Ruger 10/22 or Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 for rimfire matches?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A friend bought a S&W 22 for use in CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches at 25 and 50 yards. He is a Master Class Highpower shooter. (BigDaddy1427) He knows how to shoot from position. The semi auto S&W 22 is not even close to being accurate enough.

He switched to a 10-22 and started winning.

As for me, if anyone cares, I use a Remington Model 5 bolt action 22. It is more than accurate enough. It can surely shoot clean. I can't, but that is my problem...

Last edited:

himant

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    have both also, everytime its range time i grab the 15-22..just seems like more "fun", dont know why,, if im looking to drive a tack,i will take the 10-22,one advantge to the 15-22 is clean up, just like an AR platform.. the ruger takes a little more time to do it right

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Both loads of fun. The 15-22 is a hell of a lot easier to clean, that's for sure. Can't go wrong with either. Pick one now and buy the other later ;)

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    As much as I am wanting to do the rimfire matches, starting to think it won't happen. This is not because of lack of gun, I still plan to purchase a Ruger 10/22 in the next two months. It is because of two other factors. First being that Federal Bulk 550 .22lr packs are as hard to come by as .223 rounds now. Second being that Ruger BX 25 magazines are going for about 50 a piece at the minimum. Factory 10 round magazines are going for 30 at the minimum. It is freaking nuts. I want to shoot my 9mm at the range, but finding 9mm is completely out locally at Walmart. I need to get to Gander Mountain and some other places in town to see what they have. At least I can still shoot my shotgun, shells for it are still on the shelf at Walmart and not selling as fast as handgun rounds.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Well, I hadn't looked there. Looked on ebay, gun broker and a few others. But still, even if I had to use 10 round mags, I would be behind the 8 ball as everyone else would have 25 mags. I am sure I could use someones, but finding .22lr is hard also.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    OP, you are talking about Rimfire Madness Matches at Riley? Second, this happened last elections; a lot of people bought up everything in sight. Hope by spring supply will catch up again.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Well, I hadn't looked there. Looked on ebay, gun broker and a few others. But still, even if I had to use 10 round mags, I would be behind the 8 ball as everyone else would have 25 mags. I am sure I could use someones, but finding .22lr is hard also.

You can prder BX25s direct from Ruger for $30. Might take a few weeks since they are on back order, but they are taking orders, limit of 5. I ordered 5 last week. ;)

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    OP, you are talking about Rimfire Madness Matches at Riley? Second, this happened last elections; a lot of people bought up everything in sight. Hope by spring supply will catch up again.

Yep, Riley CC rimfire. Been to two of them, first time i shot a M&P 15-22 and then the second time I shot my old P22. The P22 was not that great, so I traded it for a shotgun and will get a Ruger 10/22 next month sometime. The big reason I went with a 10/22 is cost.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Yep, Riley CC rimfire. Been to two of them, first time i shot a M&P 15-22 and then the second time I shot my old P22. The P22 was not that great, so I traded it for a shotgun and will get a Ruger 10/22 next month sometime. The big reason I went with a 10/22 is cost.

After my first match I bought another 25 round mag. Mag changes will kill your time. If the match gets bigger I hope they implement classes i.e. 10 round class.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    I love my 10/22. So far I got 300 in it (175 for gun, 25 for red dot, 50 for magazine release from Tatical solutions & install, 44 for BX25 x2 magazine). I was also given two Butler Creek hot lips magazines and a BC 10 round magazine.

Looking at next upgrades already. Charging handle is probably next. After that I don't know. I do plan on upgrading trigger assemblies (seen a KIDD aluminum machined housing with 1 3/4 pound trigger job for 250) and stock.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    A friend bought a S&W 22 for use in CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches at 25 and 50 yards. He is a Master Class Highpower shooter. (BigDaddy1427) He knows how to shoot from position. The semi auto S&W 22 is not even close to being accurate enough.

He switched to a 10-22 and started winning.

As for me, if anyone cares, I use a Remington Model 5 bolt action 22. It is more than accurate enough. It can surely shoot clean. I can't, but that is my problem...

The S&W would be in the T class. Is that a little more "open" with the scoring?

PS - what's the deal with FWRR rimfire matches this year without Ken?

brdhntr37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    I have the 10/22 and wouldn't trade it. You can customize it however you want and actually make it very accurate. I have even seen kits to take 2 of the 10/22s and turn them into a gatlin gun

Top Bottom