• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Igotgills2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Fort Fun
    In my infinite wisdom (right) I have decided to start modifying my 10/22. Guy down the street has a Volq's tricked out unit but i really am not too keen on spending 900.00 plus on my piece. I had someone work on the stock trigger and it feels much better but still isnt quite all it can be.

Suggestions on Barrel/stocks? Looked at Kidd barrels and trigger groups.

Any feedback on under 225.00 barrels????

Not looking for Comp level, just squirrels and small ground varmints out to 100 yds..ish.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Leave the 10/22 as is unless you don't like the stock for ergonomic reasons.

I chamfered the bolt, reshaped the bolt release, added a bolt buffer, put a power custom hammer/sear in, added a set screw to stop trigger overtravel, and added a VQ extracter to mine and it's like a different rifle. I also got a new take off stock barrel and new stock for my 24 year old 10/22.

You already had trigger work done, so chamfering the bolt and reshaping the bolt release (it doesn't do anything for accuracy, but being able to close the bolt by just pulling back on the bolt handle is nice) is free and only take a few minutes.

Basically, if your rifle isn't horribly inaccurate or experiencing a lot of FTE's (which is common) you can make it a lot nicer for cheap. After that, if you still want to do more, you know as well as I do that you can spend $1000 on it easily.

Last edited:

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    +1 on keeping the stock barrel. The barrel and bolt are the only things still stock on mine.
    I changed to a stock that fit me and got my face up behind the optic. it is a Boyds. Looks as good as it works.
    Love the bolt release mod.
    Added a longer bold handle (priceless to clear a misfire on the clock).
    Recently added the Tactical Solutions extended mag release.

Save the money you would have spend on a fat barrel that weighs the same as the stock one and buy a nice optic or some tactical innovation magazines.

NOTE the pic is of the old tru-glo optic. I now run a Bushnell zoom dot.

picture.php

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Save the money you would have spend on a fat barrel that weighs the same as the stock one and buy a nice optic or some tactical innovation magazines.

My Tactical Solutions bull barrel is 15 oz., which is quite a bit lighter than the stock tapered barrel that came with my rifle.

BTW, that build is hot. You have any better pics?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Barrels

Green Mountain barrels are easily the best bang for the buck and closer to $100 than $225. A GM "factory contour" barrel will fit the factory stock with only light sanding right in front of the reciever. Most aftermarket barrels have no iron sights. Changing the hammer (only) to either Power Custom or Volquartsen will make a big difference in trigger pull. Usually down to about 2.5 lbs.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I'm still running a factory barrel and stock though I have made some minor mods so far. Power custom's adj sear, hammer and bushings. Vol auto bolt release and ext mag release, and a shockstop bolt buffer. I also put a Simmon's 4-12 x 40 AO scope on it which I totally love. The PC parts brought my trigger pull down to 2.6 and really helped me bring my group size down. Another aspect that no one else mentioned yet is ammo. I've found a huge difference in the accuracy of my gun in terms of the ammo I'm using. I'm still sorting it out for which one I (and the gun) like best, my next purchase will be Eley's as I've heard very good things about them. For that matter, I've heard Wolf match ammo is pretty decent too. My 10/22 wasn't a nail driver out of the box but I could put full mags into a 3" group at 100yds (which may have been my fault and not the guns). Good luck with your build and you can also find a wealth of info over at rimfirecentral.com.

Barrel, stock, and bipod are the next on my wish list.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    I second the comments about Green Mountain barrels. Cheap, accurate, and a lot of options available to fit your style. You can sand the barrel channel out to make a .920 barrel fit on a standard stock.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have a valquartzen bolt buffer and mag release in all of my 10/22s. The tac-sol barrels are sweet if you want to lighten it up. I also like the butler creek and green mountain ones if your more on a budget. The hogue rubber stocks are also a personal favorite of mine if you want a grippier lighter rifle.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    My Tactical Solutions bull barrel is 15 oz., which is quite a bit lighter than the stock tapered barrel that came with my rifle.

BTW, that build is hot. You have any better pics?

Great, now you have killed my logic for NOT buying a TS barrel and comp! My only reservation is that my current setup is 99.9% reliable. A must for steel.

And thanks. Ill upload some better pics.

ccochran3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Clinton
    what types of bipods fit the 10/22 best? I've been thinking about getting one for mine and didnt know if anyone had any good preferences?

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    what types of bipods fit the 10/22 best? I've been thinking about getting one for mine and didnt know if anyone had any good preferences?

Since I don't have mine yet, but have done some research on the subject I'll chime in. Considering the size of the 10/22 I'm looking at a shorter bipod. The 9"-13" seems pretty standard but I think I'm looking for something like the 6"-9". This setup will fit my plans for this rifle which will primarily be a bench shooter and occasional varmint gun. They do make some really long bipods (ie 20"+) but I've heard they still get a little wobbly when fully extended. The people I've heard using these really long bipods seem to be those shooting from a seated position on the ground.

All this being said, I now wonder if your question was geared toward what size bipod, or what brand. I havn't settled for any specific brand yet, I'll research that issue when I'm a little closer to purchase later this summer. I'm sure others will chime in with more info. Hope this helps

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Before you throw a bi-pod on that 10/22, you should attend an Appleseed with it. You'll never want to use a bi-pod again! I can hit 200 yards easy with nothing but a sling now (about 100 with the 10/22 and a sling) :thumbsup:

Top Bottom