• Ruger GP100 vs S&W 686

• Total voters

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Your asking the difference between a 24 oz framing hammer and a 12 oz finish hammer.

Both are great for the person holding the handle.

If I wanted to win bullseye matches the Smith wins hands down

If I wanted to beat zombies in the head after I was out of ammo the GP100 wins by a slight margin.

I have both and and wouldn't get rid of either

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Had both at the same time. Can not say one is better but kept the 6" gp100 and sold the 4" 686. Want to try deer hunting is the reason for keeping the 6".

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    When it comes to double action revolvers, does it really get any better than a Smith?? Now single action, Ruger and even Colt are better IMO. Since we are talking x2 I would say the 686.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The GP100 is a fighting revolver, the 686 (especially post lock) is more of a home defense, carry, and target gun.

Compare size and weight, those GP100s in any barrel length are a massive chunk of steel built to survive the end of the world. S&Ws are now lawyer locked and competition shooter oriented.

Apples and oranges really. I'll say this, a new GP100 will take a trigger job far better than a new S&W.

Do I own a GP100? Nope, but I have a 454 SRH 7.5" I love, and they both feel similar in size and quality.

I have a 686 SSR that I love to death, but I wouldn't really call it a combat revolver.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    You can spend a lot of money and buy a Smith Wesson and it will last a life time. Or, you can spend less money and buy a Ruger GP100 and it too will last a lifetime. It comes down to Value. Ruger offers a lot of value and they are a lot les costly. Frankly, I've owned 64-66 and 686 and m still trying to find the accuracy that everyone is talking about. I sold my S & W and still have Ruger revolvers.

RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I own a GP100. I've recently shot both the 686 and my GP100 right next to one another. It is very hard to say one is better than the other. I would say that the 686 is a touch more accurate. Both are solid and could stand a beating.
    All that said, I own the GP100

dannyb89

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    Noblesville
    GP100 for sure. Check out Wilson Combats custom spring kits. They really make the double action better on these six guns. I also hear they do one hell of a trigger job on the rugers.

brutalone

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Westside Indianapolis
    When it comes to double action revolvers, does it really get any better than a Smith?? Now single action, Ruger and even Colt are better IMO. Since we are talking x2 I would say the 686.
    The Colt Python has the smoothest action I have ever felt. That being said.... I would go for the GP100.... I have owned dozens of Rugers and everyone has been accurate and fairly smooth from the factory. A little tuning will make them even better.
    .....and you could shoot a million rounds through one and it will still be ready for your kids and grand kids to do the same.
    FYI I have a 2 5/8th blue Ruger Security Six I might sell if you guys are interested....:D

Top Bottom