• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RA8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Carmel
    I haven't shot an LCR, but I have shot an LCP. I normally shoot .40 S&W in pistol, and a whole range of long guns, I have felt "pain" from quite a few sources, but nothing compares to the pain of the LCP. It physically hurt my hands to shoot it. It may be because I have bigger hands and can't get a comfortable grip, but it wasn't fun at all. As far as design, the slide is very hard to rack, the trigger is long and heavy, and for me the frame is too narrow.

I think the LCP is an awful gun, with a round that, while capable, has better and cheaper alternatives to it. I would go with the LCR even without having shot one. Just by looking at it, it looks more comfortable, and you cant be the simplicity of a revolver for a new shooter.

I agree, the only reason she should get an LCP is if she is going to hide it in her pocket. I have an LCP(the same one Aclark is speaking about hurting his hands) and I don't enjoy shooting it, but when I go running, or wear fitted jeans, and cant waistband carry, the LCP is boss. If I had a purse, I'd go LCR. By the way, Aclark, what would be your better and cheaper alternative that has the size and weight of the LCP beat or at least matched?

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Most girls I know have trouble racking the slide on my LCP. So I came up with the following saying "there is always one in the chamber, shoot six and reload" however, after 2 clips it hurts.

The one thing about my LCP is it sucked right out of the box. I had to polish the feed ramp and order wolff springs. Then i shot 200 or so FMJ in a row and the failure to feed stopped. Then i looked down at my trigger finger to find it bloody, so i had to file to crease in the center of the trigger down.

I can't say that I have ever heard of a LCR failing to feed right out of the box. So, keep that in mind. However, after about 300 rounds with the last 80 of those being Gold Dots I trust my life to my lcp and it is so thin, it disappears even in the tightest of jean pockets.

Also, please don't let her purse/off body carry. The first thing a thief goes for is a ladies purse, guess what, he now has her gun to use on her now. Get her a nice cross breed mini tuck or smart carry or even a pocket holster with a wallet like shape to get rid of printing.

Sorry this was so long

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love shooting my LCP. The recoil doesn't bother me, it's actually part of the fun. Also I put a set of Wolff extra power 12-lb springs in it, to protect the frame from bashing of the slide. The only problem is that I can't hit well enough, compared to shooting full size pistols. But, accurary is no worse shooting a 357 snubby. I just can't find enough ammo (cheap Walmart stuff) to feed the thing...

And, for racking the slide, if you stay with factory standard 9-lb recoild springs, the wife should have no trouble racking it. My wife can do it, and she's 5 foot 1, 105 lbs...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My wife has decided she wants the LCP instead of the LCR for her next gun, for a very simple reason. She often wears clothes, such as dresses or skirts, that are not conducive to holster or pocket carry. The LCP slips right in her bra, and flat disappears.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Neither the LCR nor the LCP (or any lightweight/ultra compact gun) is a good choice for an inexperienced shooter.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Thank you for such quick responses. She has very little experience shooting, and the only real issue we have with the revolver is the lack of a saftey.

The only REAL safety on a gun is the one between your ears...if that one's not working, you probably shouldn't even be thinking about a gun. Train correctly...and the main safety will work properly. :dunno:

We keep a Glock 32 in the house...it has three (3) safeties, but none of them matter if the main one (the one between the ears) isn't working!!!

A gun is as safe as you treat it...and only as dangerous as you make it!!! :twocents:

random_eyes

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2009
    I bought the crimson trace laser for my LCR. Loving the laser portion so far. The grip oesn't seem to have the same amount of padding nor ergonomics, so I'm wondering how that will affect the recoil. Also got some cheaper aluminum 38 special ammo.

clyde

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    I vote lcr. Just easier to maintain. In the long run, that's what I think it always comes down to with handguns in this class. Small autos can be finicky if not maintained. Revolvers require much less care in this regard. Will she maintain it properly for as long as she uses it as her EDC piece? Others can provide info specific to the lcp, but either firearm is prolly going to be an up close get off me kind of gun as neither would be preferred in a confrontation even if handguns were the only option. I hope i haven't just posed more questions, hell tell her to get a Smith. I know, 'typical'.:)

Top Bottom