• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Well the title pretty much says it all. Tell me what you think of each. Which one do you have and why? I am shopping this specific market. I am open to suggestions of alternatives to these two but understand that there is a purpose to this size pistol. Thanks guys.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Shoot both. I did and I was shocked.

I have a SR1911 and a SR9c so I'm no Ruger hater. But my dad and I took a borrowed LCP and his TCP to the range. I was all prepared to blow him crap because of his crappy TCP.

(Keep in mind, both were flawless)

The Taurus won going away. Better grip. Easier to rack. Better sights (if you can call it that). Much, much easier to shoot.

I own one now.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Shoot both. I did and I was shocked.

I have a SR1911 and a SR9c so I'm no Ruger hater. But my dad and I took a borrowed LCP and his TCP to the range. I was all prepared to blow him crap because of his crappy TCP.

(Keep in mind, both were flawless)

The Taurus won going away. Better grip. Easier to rack. Better sights (if you can call it that). Much, much easier to shoot.

I own one now.

Wow. Certainly not what I expected. For no good reason, in my mind, I guess I default to the Ruger but wanted to atleast consider the TCP. I suppose I need to find people to borrow them from and try them both first.

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I love my TCP..I have about 300 flawless rounds. I've also put about 200 reloads, again with no issue except with my low power rounds which again that was part of my loading curve. I know have it dialed in well and enjoy it a lot. The TCP had issues with some models past those 6k have been resolved also the mag needs just a little filling but past that your good to go. Very comfortable, easy, does not break the bank and can pocket carry. I'm having a hard time putting away for winter. I'll be at Indy Trading Post later to shoot it one last time. I did buy my daughter an LC9 and she keeps comming back to the TCP.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/307698-taurus-tcp-380-a.html

Last edited:

gncc600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Lafayette
    For the money and the features I think the TCP has an advantage.... but that said I still prefer the Ruger. Ruger has better customer support and is american made.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I have both and I consider the Taurus the better gun. Only thing I don't like about it is that crappy magazine base. Makes me want to reconsider carrying a reload in the opposite pocket.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have owned both. I actually liked them both. I favored the LCP slightly over the TCP. I have sold them both, because the Sig P238 is far and away the better gun. I have 2 and my wife has 1. I don't know why the recoil is so much less, but it is. Super easy to rack the slide. Amazing sights. I think you would have to shoot one to fully appreciate it. Sorry, but you did ask for alternatives.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had the LCP. My son bought it from another INGOer who did not like it. My son did not like it either and sold it to raise cash to buy the TCP. The TCP was the B model and did not work well. Sent it back to Taurus, who "fixed" it free of charge and returned in in less than a month. It came back with the same problem. :ugh:

The internet fori were full of claims Taurus would not fix it properly, so I allowed another INGOer to work on it for me. His first effort made it far worse. His second effort made it an excellent weapon. Fires every time and eats anything. About 300 rounds through it post repairs. Best weapon I have to carry when I run. :cool:

Since completing the repairs, I have learned that the C and D model lines corrected the problem that plagued my B model. Tauri users on the web now assert that the TCP is 100% reliable and that the company does a great job on necessary repairs if there is a problem on any of its weapons. :coffee:

I like Rugers. American made, solid, reliable. Can't beat the 10/22 or the SP101. But I can't afford them. :spend: I can buy two Tauri (almost) for the price of one Ruger. I have found the Tauri reliable and accurate—and affordable. I can afford to feed it after I buy it. :draw:

:twocents:

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have owned both. I actually liked them both. I favored the LCP slightly over the TCP. I have sold them both, because the Sig P238 is far and away the better gun. I have 2 and my wife has 1. I don't know why the recoil is so much less, but it is. Super easy to rack the slide. Amazing sights. I think you would have to shoot one to fully appreciate it. Sorry, but you did ask for alternatives.

I have the P238 too and while it is by far the best quality and easiest shooting .380 it does not have the pocket carrying qualities that the plastic streamlined LCP/TCP do. Plus at almost 3x the price, I'm not willing to treat it like I treat the TCP.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    My TCP has worked out very well. Perfect size. Started with a S&W Bodyguard 38 but it just printed too much. Picked up a hip pocket holster from Uncle George. TCP in that holster goes with me just about everywhere. Gander has them on sale now for $199. Tempted to purchase another.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have the P238 too and while it is by far the best quality and easiest shooting .380 it does not have the pocket carrying qualities that the plastic streamlined LCP/TCP do. Plus at almost 3x the price, I'm not willing to treat it like I treat the TCP.

I have to agree. And honestly if I were to fork over that money I would go with the 938. Excellent excellent weapons both the 238 and 938 no doubt in my mind but I would not want to sit on one. I plan on carrying the LCP or TCP in a wallet holster.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I have the Ruger LCP and it is my most carried gun, 5 days a week to work. It shoots nice for the size, I have never had a problem with it not shooting and it is extremely comfortable to carry.
    I have no opinion of the TCP.

Something to keep in mind, the Ruger is made in American and Ruger IMO has the best customer service in the industry. Simply Unbeatable!! If you ever have a problem they will make it right for you.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

I can understand not wanting a P238 if you are on an extremely tight budget, but there is not enough difference in size or shape to really make a difference when it comes to pocket carry. Just get the right holster and you are good to go. Like I said I liked both the LCP and the TCP...but unless I was going to be in mud and water all day long, for days on end, how are you going to hurt a P238 while pocket carrying in a quality holster. Hoppe's #9 and WD40 aren't that expensive.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I think there is a huge difference in size and shape.

Read this:

Taurus TCP vs the Sig P238

5 ounces is a HUGE difference for a pocket gun. As for shape, the Sig has appendages like sights and safeties and a slide stop and a beavertail and other stuff that sticks out. It is not AS sleek as the TCP.

That said, I LOVE my P238 SAS. When I carry it, I use a tiny little IWB holster that disappears. But for pocket carry, the TCP is better.

JB357Mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Yea!
    I guy I worked with had the LCP and it rusted like
    crazy everyday.

You can get the Taurus in stainless steel, done deal for me.

Jimmy

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I have the LCP, good gun, never had any issues with the functionality of it. The finish was terrible though, the factory blueing rusts super easy. easy enough to correct, just a quick parkerize job on the slide and no more rust issues. I also put a Hogue hybrid grip on it, makes a huge difference for those that do not have tiny hands.

My wife went looking for a .380 in that size, and ended up going with the S&W Bodyguard. It was a bit more expensive, but the it also comes with an integral laser sight. The finish is better, and the iron sights are actually sights that can be adjusted. If I had it to do over again, I would probably have went with the Smith, or at least a stainless Ruger, though I am not unsatisfied with the one that I currently have.

I cannot comment on the Taurus, as I have not shot one, but every other Taurus that I have shot has not left me disappointed.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I think there is a huge difference in size and shape.

Read this:

Taurus TCP vs the Sig P238

5 ounces is a HUGE difference for a pocket gun. As for shape, the Sig has appendages like sights and safeties and a slide stop and a beavertail and other stuff that sticks out. It is not AS sleek as the TCP.

That said, I LOVE my P238 SAS. When I carry it, I use a tiny little IWB holster that disappears. But for pocket carry, the TCP is better.

This is proof that everyone is different and everyone has an opinion, and everyone prefers one thing over another, and everyone has different sized pockets.:laugh: For me the Sig works in the pocket. For others the TCP or LCP. If you read INGO long enough, you will notice that some carry an XDs in their pocket. Most of the time I carry a CM9 IWB, some times a Hi-Power, sometimes the Sig in my pocket. My point is for the OP, any of the guns will work. You need to try them out for yourself. You will not know which "you" prefer until you do. Good luck on your search.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I've never shot a LCP but I do have a TCP. I've always been a Ruger fan but I liked the feel of the TCP. It's my EDC.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hey Justin, I may be a little late but I wanted to jump in promoting sig also! But another option is Kahr. The CW model is about the same price as your ruger or taurus but far superior in my opinion...

Top Bottom