• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I ended up buying a bolt buffer. I think I'm going to pick up the Volquartsen target hammer and probably the Volquartsen auto bolt-release next week. I can dremel the bolt-release myself, but I'd just as soon not modify stock parts so I can return it back to original condition if necessary. The after-market bolt-release is cheap enough anyway.

I'll be interested to see how the hammer and the buffer change the action of the rifle.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Definitely do a review of that VQ hammer if you end up getting it. I did the same thing with my bolt release, its always nice to have as many stock parts as possible in case anything ever breaks, or you want to return the gun to stock spec.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I must be one lucky son of a buck. I bought my 10/22 at a pawn shop in Kokomo for $165, with a cheap scope already attached. I bought a bunch of plastic Eagle 30 rd magazines and have never had a problem with stovepiping, other than with the original factory 10 rd magazine. The wife and I usually put a full bulk pack box of Federal downrange when we go.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sighted in my 10/22 today with my new Mueller APV scope. The image below was my first six shots (after sighting) at 30 yards.

mrtlar.jpg

Not too shabby. It's not sighted perfectly, but it was done without a bench rest, so I'd say I did alright. :)

Rhino: I picked up some FP-10 at Gander Mountain. Added a couple of drops to the action and it ran much better today. Still had a couple of FTE's, though, so I still want to disassemble it and oil it properly.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I managed to hit all the targets too so it's not a bad little gun. I liked the scope too. The daughter didn't shoot it today but I'm not sure she could. She was mad that we didn't bring her gun though. She didn't want to go in the first place so Scutter didn't think she'd want to shoot. I think she may have wanted to because no one else was there. I have to say I enjoyed going out to a range where there wasn't anyone around. Not to mention it's only about 10 minutes from home. Can't really beat that unless it's your back yard.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I really want one now. Reading your experiences is helping me set my goals for my first 10/22. I know I want a barrel that I can use my Outback II with. I am thinking I need a Bull barrel for better accuracy. And now that I have seen some of the fancy stocks, I will have to start shopping around for them at the shows or the internet.

Please keep feeding me more information.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Hello Scutter01,
    I bought my first ever RIFLE in 1986 @ Service Merchandise in Clarksville, IN for $95.00.
    YOU guessed it,, it is a Ruger 10/22 reg. barrel. BEST lil gun I've ever owned.. I found that the CCI Mini Mags shoot the best of out her. Tight tight groups. I keep the mags fully loaded all the time and have never had any issues with it not wanting to feed from the mags. I purchased a second mag when I bought this gun for a spare. I put a Tasco 6x9 scope on it, and have killed many many squirrels with it over the years. I've probably only had 3 instances where it didn't load a shell. And that was because I let it get too dirty in the slide before cleaning.
    Great report.........
    To the others considering buying a 10/22... Don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

mandolin3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Magazine notes: I have a TI25 (expensive) magazine, and have found it to be a little fussy. If I keep the follower track and rotary spring lubed with graphite powder it works well...I have also found that adjusting its' top screws so it is LOOSE in the mag well works better than adjusting them for a snug fit.
    I have had the best luck with factory 10rd magazines...I have some of the TRIMAG devices that connects 3 factory magazines into sort of a triangle and they work great!

irishhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Mooresville
    That rifle is sick , in a good way , where can I get the tri mag , I am runing a tac innovation mage now but like that look and I can see it being a benifit off the bench

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    TriMags are available on line. Mine came from one of our Advertising Supporters: Bradis in Camby. The magazines were Ruger factory mags that I dyed myself.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    LOL... I got my first 10/22 at Service Merchandise in '93.

Hello Scutter01,
    I bought my first ever RIFLE in 1986 @ Service Merchandise in Clarksville, IN for $95.00.
    YOU guessed it,, it is a Ruger 10/22 reg. barrel. BEST lil gun I've ever owned.. I found that the CCI Mini Mags shoot the best of out her. Tight tight groups. I keep the mags fully loaded all the time and have never had any issues with it not wanting to feed from the mags. I purchased a second mag when I bought this gun for a spare. I put a Tasco 6x9 scope on it, and have killed many many squirrels with it over the years. I've probably only had 3 instances where it didn't load a shell. And that was because I let it get too dirty in the slide before cleaning.
    Great report.........
    To the others considering buying a 10/22... Don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

Ruger47274

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    No (wish I did...). The one I have now which is an all-weather carbine I bought at Galyan's in '99. Gonna keep that one.
    I've actually got another 10/22 that I purchased somewhere around 95. It is a stainless model with a full length stock. I bought it to set up for my second squirrel rifle when my daughter got old enough to start going with me. She went a few times, but, turned out she didn't like it that much. So, we never got to the point of teaching her to shoot, let a lone carry her own gun into the woods.. So,,, this second 10/22 I bought is still in the gun cabinet and has never had a shell put in it. :rolleyes: Always good to have a spare I guess. hehe

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    When I got inside my '99 SS carbine to install VQ parts, I was amazed at the high quality and low wear of all the guts in there. I made sure I can return it to stock anytime.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom