• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Buy the gun you want, and learn how to dis-assembly the gun you have. Either pistol is "easy" in every area of maint. It's easier to change out the guide/spring assembly in the Ruger than the Buckmark for example. I own both and the only reason I completely dis-assembled either pistol was for part replacement.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Ruger has a video on how to disassemble and reassemble that is very good. Shot mine for the first time today. It's very accurate and easy to shoot. My vote is for the 22/45 target.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Buckmark all the way. Mark I and II Rugers are easy to completely take apart, Mark IIIs and 22/45s are a PITA in my experience (Mainspring housing and hammer spur not going together right and seizing)

But......Buckmarks hardly ever need fully taken apart. I've actually put almost 2900 rounds through my Buckmark since the last time I bothered to clean it (that includes running so much as a bore snake through it). It's dirty, but it keeps trucking along.

So, Rugers (Mark I and II) are easier to take apart, but Buckmarks you don't have to fully take apart (and aren't that hard anyway). Take the 2 screws out on the top, remove the sight, take the recoil spring out, the slide, pop the barrel off, and take the grips off and watch where the bars and springs go. Flush the main assembly with foaming bore cleaner then spray out.

As for Rugers being more accurate, I sold my uncle on the Buckmark last weekend. 65 yards hitting a 6x6 round steel plate 90%+ of the time, off hand, using cheap ammo. It felt better for him too. He even tried shooting at that distance and managed to whack it a good 50% of the time. Aiming right at the bottom of the target.

Rugers are more classic looking (hell, they've been around since 49), but Buckmarks are solid and don't need babying.

Jpfledderer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Westside
    I have a new Mark iii 22-45 with all Volquartsen Mark ii parts inside. Taking it apart to clean is fairly easy. Putting it back together takes a while to learn the "trick" while installing the main spring. Take some time and watch a few videos online. :rockwoot:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Buckmarks are solid and don't need babying.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the Buckmarks are solid, but you seem to imply that the Ruger MK series are "not solid" and need babying. If the MK series are know for anything, it's that they'll run forever with little to no maintenance.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Once you do it a few times, nothing to it ... I take mine apart after EVERY range session, and put it back together, NO PROBLEM ....

Exactly its easy after the first couple times.Guess im lazy they get wiped down barrel cleaned with a patch and sprayed with remoil every trip but i don't fully break down my 22 range guns, they will just be back out in a couple days.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If it was the hex screws on the top, there are supposed to be nice little conical lock washers in there to prevent those screws from coming loose.

It was the top screw towards the rear and no matter what I tried it always seemed to work loose. Otherwise, the buckmark really was a great gun. Now that I have my mark III target though I just can't see myself ever going back. I'm so happy with my mark III that I think it'll be one of the few guns that I hang on to for life.

Bisbobble

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Carmel/Zionsville
    I was trying to make the same decision a week or so ago. Went with the Mark III. Shot very well. Took it apart last night and cleaned it. A little patience and reread the instructions and it was back together in a few minutes.

I decided to spend a little less and use the money on other gun hardware.

KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    Ruger has a video on how to disassemble and reassemble that is very good. Shot mine for the first time today. It's very accurate and easy to shoot. My vote is for the 22/45 target.
    That's the one I ended up getting! Feels a little rougher than the Buckmark, but it was almost $100 less. That's a 100 I'd rather spend on ammo :) Hopefully my cliploader gets delivered by the weekend, and then it's playtime!

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I'm not disagreeing with you that the Buckmarks are solid, but you seem to imply that the Ruger MK series are "not solid" and need babying. If the MK series are know for anything, it's that they'll run forever with little to no maintenance.

I'm not implying that they aren't solid. The Rugers have been around for 62 years or so, so they've proven their reliability.

But, if you're running thousands upon thousands of cheap ammo without cleaning it, I'd go a Buckmark over a Ruger any day just because the way they are designed.

Rugers are more, contained, while Buckmarks are more open. For some reason I picture Rugers like ARs and the old saying about them, "they crap where they eat" (I have nothing against ARs by the way), while I imagine Buckmarks like AKs, a lot more open room for crud to naturally fly out or at least store without messing with the reliability.

But, most people don't run a 2 cases of ammo through a gun without cleaning it. So, between the Rugers and Browning it comes down to feel. Both are proven and are extremely reliable. I'm just partial to Buckmarks but unfortunately I don't have any links to tests to back up my opinionation :n00b:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    That's the one I ended up getting! Feels a little rougher than the Buckmark, but it was almost $100 less. That's a 100 I'd rather spend on ammo :) Hopefully my cliploader gets delivered by the weekend, and then it's playtime!
    I MAY be going to shoot, Sat., the 31st... Let me know if you want to come along !!!!!

Rollerman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Goshen
    I'm gonna say Buckmark.

I can remember buying a Mark II target model about 10 years ago.
    The gun shop at the time had the S&W 22A & the Mark II...I thought the S&S felt cheap & liked the looks & feel of the Ruger better.

That said I never cared for the trigger on the Mark II, the magazine catch was a PITA, breaking the gun down was a PITA...so I sold it & havn't missed it.

I now own a S&W 22S & an 80ies era Buckmark.
    Both are accurate, easy to use, clean, & feed nearly anything I put through them.

If I were to shoot competively I'd probably look into a Mark III...lot's of stuff available for them.
    For plinking, fun shooting, pest control I'll stick with my S&W 22S & or Buckmark.

Top Bottom