• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Just a question about recoil,picked up a sp101 2.25'' .357mag could not get any reasonalbly priced 357 so was just using 38spl +p 125 jhp until today, then i found some PMC. 357 MAG 125JHP i was expecting more recoil but it was pretty tame .If i go to a heavier bullet will felt recoil dramaticaly increase ?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I have that gun. Of course the heavier loads rock a bit more. I have shot some very hot loads in mine without pain or suffering, including some meant for bear hunting from a .357 magnum rifle. With the stock rubber grips I have found it very manageable, no matter what I shoot from it.

The soft grips take the sting right out so that heavy magnum loads feel about like .38 special loads from a gun with solid grips. Feels good to me anyway.

1911Shooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Pendleton, IN
    I wouldn't think it would dramatically. It should continue to be pretty tame. The 357 doesn't really have a ton of recoil and that's a great benefit considering it does pack a punch on the other end. Congrats on your new purchase also and good luck.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I have a sp101 and in my opinion for a 5 shot snub its pretty pleasant. My shooting buddy has a Smith scandium lightweight 357 that is downright unpleasant to shoot.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a 2 1/4 " SP101. It's my EDC. I shoot a lot of 158 gr 38 special ammo out of it because that is what I usually find the cheapest at the 1500. I've also shot 158 gr 357 mag ammo. It's a bit more of a hand jerk but it isn't painful to shoot.

I thought the stock grips were ugly especially with the plain grip pin in them. I even bought the custom wood inserts and they just looked dated with the ugly grips. I changed mine to the Hogue grips. I like them a lot better and it looks nicer on the gun.

Last edited:

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    Thanks for the info,after hearing some horror stories about people wanting new grips for the sp101 i was expecting recoil to be like someone hitting my hand with a pallpeen hammer .I remember going with a buddy who just bought a 44mag Contender the first shot the forearm came off after putting it back on i shot it an it felt like someone took a 4lb beater and hit me in my palm ,needless to say we didn't go thru to much ammo.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I have a 2 1/4 " SP101. It's my EDC. I shoot a lot of 158 gr 38 special ammo out of it because that is what I usually find the cheapest at the 1500. I've also shot 158 gr 357 mag ammo. It's a bit more of a hand jerk but it isn't painful to shoot.

I thought the stock grips were ugly especially with the plain grip pin in them. I even bought the custom wood inserts and they just looked dated with the ugly grips. I changed mine to the Hogue grips. I like them a lot better and it looks nicer on the gun.

I second the Hogue grips on an SP101. Makes it much more controlable. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom