• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercvrivs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Washington State
    So far it's my favorite revolver that I've shot. I shot 38sp out of it and compared it to the SP101 and the S&W Model 60. The GP100 fit my hands the best. Anyone else a fan of these?

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Got mine. Love it! 4", fixed sights, stainless, small and large grips! It's a very different gun in terms of feel when you switch them around.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    I have a SP101 and a S&W model 10. The S&W has trigger that is light years ahead of the Ruger. But to be fair, I replaced all the trigger spring in the 10 with lighter Wolff ones, and the Ruger has only had 1-200 rounds through it so its still suffering from newness, LOL.

My buddy has a GP100 that has a really nice trigger but my S&W still beats it pretty easy. But again the S&W is 53 years old so its not really a fair comparison.

Cant beat a Ruger if your going after raw durability, the GP100 is built like an overbuilt tank.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I ordered one of them when they came out , got mine before before most as I was LEO at the time and they were selling to LEO's first
    A Blued 4" model, yes it's one of the most comfortable smoothest shooting revolvers for me

Farmritch

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Toughest DA .357 on the planet! I love mine...it's a limited edition Target Gray model GP-100. Got an SP-101 with applewood grip inserts, Wolff springs and a Big Dot front sight, too. Can't go wrong with a Ruger wheelgun!

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    The first handgun I bought was a used 4" stainless GP-100. I still have it 17 years later and it's still one of my favorite guns. In November I bought a 7 1/2" Redhawk .44. I really like Rugers.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I wanted to reply and quote all the posts I agree with, but that would have been the entire thread
    :+1: TO ALL!!! :rockwoot:

:draw:

Love my GP100!!
    6" stainless, wolff springs (best upgrade to do, and inexpensive, to boot!)

Yes, S&W makes smoother triggers, but the wolff springs bring it close.

Tanks would have to be significantly improved to be built like GP100s.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The older Security-Six series were every bit as durable as the GP-100s are, but were more expensive to manufacture.

The GP-100 was designed, in part, to reduce mfg. costs (so Ruger could actually make some money). I think Bill Ruger said once they didn't make a dime of the Security-Sixes due to the mfg cost. So, the GP-100 wasn't developed in response to a funciontal deficiency in the Security-Six series (such as the S&W K frame .357s needing to be beefed up). I'd go so far as to say the GP-100 is a little over-engineered(!), but one can't dispute their durability.

Either should last a lifetime. Fan of both.

Last edited:

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    The first firearm I ever purcahsed was a 4" adjustable sight stainless Ruger GP100 in .357 mag. The year was 1989. Crap! It's been twenty years.

Here it is with a friend:
    gp100s.jpg

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I have one of the newer versions with the mono rubber grip. I would have rather had one of the older versions with the wood inlay grips. Call me crazy but I think the older model has a better trigger. Anyone else care to comment of the difference between the two?

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    I have one of the newer versions with the mono rubber grip. I would have rather had one of the older versions with the wood inlay grips. Call me crazy but I think the older model has a better trigger. Anyone else care to comment of the difference between the two?

The trigger mechanism is the same regardless of whether it has the newer Hogue grips or the older grips.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The trigger mechanism is the same regardless of whether it has the newer Hogue grips or the older grips.

What I'm wondering about is the quality of the newer version vice the older version. It could just be me and my imagination. But I own the newer version and have shot several of the older version guns, I wonder if the only thing that changed really was just the grips, just cosmetic?

Top Bottom