• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Big, klunky, kinda ugly, with a lousy DA trigger. But also reliable, durable and inexpensive.

Same holds true for pretty much the entire P Series.

Can't add much more to this, except the following:

It's also a tank.

The trigger is, well, to each his own. Cock the hammer first and the trigger is great! If you don't have a lot of other guns to compare the trigger to, then you won't mind if it's "terrible". :D

Anything in the P series is generally regarded as a good, all around gun.

I have 2 of the P series and am also considering buying a P90 myself.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    "The P series are the cast iron skillet of semi auto handguns" according to my brother.

They are useful even when empty due to their weight and durability.

Buckaroo

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    I've never owned a P90, but I used to have a P94, the .40 caliber brother to the P90. The DA trigger was not bad at all, and single action was nice. Felt good in the hand, recoil was mild. The Ruger P series are good, durable guns. A bit thick for concealed carry, but excellent range, home defense, or general purpose knockaround pistols. I'll be getting a P94 again one day, I miss mine. Never had any problems out of mine, they have a pretty good reputation for reliability. Built tough, will last a lifetime. Magazines are not too expensive, and generally available. As they are usually less expensive than the polymer wonders, they are a great deal for a reliable, no-nonsense handgun.

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    The P90 was my first handgun at 18. The gun would run all day long and is tough. I had the version with the safety and decock. Accurate enough for social work, would take a beating and would eat anything you fed it. Back in the day mags were hard to come by, I have no idea if that has changed.

Massad Ayoob had a fondness for them, as he carried one as a duty gun at one time.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    never owned a P90 but I do own a P95 which I carried for a few years. it is big and clunky and bit ugly like posted above but to me its like the AK of the handgun world...very durable/reliable,shoots great and being that I dont have much experience with "higher end" handguns the trigger doesnt bother me at all. great guns for the money.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    never owned a P90 but I do own a P95 which I carried for a few years. it is big and clunky and bit ugly like posted above but to me its like the AK of the handgun world...very durable/reliable,shoots great and being that I dont have much experience with "higher end" handguns the trigger doesnt bother me at all. great guns for the money.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but for a DA/SA gun, I've felt a lot worse triggers on Sigs and especially HKs. In every HK DA/SA pistol that I've picked up the DA pull was horrendous. Although the Ruger DA triggers are a tad heavy, I've found them to be smooth and easy to operate. This obviously applies only to the DA/SA models, the Sig DAK and HK LEM triggers are very nice.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've never owned the P90, but have owned the P89 and I agree with the others. The P series from Ruger are tough and reliable. From my understanding they were first designed by Ruger for the Military to compete in the tryouts (when the military MISTAKENLY decide to go away from the 1911 models :D). Not sure but I believe Ruger didn't get done with them in time (someone chime in if I'm mistaken about this), so they were engineered to take a beating and keep on ticking.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    From my understanding they were first designed by Ruger for the Military to compete in the tryouts (when the military MISTAKENLY decide to go away from the 1911 models :D). Not sure but I believe Ruger didn't get done with them in time (someone chime in if I'm mistaken about this)

From Wikipedia:

The P85 was developed in 1985 but did not reach the market until 1987. This pistol used an investment cast aluminum frame and made extensive use of investment-cast parts and proprietary Ruger alloys. Nearly all internal parts, including the barrel, were stainless steel, while the slide and ejector were carbon steel. Disassembly was simple and the P85 was originally intended to compete as a 9mm replacement for the US Army's Model 1911A1. Unfortunately, development had not progressed significantly and the Army chose the Beretta M9. The P85 met the basic requirements being chambered for the NATO standard 9x19mm and was designed to handle high velocity ammunition commonly used by the military.

IIRC, the P85 did compete in the M11 trials, which were won by the SIG P228.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    From Wikipedia:

The P85 was developed in 1985 but did not reach the market until 1987. This pistol used an investment cast aluminum frame and made extensive use of investment-cast parts and proprietary Ruger alloys. Nearly all internal parts, including the barrel, were stainless steel, while the slide and ejector were carbon steel. Disassembly was simple and the P85 was originally intended to compete as a 9mm replacement for the US Army's Model 1911A1. Unfortunately, development had not progressed significantly and the Army chose the Beretta M9. The P85 met the basic requirements being chambered for the NATO standard 9x19mm and was designed to handle high velocity ammunition commonly used by the military.

IIRC, the P85 did compete in the M11 trials, which were won by the SIG P228.

Thanks for clarifying. :yesway:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Anything by Ruger is probably over-built and will still be going strong well after your grandchildern pass it on. I've never had one but would like to buy on some day. The steel P series Ruger is like my 639 S&W. Heavy, strong and dependable. That weight makes them perfect for bowling pins or steel shooting. Weight absorbs recoil as does that big grip. Go ahead and feed it your hot hand-loads, you can still get a fast follow-up shot 'cause the muzzle doesn't move much. I've carried my 639 but it does require a ghood holster and a big stiff belt. Enjoy it for what it is.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Had one. Sold it to make room for something else.
    Yes it was large but durable. It did feed anything I gave it
    including pretty flat faced HP ammo.
    It would make a great home/night stand gun. Get a good belt
    rig for carry because it will pull your britches down.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Thanks all for the info! I sure do love those Rugers! And just for the reasons stated-durable and reliable. Got almost every revolver, still missing a SRH and a Single Six, but might have to pick up a P90 before I complete that collection...

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I've never owned a P90, but I used to have a P94, the .40 caliber brother to the P90. The DA trigger was not bad at all, and single action was nice. Felt good in the hand, recoil was mild. The Ruger P series are good, durable guns. A bit thick for concealed carry, but excellent range, home defense, or general purpose knockaround pistols. I'll be getting a P94 again one day, I miss mine. Never had any problems out of mine, they have a pretty good reputation for reliability. Built tough, will last a lifetime. Magazines are not too expensive, and generally available. As they are usually less expensive than the polymer wonders, they are a great deal for a reliable, no-nonsense handgun.
    My P85 is about the same. I don't mind the stiffer trigger because that's what I like. It's been my dependable camping gun for years...and there's still not a scratch on it. Shoot it, clean it and wipe it down and it will last a lifetime. I can dot a fly's :moon: with it...and when you run out of bullets...it could easily double as a skull splitter. :D I would like to see it in a set of Hogue wrap arounds...but everytime I go to the gun shop I forget to pick up a set.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I like Rugers P-series autos...

But, just ONCE before I die, I would like to read a Ruger thread without the phrase "its a tank" regurgitated for the sake of tradition. Catch phrases like that drive me nuts. :D

Top Bottom