• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've done several of them using a quarter-round miniature file. The only downside is the time and the need to assemble it to check for function only to find it needs a little bit more removed. There are a number of you tube videos on the topic.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I tore it down and cleaned it last night. I took a wire brush(from gun cleaning kit) to the area where the bolt runs. It cleaned up the 'grinding' noticeable. Its obviously the overspray thats in there.

I also youtubed bolt buffers and such. I'll give them a try.

Its so much nicer to tear down than my model 60(my main gripe is the recoil spring on the 60)...but my dad bought my model 60 for me...and I'll pass it on to my daughter as her next gun I think. Although a pink 10/22 would look nice for her. :D

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I cleaned all the paint off the rails, polished the bolt, added a bolt buffer and did the bolt release mod on all my 10-22's. A chainsaw file is a great file to use if you don't have a Dremel. The key is to round the area. Not make it flat. That's the issue most have when they do it. Very worth while mod. Whether you buy it or mod it!

After a few hundred rounds I removed the bolt and looked for wear(scratched paint) on the inside of the receiver. I sanded off and polished the inside. Did not remove metal. It changed the action smoothness a ton! Smooth as silk.

I have a aftermarket Volquartsen Trigger in one and love it. I gave a try and polishing the trigger on the leftover trigger group and it came out great! Trying your own trigger job is not for everyone YMMV. The after market Kid triggers are awesome too.

Man, there is so much you can do with a 10-22. Or you can just shoot it! It's a win either way! Enjoy it!

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Dang! I bought a 10/22 for that price from Rural King.... just a couple days before they added that free magazine to sweeten the deal.
    OH well! just the schafe luck, I guess. :dunno:

next time you're in there...tell 'em how badly they chafed the ol' schafe and see if they don't hand you a mag :cool:
    :dunno: worth a shot...

scrub buck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    usa
    I had one back in the day. I thought the trigger was to slow to recover in between shots for a 22 semi. It's cool they make all the acc's for them now, but i don't need a $700.00 22 semi i can't feed .

jh1978

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Valparaiso, IN
    Years ago I had a choice between a 10/22 and a Marlin 795. I chose the marlin cuz it was $20 cheaper, for what looked like a very similar rifle. I kinda regret not going the 10/22, but i think i saved myself a few hundred in extra crap i undoubtedly would have bought. I just slapped a $20 4x scope on it and a $10 sling called it a day.

I do like the 10/22 takedown models though, that might be on my short list of purchases...

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    Can't shoot it as I don't have enough ammo to feed it, but was in Rural King in Columbus yesterday and saw they still had them for 200 bucks. I asked the gal to look at the 'wood' one. She said yah, it also comes free with that 'mag'. A BX-25 Ruger extend magazine. I was pretty stoked. Not about the longer mag as I won't use it much...just the fact it was a good price and came with 25-30 bucks of free stuff with it.

It appears they're selling the 'carbine' models for 199. I didn't realize til I got it home it might be different from the normal ones...but took it out shooting right away(limited myself to 20 rounds) and thought it shot well. Had one failure to feed. Pull of the bolt and it slammed the bullet in and no more issues.

One of the things that caused me to want this one was it had the 50th Anniversary markings on it. Just thought it was neat.

So my plans are to plink around with it and maybe modify it. I've been wanting to do a M1 Carbine Clone of it. Was looking for a used one to modify...but everyone wants new prices for used 10/22s...so I bought a new one. Won't do any non-reversible stuff to it...but I do like it.

The action seems kind of grimey on it and the bolt catch isn't working right...so I need to tear it down and clean it good and see if I can get things smoothed out. Definitely not as smooth out of the box as my Henry 22 lever is.

Anyway, thought I'd share!

I wish I had never bought one.... I keep buying more of them to customize!!! They are a ton of fun! And if you get tired, you can make it something new for pretty cheap!

abuckle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I love my 10/22, lots of options for these as well. I intended to buy a basic model and accessorize it, but have honestly been happy as it came out of the box.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Cheaper to order it than to go buy a Dremel.
    Never give up the opportunity to buy new tools!

I can't figure out why Ruger just doesn't fix it.
    Because according to them and their lawyers it's a "feature".

Best 22 there is!!!
    Meh.

Although, $200 for a 10/22 and a BX-25 is a sweet deal.

And as for mods, the bolt buffer is a great one. (1) it eliminates that cheap sounding clink and (2) it gives confidence to new gun-owners-soon-to-be-gunsmiths.

EDIT: Here's mine, an M1 carbine conversion: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0-what-she-wants-christmas-2.html#post3594370

As all 10/22 threads, this ones got a lot of members with 50ish post counts. :rolleyes: :ingo:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom