• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I already posted a thread about BUG's but I specifically want to hear opinions on the Ruger LCP vs Sig Sauer P238 as a BUG or deep concealment gun. These are two different price categories (atleast to me they are) but I am a firm believer in "you get what you pay for".

Let's here first hand expirience and opinions.
    Whats the best bang for your buck etc.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I have the Sig. It is a better shooting gun in every way. The LCP is a mother to shoot.

But the LCP is reliable and will work when/if you need it. You're not giving up anything in terms of reliability with the Ruger.

Although I carry the P238 in my pocket sometimes, I feel more comfortable with it IWB.

For a BUG that you can just slap in a pocket, I think the LCP is a better choice. Even though the Sig is the better gun.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have the Sig. It is a better shooting gun in every way. The LCP is a mother to shoot.

But the LCP is reliable and will work when/if you need it. You're not giving up anything in terms of reliability with the Ruger.

Although I carry the P238 in my pocket sometimes, I feel more comfortable with it IWB.

For a BUG that you can just slap in a pocket, I think the LCP is a better choice. Even though the Sig is the better gun.

Can you elaborate on the LCP being a "mother to shoot" ? I more than likely will not have a chance to fire an LCP before I buy one because idk anyone that has one.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    It is small and it is light and when you pull the trigger the recoil is noticeable and just not very pleasant at all. I've had some people call it "painful".

Its not a gun I would take to the range and shoot for fun with.

If you buy it, you're going to test it and put a couple boxes through it to make sure it works with all kinds of ammo and then put it in your pocket.

But... you're not going to care about any of that bad stuff if you need it.

It is a gun for a very specific purpose and it excels at that.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    If a Sig P238 is in your price range, the only reason I would ever recommend an LCP instead is if someone personally prefers double action to cocked/manual safety carry, and specifically already decided on .380.

The Sig has better sights, a better trigger, and the recoil IMO does not seem quite as harsh. Simply, most shooters will get better results out of the Sig.

Ofcourse, the LCP is around $300ish, while the Sig P238 is closer to $600ish. Still, IMO, you get what you pay for.

I own both, and the LCP generally only comes out to let friends shoot it if they are thinking of purchasing their own.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    As for the Sig.

DSCF1795.jpg

I love mine. It is "pretty" and you can dress it up with aftermarket grips and mine has night sights and it is very "comfortable" to shoot.

And even though mine is the "Sig Anti-Snag" model, it is still square-ish and not as condusive to pocket carry (even though I do). Being that I have to carry it cocked and locked I always am cognizant of the hammer when holstering (I put my thumb in there when manipulating).

The LCP is Double Action Only and probably less prone to accidental discharge.

Oh yeah, the Sig costs twice as much.

I wish I had both. If I did, I'd probably carry the LCP more.

Last edited:

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    The LCP is Double Action Only and probably less prone to accidental discharge.

This is an excellent point to consider when looking at these two guns. I agree with everything that has been mentioned above about other factors as well. I strongly suggest shooting both of these if you can before purchase. I was able to spend some time with a friends Sig at an indoor range just last week, and was very impressed! The Sig is such a nice shooting gun when compared to any double action. I own a S&W Bodyguard which has quite a long double action trigger. I've practiced with it, and am comfortable, but it does take practice. the single action Sig is just like any of the larger framed guns you probably already own and shoot, and will function just like you think and want it to.

The Sig is on my short list of guns I'd like to own, and replace my current BG with, it would get my vote for sure!

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I wouldn't call the LCP recoil "painful". It's not fun, but then it's not a range gun. Simple, small, inexpensive, and easy - no safety to mess with if needed.

If you carry it regularly, I would recommend shooting a few rounds and cleaning it at least once a month. It will collect a lot of pocket lint, and it can get balky.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Can you elaborate on the LCP being a "mother to shoot" ? I more than likely will not have a chance to fire an LCP before I buy one because idk anyone that has one.

I have a LCP and live in the just north of Greenwood if you would like to get together and shoot mine. My fiance has a P238 that you could shoot at the same time to compare.

I own the LCP and only have it because i got a good deal on it, her P238 on the other hand is the most expensive gun we own. If i found the right deal/time i would trade the LCP for a 238. The 238 shoots better, feels better, looks better. I would not however regret having the LCP on my ankle/in my pocket if the time came to use it. It is not a range gun by any means but if i need it i wont care what pistol is in my hand.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I wouldn't call the LCP recoil "painful". It's not fun, but then it's not a range gun. Simple, small, inexpensive, and easy - no safety to mess with if needed.

If you carry it regularly, I would recommend shooting a few rounds and cleaning it at least once a month. It will collect a lot of pocket lint, and it can get balky.

^^^this^^^ as well. I had not cleaned mine in a while and went to the range and had to tap the slide entirely too many times for comfort, it would not return to battery. I clean it regularly now.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    LCP vs P238

This thread is certainly timely for me. I just sold a LCP and am awaiting delivery of a P238 Extreme for my wife. I am a believer in practicing with what you carry and the LCP is not conducive to much practice. There's not much to grab ahold of and not much weight to absorb recoil. What recoil the .380 has is all yours. The LCP is handy as can be, though. Pocket carry is a little less likely with the Sig. I'd rather call the LCP double-action trigger something else. Like double-long pull, or double-hard to keep on target. I know it's intended for short range "social work" but my wife's first remark was how bad the trigger was. I don't want her thinking about that when she needs all her focus on the job at hand.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have a LCP and live in the just north of Greenwood if you would like to get together and shoot mine. My fiance has a P238 that you could shoot at the same time to compare.

I own the LCP and only have it because i got a good deal on it, her P238 on the other hand is the most expensive gun we own. If i found the right deal/time i would trade the LCP for a 238. The 238 shoots better, feels better, looks better. I would not however regret having the LCP on my ankle/in my pocket if the time came to use it. It is not a range gun by any means but if i need it i wont care what pistol is in my hand.

I'd love to be able to shoot both! Do you have a place to shoot? I agree the P238 looks better and probably does shoot better but the main purpose of the gun, no matter which one i buy, will be a BUG so I just dont know if I can spend that much.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    This thread is certainly timely for me. I just sold a LCP and am awaiting delivery of a P238 Extreme for my wife. I am a believer in practicing with what you carry and the LCP is not conducive to much practice. There's not much to grab ahold of and not much weight to absorb recoil. What recoil the .380 has is all yours. The LCP is handy as can be, though. Pocket carry is a little less likely with the Sig. I'd rather call the LCP double-action trigger something else. Like double-long pull, or double-hard to keep on target. I know it's intended for short range "social work" but my wife's first remark was how bad the trigger was. I don't want her thinking about that when she needs all her focus on the job at hand.

I am curious if there is a way to work on that trigger? Possibly swapping a spring? If there is one?

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    S&W Body Guard

Just for the sake of confusion (actually I am just curious), lets add in the Smith and Wesson Body Guard to the debate! I suppose it's as much of an option as a BUG as the LCP or P238 is!

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    I went through the same process you are a few months ago. I never shoot the LCP or the S&W but did dry fire them at a gun shop when looking. They both have long trigger pulls and thats just something I have not had the time to practice at to be a good shooter using and a BUG of this size is not something your really want to learn that skill with IMHO. I ended up with the P238 because of the trigger and being able to shoot it.

I'd be willing to let you shoot my P238 if your interested. I work in Beech Grove and have been meaning to get down to the new range and check it out anyway, you could meet me down there one day after work.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I'd love to be able to shoot both! Do you have a place to shoot? I agree the P238 looks better and probably does shoot better but the main purpose of the gun, no matter which one i buy, will be a BUG so I just dont know if I can spend that much.

Beechgrove firearms or ITP are where I would go. Pm me and we can maybe arrange something, I may be getting rid of the LCP soon anyways.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I doubt it

I am curious if there is a way to work on that trigger? Possibly swapping a spring? If there is one?

I'm not a gunsmith but I doubt there is much can be done for the LCP trigger. IMO, the issue is the overly long travel due to it being double-action. Obviously, it's intended for very short range use but it's hard to shoot well. I like to be able to keep all my shots on a 6" Shoot.N.C. at 6-7 yards. It was tough with the Ruger. It is what it is. I want a little more.

Put a P238 in layaway for the wife this afternoon.

airmotive

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    I paid something like $270 for my LCP a couple years ago, to replace a Bersa 380 I gave to my father-in-law.
    It's a "disposable" gun...just like the Bersa.
    Just like the Bersa, its usual home is stuffed into the side of my driver's side car seat.
    Unlike the Bersa, the LCP goes into a 'wallet holster' in my back pocket when I get out of my car...like at a gas station. The awesome size of the LCP makes this possible.
    The LCP never comes inside my house. It never gets any respect. It doesn't get coddled. If my car gets stolen or broken into, I'll tell the police, but I won't weep for the loss of that gun. The awesome price of the LCP (and Bersa) makes this possible.

A $600 Sig would be too precious for me to treat like this. As a result, it wouldn't always be "right there when I need it", like a cheap pair of sun glasses you keep in your center console. The Sig would be like a $100 pair of Oakleys that's sitting in its case on your dresser while you're trying to drive into a blinding sunrise.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    A $600 Sig would be too precious for me to treat like this. As a result, it wouldn't always be "right there when I need it", like a cheap pair of sun glasses you keep in your center console. The Sig would be like a $100 pair of Oakleys that's sitting in its case on your dresser while you're trying to drive into a blinding sunrise.

Tell me about it. My P238 came out of the truck console when I got my PF-9 back from my dad (who couldn't shoot it).

BTW, you need to get with the times, good sunglasses are a lot more than $100 these days... ;) $100 are the cheap ones from Costco...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I love my LCP as a pocket gun. Its reliable and I stack it with FMJs. Never had a problem with it. It does its intended job at conversational distance so no need to worry about sights. You can add a laser if you want to

Top Bottom