• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HFDowner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    My first post on INGO was about this issue. I had the same three recommendations, but went with the 10/22 and never regretted it. I bought polymer as it was lighter.

Hjarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Denver,in
    I had the same problem but I went with the 597 but I have plans of getting a 10/22 as soon as I find the one I want a walnut stock with stainless

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    10/22. you cannot go wrong for a perfect/inexspensive plinking rifle.

Except for a few things: the stock trigger sucks, the stock sucks, they are $250+ new right now, mags are $20+. Marlin 795 has a better trigger, bolt hold open, and better barrel. The 10-22 is far, so very far, from perfect. It just has costly fixes avaliable for its many issues.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    I grew up on the 10/22 and when I purchased another 22 I wanted to try Remington's 597 with the new blow back system and a heavier barrel.

To me the 597 tis a bit more finniky, doesn't like some ammo loves others, I had to do a little tweaking to get it perfect, properly adjusting blowback screws and other little things.
    There isn't allot of Aftermarket parts for the 597 vs the 10/22 so if your lookin at adding a lot of bells the 597 might not be for you.

But if your looking for something different,affordable, simple and very accurate try a 597.

There have been more than a few posts on these two rifles I'd suggest checking out some of the past posts as well as Rimfire central.com for more info.

I absolutely love mine with recent tweaks, free floated the Barrel, added new target hammer, extractor. I had it ceramicoated in matte black,
    and about to do a few other cosmetics on it, "soon"

IMAG0370.jpg
    [/IMG]

3 round target 65-75 yds

IMAG0436.jpg

IMAG0454.jpg
    [/IMG]

Last edited:

Pinball81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    10/22 is an iconic rifle. I grew up shooting them, and got my first 10/22 from my grandfather. Still have it! Now waiting to buy a Target model from a fellow INGOer.

In any shape or form, you can't go wrong with a 10/22.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I debated this question when I was buying my son a .22 rifle for his 13th birthday. I went with the 597 because it is a little larger and seemed like it would fit him better. He has had it for 4 years now and loves it. For my daughters I will be buying them a 10/22 for the opposite reason in that it being smaller I feel like it will fit them better.

I will say that with the 597 he only uses the 10 rd. mags as they have never been a problem, the 30 rd'r we wound up throwing away, it would never feed 2 rounds in a row.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Except for a few things: the stock trigger sucks, the stock sucks, they are $250+ new right now, mags are $20+. Marlin 795 has a better trigger, bolt hold open, and better barrel. The 10-22 is far, so very far, from perfect. It just has costly fixes avaliable for its many issues.

My father in law who has been a life long 597 fan boy shot my Savage model 64 FVXP and was amazed on how great it shot out of the box.

Then I handed him my Ruger target rifle to shoot, and his reply was, the heck with my 597, the Savage is great, but this Ruger is magnificent.

Nuff said.:rockwoot:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    guys i have experience with both, the ruger is fantastic as we all know, the 597 i have is a PITA but when it works it's a nail driver, though lately it started to work much better. i gave it a new mag and took the bolt hold open off and it runs a lot better now, don't know why but Remington has modified the mags three times now since its been out, i have had all three mags and the newest mag is a must for my gun. by the way the marlin 795 is a nice gun as well i got one for Christmas.:twocents:

Top Bottom