• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Is there a manufacturer out there that makes something similar to the ruger MkIII's but in a larger caliber? I always liked the looks of the pistol and found them to be dead accurate, but for defense they lack the punch. If someone made one in a .40 or .45, I would definitely have to take a look or two.

outlaw2842

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    ive never seen one.it would be a pretty cool gun though to have.im sure sooner or later we will see some.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    So, you're looking for something that looks cosmetically the same? A German Luger is the only thing that somes to mind looks-wise (although the action is totally different). There have been some modern reproductions, but I don't think anyone is making repros now. The way the action is it's very expensive to mfg, and it has a reputation as not being as reliable as the 1911 from what I understand.

I'm not sure that picking a gun based on cosmetics is a very good strategy.

Ergonomics is another matter, howwever. Maybe you shoot the Rugers well due to the grip angle. If that's the case, try something with a similar grip angle such as a Glock.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    I do love P-08s, P-38s (P1's as well) and C96's. However I would also like to find a pistol of modern manufacture where parts availability isn't too tough (which the walther's do have tons of parts, too bad there were only 4 .45's made :) )

All of my Rugers performed exceptionally well. Not only was I comfortable with the grips, but also the actions. There was one that was used... well abused that wasn't worth a darn, but I got rid of that one. I have shot over a thousand rounds through them without incident, save for some cheap ammo one time.

I actually came across the Rugers because I liked the look of the Automag, but the cost, reliability, ammo and parts aren't very practical.

ONLY choosing on aesthetics is a bad idea, however if you can get something that appeals to your eye and performs its role perfectly, then what else can you ask for? :)

I have/had several pistols, however I have never liked the feel of the synthetic pistols.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well, lets see here then. The Lugers are the only thing I can think of that are similar in the "looks" dept. We've talked about grip angle.

Action-wise, the Ruger MKs are blowbacks. There aren't too many blowbacks around over .380 ACP though. The Hi Points are blowbacks, so the action would be similar in that regard (but the looks and grip angle are different). Blowbacks in service calibers tend to be top heavy due to the slide mass needed to function properly and/or have a heavier recoil spring. The Browning action helps keep things lighter.

I wouldn't expect a production defensive pistol to be as accurate as a target pistol because the engineering is skewed a little more toward the reliability side of the equation.

That's about all I can think of.

Top Bottom