it out and smoothed out the corners. Here is a picture of that:

sp101_trigger.jpg

Brock

Last edited:

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County

This is my Ruger Police Service-Six .357 Magnum 2 1/2" and it is an awesome piece. I seen one at the 1500 here a few weeks ago going for $400, shop around and you'll find something that is for you! It will be callin' your name! PLUS it has SIX Rds!!! the older ones are cooler!

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Beech Grove, IN
    Not having any luck finding a good used S&W Mod 10 heavy barrel, or a Mod 13. Would really like a 3 in barrel, but that might be next to impossible to find. So, I am thinking of getting a Ruger SP101 instead. This will not be a pocket gun, but I just love short-barreled revolvers. This will be shot alot, so I am asking those who have one to let me know how you like it. Found one new, locally for around $500, but can't convince myself I need one !

New should run you around $439.00. Shop around

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My guy in New Haven (Shooters) sells them for around $479 + tax (NIB)! I bought my first SP101 (2.25") from him in December of 1994 and still have it...it's my 'go to' piece for comfort, reliability, and accuracy. I've owned more than 50 handguns in the past 20 years and I still have this one (see Avatar) along with my very first gun, a Ruger Single-Six (in .22LR & .22 mag)...everything else has been traded out and back.

One advantage of the SP101 is that the front sight is 'pinned' in rather than machined on like Smith's, Taurus's etc...allowing you to swap it out for a Meprolight Front Night sight...which can be purchased from Gun Parts | Gun Supplies | Gun Accessories for around $50...and you can do the work yourself. The gun is built like a tank and will absorb anything you can put through it (including some Black Talons which I still have from the early '90s.)

Mine (see Avatar) now sports a Badger Custom Boot Grip and a Meprolight Front Night Sight...I carry it RH / OWB, LH/Crossdraw, Ankle, Pouch, coat pocket, etc...another great grip you might consider is a Trausch Grip (www.trausch.com) ...my wife has this grip on her SP101 in .38+P and loves it!

I do want a 3" version for RH/OWB carry in the winter...but the 2.25" version is still more than sufficient and is very accurate. :D

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Very nice revolvers. I carried one for several years. A little heavy, but accurate, reliable, and strong.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

sp101_badger2_nosn.jpg

Brock

Those grips are a beauty! :yesway:

Wife has the 2 1/2 spurless model.
    Very solid in the hand.

OP shop a little and do some calling around, remember if it's a better deal
    farther away it might not be worth the extra drive time and additional gas
    to you to just break even. YMMV.
    You can't go wrong with the Ruger any way you slice it.

jjhu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    This is a great gun to shoot, I got mine at the Jan. 1500 for $420 so like others have said maybe shop around a bit more for a better price. I got a set of Houge grips, just the rubber ones (can't afford the wood grips right now) but it shoots really well with those. Just one of those guns that will put a smile on your face after shooting it:rockwoot:

Boz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Muncie
    I love my Ruger SP101 3". $500 may be a tad high, but I would personally pay it if it's from a local shop. I prefer to support local businesses when I can. You can certainly find them cheaper on the internet, but then you have to pay shipping and FFL transfer fee at which point the local shop price may actually be better.

When you do get it, shoot the H*LL out of it. The SP101 can eat hot magnums ALL DAY and ask for more! Try that with a compact-sized S&W (and I really, really like S&W's).

S&W's are top dog IMO as far as fit, finish, and trigger pull. However, Ruger makes the strongest revolvers on the planet. My :twocents:

Top Bottom