• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I couldn't find any threads or posts on the 77/22 here on INGO and was wondering if anyone else here had one. Even the posts on rimfire central are pretty thin. I got mine in a trade about a week ago and I am very pleased with it. What attracted me to the 77/22 is that it uses a scaled down Ruger 77 action. The action is very smooth and looks to be stronger than any .22 reasonably needs to be. Might not be true, but I believe all of the 77/xx actions are interchangeable, meaning the .22lr and .17m2 actions are the same as the .22wmr and .17hmr. I don't know whether the .22 hornet model is the same length, but I'm guessing the .44 mag version is slightly larger.

One of the greatest things (at least to me) about this rifle is that it takes plenitful 10/22 magazines, and a 10/22 barrel can be used with slight modification. It does this with some caveats, the stock 10/22 magazine doesn't sit perfectly flush on the bottom, but sticks out about 1/16" or so. The 77/22 has dual extractors, so another cut needs to be made opposite the existing one on 10/22 barrels. One thing that might be a drawback to some is that the 77/22 has no iron sights. I'm on the fence about this, I know that with the accuracy the rifle is intended for iron sights wouldn't be too great, and it looks great without them, but I would like the redundancy of having back up irons on it.

So all in all, I'm very happy with the rifle. I haven't had a chance to print groups with it yet, but I've been plinking around my property with it for a week or so now. I've fired about 100 rounds through it. It has proven to be very deadly to the chipmunks in my area. All in all I would say it's more accurate than I need it to be, but that brings me to my next point.

These rifles are $700 plus when new, which puts them in the same price range as its Browning and Weatherby counterparts. My question is how is Ruger justifying this price? I think the price accounts for the lack of 77/22 hop-ups out there. I haven't been able to track down an aftermarket stock for a 77/22 apart from the sole offering of Volquartsen, which I don't care for. Mine has the synthetic "boat paddle" and though it's a fine stock, I'd like a few different things it doesn't have. The barrel is definitely not free floated, and it has sling loops, not swivel studs, so no bipod at this time.

The one question I have that I can't find an answer to is: are all 77/22s stainless? Mine is apparently blued, but in the various spots of wear and scratches there is no rust. Is this what they call "target gray"? From the serial chart on the Ruger site, mine was made/shipped in 1989. Solid info on what exactly target gray is doesn't seem to exist.

Last edited:

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Useless information:

The same action was used for the 44mag version of the 77, so ya way overbuilt for a 22lr (which is a good thing). Rugers were one of the only guns that I found were modeled after the centerfire action, and kept the look. As good as savage rimfires go, they still look like a rimfire.

I love Ruger rimfire rifles just cant justify the pricy awesomeness of the 77/22. Congrats on the rifle.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks, I'm really happy with it. But the gears instantly start turning over hop ups whenever I look at a rimfire. I think the first thing I need on it is better glass. It has a Simmons fixed 4x32 on it now. It's nice and clear and seems to be holding zero, but I'd like a variable that goes up to 12. As soon as I find out what kind of groups it prints I'll decide on what I want to do with it, might wind up as an EBR(imfire), but if it shoots well, I'd be happy to leave it alone.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I think it's mandatory that if you have a .22 hornet you handload them :) I'm not sure if I'm ready to go that far.

I've looked into different barrels, but I don't want the Volquartsen stock. I don't know where to find a stock with the .92" barrel channel other than that. From the exploded view in the owner's manual it looks like the synthetic stock actually has cross bolts that clamp the barrel, so I don't think channeling it would work too well. I don't think I would swap out for a barrel that was tapered, I would want a bull barrel with a target crown.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    The same action was used for the 44mag version of the 77, so ya way overbuilt for a 22lr (which is a good thing).

The Hornet and 44 actions are longer than that of the 22LR.

About the only things they share with their rimfire counterparts are design cues, some trigger/striker and safety bits and scope mounts.

The 22 Hornet version and the 44 version both are virtually identical, both have threaded barrels instead of the 10/22 style clamp retention and share the same basic stock inletting.

Serial Crusher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    I was just reading about the hornet barrels being threaded in on the Lilja precision site. Too bad, that would be a seriously braggable reason to have a 77/22.

I've been doing more searching, still no luck in finding a tacticool stock.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I just saw a 77/22 in 22lr at gander on the southside going for a little under 600... i believe it was new too.... that said the bolt seemed to have a bit more tension when lifting it than i would like... i am going with the cz 452

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 22lr
    The same action was used for the 44mag version of the 77, so ya way overbuilt for a 22lr (which is a good thing).

The Hornet and 44 actions are longer than that of the 22LR.

Ahh could be, Rugers catalog just says that the action was built for 22lr and proved strong enough for the 44mag. Doesn't say anything about a redesigned action other than the barrel was a screw in, but it very well could be. I never paid attention to the 44 version in detail in person as I hardly see any, and the ones for sale are rather expensive.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I think it's mandatory that if you have a .22 hornet you handload them :) I'm not sure if I'm ready to go that far.

I've looked into different barrels, but I don't want the Volquartsen stock. I don't know where to find a stock with the .92" barrel channel other than that. From the exploded view in the owner's manual it looks like the synthetic stock actually has cross bolts that clamp the barrel, so I don't think channeling it would work too well. I don't think I would swap out for a barrel that was tapered, I would want a bull barrel with a target crown.

It is not hard at all to load for the 77/22 hornet.. I have one and it is my favorite rifle to shoot..
    But if you want to save on brass you will want to have it rechambered to k-hornet to get more life out of the brass.

elliot454

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    I agree that a 77/22 is a great rimfire, but a used Kimber SVT stainless fluted heavy barrel with a great stock 7-800.00, is buy far a more accurate and dependable rifle, but I know that is only my opinion, and Ruger is also very dependable.

schoolmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    My 77/22 is the boat paddle design also and when I first got it I was about to make it trading stock as it didn't shoot good groups. Finally I tried some Remington subsonic and it settled down. Later when Win power points came out it shot those very well also. I had the trigger adjusted and slings loops replaced with studs. It is the all weather version and gets the call when the weather threatens to be bad.

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have a blued one with a wooden stock. It is very accurate and dependable to this point. Not sure how many rounds I have through it, but it is a lot. I have to knock down a few pineys every year to keep them from tearing up the building at the woods. It works great for that.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    I have a great one. Or should I say I have a great wife Who came with a walnut stocked 77/22 that shoots better than I could ever shoot it. By the way she can shoot it better than I can.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    would gander have a 77-22 havent seen them yill i looked at them on google... i want one

i have seen them at gander frequently but only one at a time max so if you see one and you want it i would buy it then... i dont know how often they get them in....

IGW

Top Bottom