• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KW12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2012
    Northside Indy
    I've read good things about both, but more so about Buckmark. Was pretty set on getting one until I saw youtube disassembly videos. So seems like buckmark would be a pain to take apart and clean, and definitely not doable at the range. Or is this not much of an issue?

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have both and would rather take the buckmark apart with tools. Then the ruger without tools any day. Both are great guns and very good shooters, but the ruger is a pain to take apart.

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    FWIW, I used to have a Smith & Wesson 22A. That thing shot like a champ, and was really easy to clean. From what I understand, they use the same machine do the barrels on the Model 22 and the Model 41 (their high end target gun). I'll admit, it's not the prettiest gun though, even with the wood grips.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The Ruger stuff is usually easy, but I've seen a couple of new 22/45's that were a little tricky at first. If one has a Ruger with a slightly short hammer strut then they'll quickly learn to hold it right, up until the mainspring housing catches it (on some it's dang near at closed).

If you miss the catch, and it won't come back apart..........wiggle it repeatedly, and it'll eventually "pop" loose. Might take a minute of constant wiggle to max either direction to get it to go........but it should.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Haven't taken my new 22/45 apart yet. But I think the biggest problem right now with any Ruger is you can't hardly get any now they are overwhelmed with orders and have suspended taking new orders till the middle of May! My target model I just bought a the 1500 was the only one of it's kind there (Blued). I saw some fluted stainless models and a couple with threaded barrels. but over all the amount of Rugers were down. Probably because they are selling them faster than they can make them. The LCR and LCP's plus the new Gunsite Scout Rifle are extremely popular. I wish I was working at their plant I'll bet there is plenty of overtime available. Just not sure I'd want to live that close to Massachusetts!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I have multiple of both. The Buckmarks are easier to strip and the ergonomics are better.

There are more aftermarket parts for the Ruger. I put a Volquartsen target trigger and extractor in one of mine.

The Buckmark feels better to me, but I shoot the Ruger better. But you really can't go wrong with either.

agentdw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I also have both, the Buckmark is easy to strip and clean. My Mark III is more acurate. Both are very good quality. I dont think you would go wrong with either.

My :twocents:

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Taking them apart is about a draw. Buckmark has more small parts that you could lose and the Ruger will be harder to put back together.

However, the Ruger has more aftermarket parts available. And if you get into serious target shooting or hunting, that matters.

If the difference in grip angle is not an issue, then the Ruger is probably a better choice....and I have a Buckmark. Though it was a gift so I did not "choose" it in the traditional sense.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    Id save money and take the ruger. It might be slightly harder to clean the first few times but really how often do you need to fully strip it down.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've owned both and I'd vote ruger every time. Both are accurate, both are reliable, but my buck mark had screws that would keep working loose. Nothing works itself loose on the ruger. They really aren't that hard to take apart and if you don't like to just spray it with a carbine cleaner and watch all the dirt and junk get flushed out.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Id save money and take the ruger. It might be slightly harder to clean the first few times but really how often do you need to fully strip it down.
    Once you do it a few times, nothing to it ... I take mine apart after EVERY range session, and put it back together, NO PROBLEM ....

mizzi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Broad Ripple
    I've owned both and I'd vote ruger every time. Both are accurate, both are reliable, but my buck mark had screws that would keep working loose. Nothing works itself loose on the ruger. They really aren't that hard to take apart and if you don't like to just spray it with a carbine cleaner and watch all the dirt and junk get flushed out.

If it was the hex screws on the top, there are supposed to be nice little conical lock washers in there to prevent those screws from coming loose. I've never experienced that problem in 1000s of rounds through my buckmark. Which, IMHO, is a better gun than the ruger. I own rugers, love em, but buckmark I just love more... Ergonomics is probably the #1 factor.

Top Bottom