• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like the LCR - I (personally) would rather have a hammer for single-action if I deem it necessary, and in a pocket-carry kinda gun it'd be shrouded like a S&W 438. I think the LCR is a smoother action than my S&W, but the hammer is the selling point for me. YMMV, of course - my dad carries an LCR on a daily basis and it's a fine revolver.

On a bigger revolver I agree with this, however on a self defense revolver I wouldn't want the super short single action trigger and you don't have time to cock the hammer if a situation arises.

I have had a couple j frames and I very much prefer the LCR. I love it with the XS sight.

RandomName

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    IF money is no object, go for the Ruger. I handled the LCR, the Taurus CIA Ultra-light, and the S&W 642 back to back. I ended up with the Taurus. They were all fine guns, but the Taurus was $200 cheaper than the Ruger and I didn't feel like the Ruger was $200 better.

Note this was when the LCR first came out, they may be cheaper now so the gap may have closed.

The physical dimensions were about the same, and while the Taurus is a few ounces heavier, once they are loaded I didn't feel any real difference. I also think the Taurus sucks up recoil a bit better, and me and it just "clicked".

Finally, I wouldn't worry about .357 in a snubby. The shorter barrel doesn't benefit much from the extra powder like a 6" does, you get a lot of extra recoil and muzzle flash for not much velocity gain. .38+p is fine.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    Great gun. Don't make the mistake of buying one in .38. Get the .357 so you can shoot .38 at range and carry .357. (obviously you will want to do some shooting with .357 at range to get a good feel for how the gun acts with that round in case you have to shoot defensively.)

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Great gun. Don't make the mistake of buying one in .38. Get the .357 so you can shoot .38 at range and carry .357. (obviously you will want to do some shooting with .357 at range to get a good feel for how the gun acts with that round in case you have to shoot defensively.)

I disagree, I would opt for the .38 version every time. Imo .357 out of a snub is a waste. You get all the recoil, muzzle flash, and not much more velocity. With such a short barrel the .357 advantages are not nearly as great. Ill take the lighter gun every time.

Your mileage may vary. The .357 version would be fun to shoot at the range though.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    My wife has an LCR, I have had a Smith 442 for a while now. Both are excellent snubbies, but my preference is with the Smith. She loves her Ruger wheel gun.

On a side note, we both have .380 pocket guns, and ironically, I went with the Ruger, and she chose the Smith.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I disagree, I would opt for the .38 version every time. Imo .357 out of a snub is a waste. You get all the recoil, muzzle flash, and not much more velocity. With such a short barrel the .357 advantages are not nearly as great. Ill take the lighter gun every time.

Your mileage may vary. The .357 version would be fun to shoot at the range though.

I see your point but differ because I personally have full size 357 wheelguns I carry often with 357 ammo. With a 357 snubbie there is no concern if say something happens to where I have some 357 ammo and have to use the snubbie.

Also the 38 Special could be loaded a lot more potent than it is from the factories. 357 ammo still gives it a big boost even in a snubbi. Sure it won't perform like it would in a 4 or 6" barrel but no caliber would.

If you don't routenly have a bigger gun in say your truck moot point I guess!

Top Bottom