• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Looking for a small backup gun for Cathy, for when circumstances or clothing doesn't permit her to carry a bigger gun. She's handled and likes the feel of both guns. The Kel-Tec is a little cheaper, not as finely finished, doesn't have a slide stop. I'm not sure in this case the slide stop is a big factor, since the one on the Ruger is so small as to be next to useless anyway.

She's a little recoil shy, and isn't particularly fond of a snappy gun. I've never fired a .32 ACP of any size or shape, and never fired a .380 as small as the LCP. I've heard some folks say the LCP is snappy, and some say it stings a bit. Would the .32 be a little more pleasant (relatively speaking) to to shoot? Obviously, I want her to practice with her mouse gun as well as her full size gun, and it's hard to practice well if you dread pulling the trigger!! If anyone can provide a first hand comparison between the two it sure would be useful.

I'm aware of the limitations of both calibers. I consider both to be... minimal... at best. I figure the slightly lower "power" of the .32 is offset by the additional round it carries. In any case, it beats spitting on someone.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Looking for a small backup gun for Cathy, for when circumstances or clothing doesn't permit her to carry a bigger gun. She's handled and likes the feel of both guns. The Kel-Tec is a little cheaper, not as finely finished, doesn't have a slide stop. I'm not sure in this case the slide stop is a big factor, since the one on the Ruger is so small as to be next to useless anyway.

She's a little recoil shy, and isn't particularly fond of a snappy gun. I've never fired a .32 ACP of any size or shape, and never fired a .380 as small as the LCP. I've heard some folks say the LCP is snappy, and some say it stings a bit. Would the .32 be a little more pleasant (relatively speaking) to to shoot? Obviously, I want her to practice with her mouse gun as well as her full size gun, and it's hard to practice well if you dread pulling the trigger!! If anyone can provide a first hand comparison between the two it sure would be useful.

I'm aware of the limitations of both calibers. I consider both to be... minimal... at best. I figure the slightly lower "power" of the .32 is offset by the additional round it carries. In any case, it beats spitting on someone.

I think the choice is clear: the LCP.

It can be a tad uncomfortable to shoot 200 rounds through the LCP... but only a tad. I find my LCP to be a good shooter and more accurate than I thought it would be. 7 yard shots are very easy.

The bottom line is that you won't be buying the LCP for recreational shooting. It's job is to hide and then reliably hurt when needed. It does both of those things very well.

I wouldn't compromise down to .32. She will love the LCP and will be pleasantly surprised how it shoots. If we lived closer, I'd be happy to let your wife take mine out and put it through its paces.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well since I can only speak on the LCP since I have one and I have never shot a .32 either. I do know the LCP is a great lil gun and can be pretty rough on the hands after a 100 or so rounds. But you only have to shoot enough to feel comfortable with it. If you live anywhere near Indy I would be more than happy to let you and or cathy test it out. :yesway:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    LCP's are snappy, I like them very much but never enjoyed shooting more than 30-40 rounds at a time. My Diamondback DB 380 is better, I put 100 rounds through it this past Sunday. However I did have early breakage issues.

I recently acquired a keltec p32 but have not shot it yet. I have shot my Beretta 3032 and the recoil is less than an LCP.

I do not think the recoil of an LCP is so much as to make it a bad choice. I think part of the advantage of the smaller caliber will be offset by the smaller grip.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    If she is recoil shy then the 380 is probably not the gun for her. The 32 would be a better choice. Those small pocket guns are meant to be shot a little and carried a lot but you need to be proficient in the firearm you choose to carry. You can only get proficient by shooting. Also, you have to consider the ammo availability, 32's are easier to come by than 380's (at least in my area). I had a KelTec 380 and didn't like shooting it at all. I couldn't ever get a comfortable grip or trigger pull and they are snappy. I have shot 357, 44, 45 and for me they all were easier to handle than the Kel Tec. If I were to get another 380 though it would definitely be a Bersa. Sure they are not really a pocket gun but they would be fine in a purse and they shoot great, very easy to control.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I own both a Kel-Tec P32 and the P3AT. I wouldn't recommend the .380 to someone who wasn't really into guns. I like the extra round the .32 gives you and the recoil is a lot less. .32 ammo is easily found. I think Kel-Tec has a better customer service system if anything does go wrong. The LCP is a knock-off of the first Kel-Tec designs, KT is more refined nowadays. Recalls on the LCP's convinced me to by the P3AT instead of the Ruger.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Why no p3at on the list? I bought a new one recently and absolutely love it. This is the first mag I shot out of it. The target was at 7 yards. The first group was high and right as I figured out the sights, but the second group really impressed me at how accurate this tiny thing is.

387309700.jpg

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I carried a P-32 for quite a few years as a third gun, never had a bit of trouble in over a thousand rounds through it. I never cared that much for the lack of power tho and switched to a PF-9.
    I wonder why a J-Frame sized revolver isn't being considered? With loads like the standard velocity Glaser Silver the recoil is very manageable as the 80 grain projectile produces less felt recoil than a 110 or 125 yet is a better SD round than a hot 380. Even a low velocity round such as a 148 wadcutter target load would be preferable.

If at all possible rent a few of the handguns discussed and let her try them. Or attend a INGO shooting event, i would guess you would be able to try out several of these.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I carried a P-32 for quite a few years as a third gun, never had a bit of trouble in over a thousand rounds through it. I never cared that much for the lack of power tho and switched to a PF-9.
    I wonder why a J-Frame sized revolver isn't being considered? With loads like the standard velocity Glaser Silver the recoil is very manageable as the 80 grain projectile produces less felt recoil than a 110 or 125 yet is a better SD round than a hot 380. Even a low velocity round such as a 148 wadcutter target load would be preferable.

If at all possible rent a few of the handguns discussed and let her try them. Or attend a INGO shooting event, i would guess you would be able to try out several of these.

You can't fit a J frame revolver in a bra, at least not without looking kinda funny LOL. She's had a Taurus Model 85 ultralight, and actually liked that, but for the needs she's buying a backup gun for, it doesn't serve her needs. She's not a fan of purse carry, but for those occasions she chooses do do so, an XD9 will fit in her holster purse just fine, so there's no need for anything between that and a teensy tiny mouse gun she can carry on her person in any kind of clothing. These are the two guns she likes.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have had my p32 for several years now and I love it. I have never had any kind of malfunction with it and it isnt bad at all to shoot. I can find the ammo much easier than .380 ammo. Good luck with the decision. :ingo:

D.T.O.M.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    martinsville
    I am on my second LCP and yes it is a snappy little guy But I like it for what its for.
    I have never fired the Kel tec 32 but a buddy has one and he likes it as well.
    Just an FYI the belt clip for the Kel tecs also fit on the LCP. with todays ammo you can get I think the 32 would be fine for what she is wanting it for same as the 380!

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Joe in my opinion none of the smaller pocket style guns are real great to shoot but the Taurus TCP (I own one) is a pretty nice little gun. They do have a little snap but you can't find a gun that small with that caliber that isn't snappy. Maybe a little .22 mag derringer is the answer.

papakevin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    The 380 might be a bit too much if she doesn't like the kick. She'll enjoy shooting the 32 more, plus you can load up on ammo and give her plenty of range time. A lot of time with the gun so she's comfortable handling and shooting it is a big plus.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Joe, I'm in concurrence with the P32 crowd. I've got both a p32 and a p3at and carry them pretty much interchangeably, but the p32 is a LOT nicer to shoot. The grips on the p3at dig into my hands while I'm shooting, and make it a little uncomfortable. Like some of the others, just a few mags is all I want to shoot of the .380, (and can probably afford)...
    I'd suggest some really nice fitting leather gloves for range time, and the P32. That ought to give her a real reduction in percieved recoil and discomfort. And, as you've already surmised, that means more practice time.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My last price check at Plainfield

Ruger LCP $329
    KelTec P3AT $239
    Diamond Back $389
    Taurus 738 $269
    KelTec PF9 $249

(I have a P32, which I also bought from Plainfield for cheap)

fastwally

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Peru
    I think the smaller the hands the better the mouse guns fit and bite the hand less. I have a P3AT that bites my hand a little after 100 rds or so because it's harder to hold in my hand, but my sister-in-law just loves it. I think I would do what was suggested above and find a friend, furnish the ammo and try them. If you live near me get some 380 and give me a yell and you guys can shoot my Kel-Tec in the back yard.:rockwoot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    We've found a friend who's wife has a LCP. We'll pick up some ammo in a couple weeks, and answer the question once and for all as to whether Cathy likes the gun enough to shoot it enough for adequate practice. I'd be more comfortable with her having a .380 instead of .32, but she's the only one who can decide whether or not she'll like it.

Like to get her a P238, which is a gun she really loves and should be plenty pleasant to shoot, but it's just a little big for what she's decided her needs are in this small gun.

Top Bottom