• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    Shouldered the M77/44 black syn/stainless this weekend and felt very comfortable. :D Does anyone have experience with this rifle for deer? Accuracy? What manufactured ammo does this gun like, since I don't reload? Thanks!

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Old ones with the tang safety and sturm ruger barrels are better, much better... But they are still good guns for the money...I was shooting mine today at 1,000

0064d3f7b7c00487b83258b998a9d07c_zpsbb6a52ad.jpg

7e0362840952de4bd2574f6dc9979e26_zpsa5dcbb9a.jpg

And brads 300WM

a911f7cf7adecb222c4028a4355bd257_zps20a83af7.jpg

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have the walnut/blued version. They are LIGHT rifles, and the .44 is a relatively slow round so muzzle jump can throw accuracy. When shooting from bags it is important to hold against muzzle flip either by holding down the top of the barrel or by the sling. I reload and shoot 240 XTPs. A buddy that doesn't reload uses the Hornady custom xtp loads. Neither of our 77/44s really cared for the 225 FTXs. If you're used to shooting 1MOA rifles, you may be initially disappointed by the accuracy of the round. If you can get 2.5" groups at 100 yds you'll be doing alright.

I also slicked up the trigger on mine. Many of these come from the factory with a 7-8 lb. trigger. That heavy of a trigger in this light of a rifle makes accuracy tough, so I got mine to a crisp 4 lbs. and it made a big difference.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Shouldered the M77/44 black syn/stainless this weekend and felt very comfortable. :D Does anyone have experience with this rifle for deer? Accuracy? What manufactured ammo does this gun like, since I don't reload? Thanks!

I used mine last year for the first time as before it I shot an H&R in .44 mag. This rifle was made for deer hunting IMO. Light weight, short (good in treestands) and the .44 mag will knock deer down, usually where they stand.

As far as accuracy, the .44 mag is NOT a long range cartridge. Myself, I consider 100 yards really pushing it, but again that's my opinion as it is a pistol cartridge after all. The woods I usually hunt in most shots are 50-75 yards tops. All that said the 77/44 is capable of excellent accuracy, IMO the shooter is the weak link.

As far as ammo, I shoot the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo. The deer I've hit with it have either dropped where they stood, or taken very few steps before they drop. It has punched large holes thru them, and blood loss is massive. I have a couple of pics where a doe walked by a tree, and the trees look like someone took a can of red spray paint to them.

andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    Agree with a 100 yard shot being marginal, most of my shots are < 75yds. And I was hoping to hear positive results with the lever revolution and this ruger. I have used the lever revolution with a marlin lever action and they sure do work....fast!!!

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Agree with a 100 yard shot being marginal, most of my shots are < 75yds. And I was hoping to hear positive results with the lever revolution and this ruger. I have used the lever revolution with a marlin lever action and they sure do work....fast!!!

That round groups more than well enough to hunt deer with in my rifle. But then I'm not one who really cares all that much about putting several rounds thru the same hole as that isn't necessary to hunt deer. I would say my results have been 2"-3" at ranges I'm hunting at.

One thing to keep in mind about the 77/44 is with the 90* throw on bolt it will come VERY close to hitting the scope bell when chambering or extracting a round. Some don't like that fact, me... not a big deal.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Use a smaller eye-bell scope like a Leupold and the bolt throw isn't too bad.
    Use a Bushnell Banner or similar and it sucks.
    I've shot one with both, tolerable with the Leupold.............barely.

andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    I couldn't resist. Went to my LGS and he just happen to get one the day before, I took it home with me before someone else did. Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I have a SS/synthetic one- one of the ones from the first time around before they stopped making them and started again. I got it with the plan of sending it off to get an integral suppressor, since I have a suppressed 77/22 and thought a big version would be nice. After goofing around with it a little bit, I decided to leave it alone.

The best part of it is the weight. I think it's 5.25 lbs as it comes. For comparison, I think that's the same weight as the little bitty Browning takedown .22 auto. That's light.
    It is nearly two pounds less than the Marlin 1894 FG .41 magnum I had. Comparing them, the "heavy" one is already light, so the Ruger is like nothing. It really is like carrying a .22 around.

As said, it takes some extra effort at the bench. I reach under the front rest, grab the forend tip and pull back hard. If I don't, I get a flyer or two in the group because it doesn't take much for it to recoil a little different.

The trigger doesn't help either. Luckily, it is almost identical to the 77/22 trigger. There are some rimfire forums with tuning tips, and an aftermarket 77/22 trigger should work. I have a Spec-Tech trigger in my 77/22 and it helped a lot. I need to get another for the 77/44.

I'm always reading that the 77/44 magazine won't handle long, heavy bullets. I haven't had any trouble yet. Any of the heavier jacketed bullets I've tried have two crimp grooves, so the bullet can be seated to work in such a magazine. I cast my own bullets, and have an SSK mould that makes a 340 grain .44 TC bullet, and I can use it in the magazine although I am using the "seating ledge" near the top.

I assume current ones would be the same, but mine has a 1-20" twist and does fine with heavy bullets. A lot of .44 rifles are 1-38. In fact, it seems to prefer heavier bullets. It likes the Hornady 300 XTP, and it's favorite cast is a semi-custom 277 grain FP.

I've got it to shoot just about every bullet OK, but sometimes it took some work and I might only find one decent load with a given bullet. I have moulds as light as 133 grain roundballs and a 135 grain roundnose, up to the 340 I mentioned eariler. That's a pretty broad range. With jacketed, I've used 200 to 300.

The poster about the bolt handle being close to the scope when raised. I have clearance, but I'm only using a 1-4X Leupold. Personally, I think that's plenty of scope for this rifle. At 1X, I can use it like a red dot and shoot with both eyes open, and 4X is enough for it's intended targets. A scope that's any bigger on this rifle starts to mess with it's handiness, IMO.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Mine is a 77/357 synthetic stock stainless barrel and receiver. At 50 yards it is in and around the 10 circle all day. It does seem to drift a bit when the barrel gets warm.
    I shoot mostly REmington and Federal hollow point 115 adn 125 grain loads and love it

andyoz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    North Central
    Scoping it is my next task, I will keep the 1-4x in mind. And can't wait to sight it in, I will be starting with Lever-revolutions since I already have them on hand.
    My father wants one of now, he is drooling over it.!! Haha

geoexchange

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    I'm new here, but did a search and was looking at posts on the 77/44.

I bought a 77/44 a few weeks ago for my son to hog hunt with until he can practice more with my Super Redhawk. Camo/Stainless. Trigger is horrible, so thanks for steering me towards the aftermarket triggers.

To sum it up - I absolutely love this rifle. It is light, reasonably accurate (for hunting) and easy to shoot. I scoped it, but removed the scope because it just wasn't as "handy" as the open sights and I don't intend to shoot past 75 yards. I'm loading 240gr. XTP's in .430", not .429. .430 seemed to get the accuracy into the 1" at 50 yards, almost 2" at 100. My favorite load for this rifle is 24gr. H110, CCI 350, 240gr. XTP. (Which is surprisingly the same load I use for my SRH 7.5"!)

Lap the bore, or use good shooting-in/cleaning practices. The rifling was pretty rough when new.

This handy little rifle has quickly become one of my favorites, and I'm usually not one to accept less than MOA from a rifle....

mrtdrew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 22, 2011
    NW Indy
    i love mine it could be more accurate but for what i use it for it does just fine took a 450 pound hog in tenessee with mine last year great little gun

Top Bottom